• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Multi-Species Weekend!

I will start this by saying anytime I have gone up to the Rainy there have been only three species I have encountered: Walleyes, Northerns, and Sturgeon. That being said, with the strange spring we had I am not the least bit surprised by what we caught his past weekend

We started off the weekend a little behind everyone. We got up to Sportsmans a little after 1 on Saturday, and everyone (except for me) wanted to chase walleyes right away. We headed upriver a ways and immediately started getting into some 'eyes. We didnt get the numbers of big fish that people caught further up river, but we had some nice fish mixed in with a lot of eaters. Best size jig for us was a 3/8 to 1/2 oz Lindy Jig in gold or orange.

Day 2 was all aboot fishing sturgeon. Well at least for a little while. We headed out to a couple different spots and got our two sturgeon virgins on their first real fish, as well as a weird assortment that I will discuss later. Later on Sunday the wind made it unbearable to anyone who wasn't tucked almost all the way into the docks on the point so we headed up stream even further for a few last minute walleyes. Ron started backtrolling jigs in his boat while we just anchored and fished for whatever swam underneath. Monday morning we had a great walleye, eggs, and hashbrown breakfast and headed home a little early as it was a tad too cold and windy for the others to fish comfortably.

All said and done we caught a lot of different aquatic species: Sturgeon, Walleye, Sauger, Northern, Tony caught some Eeelpout (his first took some major convincing to get him to hold it), I caught a Crayfish that was stuck to a branch by fireline, Gene caught a Clam, Brittany caught a random anchor, and Ron caught his own anchor after it leapt from his grip while he was lowering it, and I caught a couple of bullheads. Yes, apparently there are bullheads in the Rainy River (all of you Iowegians can come flocking now). All in all not a bad trip but unfortunately we didnt connect with any of the true monster this year.

And Travis Sorokie, I will get that record, so be ready....

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

DSCN2051.jpg

DSCN2049.jpg

DSCN2047.jpg

DSCN2060.jpg