Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
northernfishin

Shore Fishing Help

northernfishin

All you guys on here were great help during the hard water season, now I'm looking for some help with some lake superior shore fishing.

I'm wanting to try and catch what ever I can from shore. I hear and have seen people at lester and some of the other stream outlets into the lake, but curious were some great places to try are at.

Lastly, I've fished for trout, but only brook and brown trout in southeastern Mn. The methods i've used then were tossing spinners or crank baits. From what i've seen on here, that's not what people maybe use? I'm wondering what methods are used and tackle i'll probably need to pick up before I toss a line in the water.

Thanks for the help!

reinhard1

i think a good bet right now would be to go to the Two Harbors breakwall. you will probably see other people out there. from the reports i have gotten is there are no large fish being cought but some coho's and a few kings. it would be nice to have a 7 or 8 foot spinning rod with 8 pound test for the long casts. spoons are used mostly that i know of. good luck.

northernfishin

I got a 6'6 spinning rod with 10lb test, medium action. I hope this works. Are the spoons different than that used for pike? Or best bet be going to Marine General and get some tackle.

Northlander

Hit marine General and ask them for some shore casting spoons. Lil Cleos and crocks are the mainstays but Jims Flashbacks now has some real nice shore casting spoons that work real well and some great colors.

northernfishin

What about fishing from shore like off of lester river and or other tributaries? Same tactic?

Poacher's pariah

Fishing the north shore is all about distance. trade in the 10# test and reload with 6#. Try fishing the eddies and slips in the current where the rivers flow into the lake. Be prepared to lose a lot of tackle. One of my favorite techniques is to pitch a rainbow colored stick bait or vibrax spinner well out into the lake and slowly retrieve it along that eddy. Do this early in the morning(dawn) and at sunset and you might surprise yourself with a laker pushing 15lbs.

northernfishin

Awesome! Sounds good. I'm excited. I'm going to try this some time next week and see what happens! Thanks for the help!

Northlander

Remember single hooks in rivers and mouths.

You can also toss out a bottom slinky rig with a floating crawler.

traveler

Single hooks in the rivers...as long as you're casting out into the lake at the river mouths trebles on your spoons are fine.

Northlander

I woudnt get caught tossing trebles into the mouth.

upnorth

And if you are more than 100 yds from a flowing river mouth you can fish 2 rods. Maybe one with worm floated up off the bottom or a weighted bobber and looper bug or small fuzzy jig and a waxie and the other pitching spoons.

traveler

I woudnt get caught tossing trebles into the mouth.

Neither would I!

Shorecasting Superior = casting OUT as far as you can...by the time your retrieve gets anywhere near shore you'd best be picking up your retrieve speed a bit or you'll be useing lots of tackle.

A few years ago a few jerks were trying to circumvent this rule by basically "flipping" spoons in the current right at the mouth at the French and that got shut down pretty quick by both DNR and peer pressure.

The single hook rule is for fishing IN the rivers.

monstermoose78

I have caught alot of lakers off pinnk roostertails in the 1/2 and 3/4 oz sizes.

H2O Milfoil

+2, but here is a slightly different reason. I always rig my spoons with a single Siwash hook of the appropriate size. I rig it to ride hook point UP. They snag far less frequently than a treble and they are always legal. And don't even get me started on the treble vs single hook for hooking success. The single is nearly 100% in the roof of the mouth or in the jaw, with fewer tear offs. Just like a jig.