• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

College Hockey - Off Season and Pre Season

Bear55

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• solbes

• cbrooks

• yakfisher

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dell offically left UND and sign with the ECHL, kind of a puzzling move but I think we all knew something was up there. Gophs and Sioux with big holes in net, whoever finds the best plug for that hole could have the advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

About a month to go for the college season openers. No lockout here folks!

Right on time, four UND hockey players have been suspended for a team party. Just a one game suspension. Thought it was funny that the team will receive "weekly team alcohol education programming". Mmm hmm.

Mariucci gets a new scoreboard. I will have to see that in person I think.

Almost time for the final edition of WCHA pre-season rankings (at least the WCHA as we know it). I'll try to put some thought into how I would rank the teams top to bottom.

I'll be at the Gopher game on Oct 6th vs Lethbridge. I honestly don't know who that is, but I haven't been to a Gopher game in a couple years, plus I'll get to see the new scoreboard, so I'm excited for it!

Anyone see the syllabus on that "weekly alcohol education training"? If they have some good stuff I might want to sign up? smile

SCSU starts on the road at UNH. They were under .500 last year but are typically pretty tough. Hopefully they can start things out right for the West from the get go.

Right on time, four UND hockey players have been suspended for a team party. Just a one game suspension. Thought it was funny that the team will receive "weekly team alcohol education programming". Mmm hmm.

The coaches want to camp down before frost bite season is here, probably a smart move. grin

It does get cold in Grand Forks doesn't it? Losing a shoe in a snowbank, ouch my toes hurt just thinking about it.

On a semi-related note, do they still loan out those mopeds at the U?

He does still have 2 brothers playing for the Gophs this year. Sandy, please keep the team on the ice and away from any social gatherings, especially team parties.

Get ready for some awesome news: Don Adam is heading up the NCHC reffing. Silver lining - at least it wasn't Shep.

About a month to go for the college season openers. No lockout here folks!

Mariucci gets a new scoreboard. I will have to see that in person I think.

Almost time for the final edition of WCHA pre-season rankings (at least the WCHA as we know it). I'll try to put some thought into how I would rank the teams top to bottom.

Word on the street is this may be a bigger deal than just hosting a party. Apparently there was hazing involved from what I was told. If so, we'll see if this gets swept under the rug.

I mean how stupid can these kids be?

Quote:

We prefer giving "straight cash homey" to our athletes over here in bow-tie land. smile

You gotta admit Wooger is a good guy .... I'm mean how many coaches give $500 cash to a graduated player....DOH!

Oh and Bryce, if my math is correct has it really been a Bakers Dozen "13 years" since the once famed and often overrated Sioux have won a National title!

Also, try to shoot a little better this weekend if you make it out, Teal are small, fast and you have to lead em a little.... grin

Probably not, way to ruin it for everyone Budish!

The hockey forums has been all too quiet lately, I think it's time to troll the Sioux fans and rile things up a little, lets face it, your team is in trouble.

To start, the Sioux are not better than their 4th place WCHA finish last year. Let me explain why...

grinwink

Your best player signed early to attempt to play for the worst frachise in the NHL, oh and its a lock out year so he still signed knowing his odds of the bright AHL lights were extremely high.

Then their senior goalie and best returning defensive player by a large margin leaves the team to sign a ECHL... Seriously who does that? Its the fricken ECHL!!!!!

Now you have to ask yourself where is the offense going to come from, sure Knight and Rowney are hard workers with some O but they aren't All Americans with NHL skills. Their best hope is a senior with bad toes who's NHL team didn't care enough to sign him and a redshirt freshman midget with bad knees. Sure that 1 goal Grimaldi scored last year was cool and he might be the savior down the road but there are tons of ??? this year.

To add salt to the wound there is all kinds of CHL/recruiting drama, the party/suspension just before the season can't be good and they don't have anyone to sucker punch Rau/replace Ben Blood in the handshake line. Sure they could send Forbort after him but I think Rau could take him and Forbors NHL team wouldn't be too happy about him getting whooped by a kid giving up 8 inches and 60lbs. The kings probably send him straight to the ECHL, oh ya with Dell...

