• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A little help please

JoeTC

Going to give the St Croix a try this year for the first and have a couple basic questions. I've looked over the river on my map chip and looks like there is everything from very shallow narrow areas to deeper and wider areas and Lake St Croix. Can someone suggest some general stretches for starting out? Also, what are some good landings to use on the MN side? Looking to fish walleyes.

Thanks,

Joe

How I did it Joe was to break the river down into sections. Prescot to the Kinni, The Kinni to Afton and Afton to the Bridge is what I did. It was to much overload for my brain trying to figure out that much water so I just stayed to those certain sections till I know what was going on. Now I pretty much Fish between the Kinni and Prescott and got to know it pretty well. The launch I use is the Bluffs.I buy the Park pass every year and Its worked out pretty well for me. Hope that helps

There really isn't any public access to the Croix other than the Boomsite above Stillwater, and that doesn't have much parking and seems to be always full.

You can launch at a couple places in Hudson, right downtown at the park and the south end of town. Beanies just across the river in Minnesota just south of the bridge is a popular spot. Beanies also has a baitstore and is usually a pretty good place to go for advice.

I often launch at the Windmill Marina in Afton. All these places are kind of expensive but offer nice ramps. The Bluffs is a very nice park south of Afton, north of Prescott. $5 a time, or $25 for the year. This is probably the nicest ramp on the river. There's also ramps in Prescott and Hastings that I'm not very familiar with.

eyesonly gave good advice about breaking the river down to sections. He did leave out the section upriver from the Hudson bridge though. There's good fishing in the whole river as far upstream as you care to go.

Just beware that the river gets VERY busy with large boat traffic on the weekends. I like to fish weekdays, or very early mornings on weekends.

Good luck!

It depends on where you choose to launch the boat. Where will you fish? You need to pick and area to help talk fishing.

Turk

It depends on where you choose to launch the boat. Where will you fish? You need to pick and area to help talk fishing.

Turk

I'll probably start out by launching at beanie's as that's the closest for me. Maybe fish from there down towards Afton.

Joe

Well if you launch at Beanies you can not help but see all the anglers in the Hudson Channel. Which is between the I94 bridge and the Swing bridge. Here anglers drift fish livebait and troll crankbaits. The fish are normally in a few areas but not super concentrated so the whole area produces fish. Now each year is different, so soon very soon we will see how the bite is. Looking forward to it myself.

Thanks,

Turk

I've always been a fan of that stretch from St. Croix Bluffs going up to the Kinni. Plenty of spots between launch and the mouth of the Kinni. Just haven't been able to pin an extremely hot bite, but have had enough rod bending action to keep me interested in that area.

Any of you guys have some opinions/feelings/speculations/hazard warnings about the stretch going north from William O'Brien park and up? Was thinking about exploring that stretch for opener, but am a bit hesitant due to water levels. Walleyes good that way as well?

1eyered that stretch is good. I always go that route every year but there are lots a boat traffic during opener weekend and its tough due to pressure. For water level it should be fine as long as you know what you doin.

1eyeRed, You bet. There can be a good bite up near the St Croix Falls, Osceola area as well! Just got to do your homework, and keep your spots to yourself. Its nice not having to deal with as many boats/fishermen your going to find from Lake St Croix - South.. good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.