• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crafty Turtles Species Thread.

CraftyTurtle

Haha, there's that mooneye smile

Nice work on 20.

I may have to head south this weekend instead of north... we shall see. I need 8 to catch up to y'all! Sheesh!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraftyTurtle

• MNFishhunter

• Schollmeier

• ted4887

Thanks Slab it has been a real fun battle so far. Fishhunter has been pushing me to the limits. Casting in wind i have never even thaught about casting in and trying new things. I think he has also talked me in to getting three more rods darn it I need a 6,8,9 wt yet then I will have 5-10 wt covered for all posible stiuations.

You will have to let fishhunter and I know when you are going to be down maybe he will take off or fish after he is done with work on the weekend or something. We have been hitting it hard but it would be fun to get together and drink a couple beers and shoot the breeze.

Thanks scholl. I have been spending a lot of time fishing for this contest and for my all time fishing species ever caught list. I have marked down a lot of fish that i have never caught before and i have done it all on the fly. This spring I hung up my covectional rods and said i was not going to take them down this year at all so far I have been trrue to it and have caught more fish and more species then I ever had. What a great year.

Always good to see people broadening their fishing horizons. We all have favorites but learning how to catch new species is always exciting (and can teach you a lot about fishing in general)

• 1 month later...

Well It has been a long Three weeks without touching a fly rod. First day out and I was greeted by the fish gods again. Thanks Fish gods. Also i want to say thanks to MNfishhunter for taking the pictures I was so excited that i for got the camera in the truck fail.

#21 Bowfin (DOGGY FISH) Caught on a size 16 caddis what a rush she faught like a champ so intense I Screamed like a school girl. LOL

bow1.jpg

Well not my best Picture i was talking and ryan took the pic. But still a sexy fish and the My first bow fin on a Fly Rod.

bow2.jpg

Well Mnfishhunter I will not let you get away with catching a brown Bullhead with out me since we did find it together. Caught two just before a storm got to me and the heat was kicking my butt also. LOL So here it is.

#22 Brown Bullhead

P1010168.jpg

P1010172.jpg

Oops almost for got about the card. to make it true.

P1010171.jpg

P1010162.jpg

Nice freakin brown bullheads, Crafty!!!! New water is always good and there's plenty out there yet!! That's the great part.

It's always fun, and thats the point.

nice! good Brown Bully spots are few and far between. Be glad that wasn't a Yellow, or else you might be short one thumbnail...

Thank mnfishhunter we have had a hell of a run so far this year and this contest is not over yet let's work on some others. We have had a lot of fun with this and the species are starting to really slow down but if we work hard enough we will make it work.

Scholl tell me more about yellow bullys I would lose a thumbnail?? Where should we start looking for these little guys? So I asume they bite down hard?? If you would pm me with any information that wooould help me and mnfishhunter out that would be awsome. One of these days the three of us should get together and have a couple of beers and shake are stick at some fishies..

Ever lip a Channel Cat? If so did it convince you to never do that again? Pretty much the same deal with Yellows, I think I've had Blacks crunch my thumb too? Maybe? I can't recall that happening with a Brown but maybe just chance...

Yellows prefer weedy lakes - I usually find them in the same deep cabbage that kicks out good numbers of pike/muskies. That said some small rivers and barren backwaters/ponds kick out good numbers too.

I'll let ya know if I get a free chance to fish the next time I'm down that way. I have family down in that area but, of course, that means that I usually end up pretty busy when I do get down there. If you guys end up in the North shoot me a message, only a couple months or so before the fall lake run fish hit the tributaries...

• 2 weeks later...

So the day started out slow Mississippi is poo. But still had some luck with pan fish. Before the night was out I had my first experince catching a kitty onthe Fly.

#23 Channel Kitty

P1000720.jpg

SO SEXY.

Wow!!!! How did I do that under your login!!!!!! Enjoy the vid guys!!!!

Check out the rest too. Yes a shameless plug for my other vids too.

Great job Donny!!! It was alot of fun!!!

I dare you guys to watch this!!!!! Secret location and fly rodding tecniques!!!!!!

Well.....actually.......

Not really, a lot of guessing on my part and Donnie very focused on a fish.

But here's a hint..... blue sign...........blue sign..........

Wow, a cat on a fly. Nice catch. I've been trying to catch one in a spot I knew they were in, but now it appears as tough they've vanished. Must have been a good fight!

Onafly- in the previous post there's a link to a video I recorded of Crafty landing his catfish. Click on it. Catfish are very doable on a fly.

Both species, flathead and channel.

This cat fish put up the most fight out of any fish this year. I think it faught harder then the dog fish I caught on a 5wt with a 10# tipit on my leader. The cat fish was dragging me around in the boat. I thaught she was going to break my rod. The hole fight I never got to really see her until I got her in the net. I may have caught cat fish when I was young but that has been so long and dont really know if I did catch them so I am not going to count them so I believe that this was my first cat fish caught and it was on a TFO Fly rod.

Is there an issue posting a blog link on here????

An explanation please? If not, here's the link again.

I think that might be a yellow bass. The mis-aligned stripes and size make it look like a yellow. It's a threatened species in MN.

Yeah, I would vote he be the end-all species judge for the competition. He's definitely up on his IDs!

My guess is it's a white bass. I would love for it to be a yellow bass.

Just doesn't look like one.

it's a yellow.. 110% positive... the key ID to a yellow is the broken lateral lines near the anal fin.. I caught one within the last month or so.. it's on my species list

Quote:
full-29372-23035-p1060612.jpg

how bout you try google images.. or the mndnr website.. you'll see a white bass has unbroked lateral lines.. but what do I know? whistle