Then to top things off you have the big coaching change, sure maybe it was needed but did you change the right guy???? Again lets face it, Hack has had plenty of time and great players/teams but hasnt gotten the job done, its been a long long time since your last NC. The pressure is getting to him

Everyone take a long hard look at this photo and tell me you dont see a deer in the headlights. I had to crop it so he wouldn't flip us the "double Hakstols".

und_hakstol.jpg

I learned long ago you can't argue with maroon colored glasses. Thinck and ignorant grin

That all being said, as long as the next 5 for us aren't as aweful as the last 5 for you we will be just fine.

Hak is the new age Wooger, just good enough to keep your competetive but not good enough to win it all. Don't think of it as a gopher like collapse of the resent past but slow train to nowhere.

I was hoping for more dialogue between the No-Name's and the Goph's. Kinda dissapointing actually.

Assuming no one else gets suspended, expelled, or ends their season off ice, here are my WCHA pre-season predictions. I want to hear others predictions as well. 3 through 8 are really close IMO.

1) UMtc. They simply have too much offense to be ranked anything but #1. If the defense can't take the pressure off the shiny new goaltenders, then we might have a different story.

2) UND. Returning Knight and Kristo makes a huge impact. Add some offense from Grimaldi and it might be entertaining down the stretch for the MacNaughton. Also have new goaltenders as a liability (a theme this year), but Saunders has at least been tested in the past with an utterly terrible team around him (UAH). Don't know which will goalie get the starts.

3) SCSU. Leblanc got that redshirt and he has some serious help up front. Solid D up front and they actually have a goalie in net who played okay last year in Faragher. This seems a little high for Cloud, but its my sleeper pick.

4) DU. Big losses with Shore and Zucker out so scoring might be an issue. Defensively though they are stacked as they come in the WCHA. LaLeggia on the blue line and Brittain in goal are quite a tandem.

5) UW. Zengerle is a great returning center. Almost all returning scorers return, so Bucky has a lot of upward mobility. Losing Schultzy has to hurt though.

6) UMD. Lots of scoring departed after last season, so plenty of room for the freshman. Luckily this is the best Freshman class Duluth has had in years. Welinski is going to be a stud defenseman some day. I'm quite excited about him. Farley and Camaranesi are both smallish skill skaters that work well in Sandy's system and should stick around for years. Solid blue liners, but some goalie questions around whether Crandall will take the starts in goal.

7) MTU. Pearson got way more out of his players last year than anyone expected. Som big departures, but I don't see a return to the doormat this year. Contending for home ice again.

8) CC. Returns stud Rylan Schwartz, but some big scoring losses and Guentzel on the blue line really hurts.

9) MSU. New coach, new system, hopefully a fresh start for the purple Mav's. This is a team that is desparate to have a good season. Moving up two spots would be a solid start to changing their outlook next year in the new WCHA.

10) UNO. Simply lost too many scorers to contend for home ice. Maybe Blais gets a lot more out of the younger guys though.

11) BSU. Seems unfair to put them here, but they lost Bakala and a bunch of their best players. Hope I'm way wrong about this one.

12) AA. Someone has to be the doormat.

Pretty good list solbes, I might drop UND a couple of notches. wink

Where are all the Sioux fans, the season is almost here this place is like a ghost town.

I hope you guys are right as I'd like to see SCSU finish near the top for a change.

Hard to argue with the U at the top. Unless their goaltending fails them they are the team to beat.

AT LEAST WE HAVE COLLEGE HOCKEY!!!

I was hoping for more dialogue between the No-Name's and the Goph's. Kinda dissapointing actually.

"no-names"...your killing me Solbes grin. Where the he11 is Savre?

I got to get up to snuff on my college hockey. Can't believe its almost time already. Looks like the only hockey we have is college with the lock out happening frown

"no-names"...your killing me Solbes grin. Where the he11 is Savre?

I dunno but at least we got Brooks back in the fray. Haven't heard from Shore much either yet. Only 3 weeks left, yeah!

At least the WCHA could have scheduled two series with UM vs UND in the final year. They only play each other at Mariucci on Jan 18/19.