• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Family trip to Rainy River- what a blast!

We fished Fri and half of Sat on the Rainy and really had a fun trip. We stayed just busy enough to keep a guy interested and caught fish both jigging and pulling cranks. Most of our fishing was done anchored and jigging, but when things slowed for too long we pulled some cranks. As far as I know, the only keepable fish we caught cranking was a 17 incher- the rest were too big. However, our three biggest fish were caught by a jig.

We brought a herd of boys this trip- Erik, Austin, and Kaden (15) and Logan (11). The boys had a lot of fun and it was a really great trip.

This trip was really fun for me to watch Logan "figure it out" when it comes to jig fishing. He outfished all of us on this trip too, so he apparently really "figured it out"!!! Here are a couple of the many fish he caught this trip.

Logan.jpg

Logan2.jpg

Kaden found himself in this position quite a bit too...

Kadenfighting.jpg

Kaden.jpg

Kaden2.jpg

Erik got this guy pullin' cranks.

Erik.jpg

Erikeye.jpg

Heck, fishing was so good even my brother and I managed to catch a few!

Scott.jpg

Rod30.jpg

Tough to tell from the pic, but the fish above is the biggest of the trip- a 30" beauty!

Austin caught this 29"er in the late morning on Fri.

Austineye.jpg

Apparently that was enough for Austin to be satisfied, because after that he put away his jigging set up and pitched out a sturgeon rig and took a break. However, the break was short lived soon the clicker was sounding off, indicating a fish had grabbed the crawler and hook. He set the hook, and was in for a great fight!

Austinfightingsturg.jpg

It took a while, but eventually he got a nice sturgeon in the net and then in his arms.

Austinsturg1.jpg

Austinsturg2.jpg

Austinsturg3.jpg

Logan thought that looked pretty cool, so he decided to give it a try too. He also managed to catch one, but it wasn't quite as big as Austin's!

Logansturg.jpg

Then there was the guy who taught most of us on the trip how to bait our hooks, tie a fishing knot, and set the hook. My dad had about had enough and decided to show us how it was done. Although not as long as the fish Austin and Rod caught, this fish was 28" and very girthy! It was a beautiful fish and we took a couple pics and let her go. Not many trips go by when my dad doesn't end up doing just that at some point...

Dadnetting.jpg

Dad.jpg

I couldn't catch a really big one, so I had to jump in on Dad's picture. laugh

DadnMe.jpg

In total, it was a great trip! Ya can't beat fun like that with the family!!!

Love the pic of the young fella cradleing that big sturge! Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

that's what fishing is all about!! Good times with people we care about and hey you caught some great fish to top it off...Congrats

i can't wait til my boy's big enough to join me on the "man trips"! awesome memories. i've always said that a family that fishes together stays together

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Fishuhalik, I struggled with that one a lot this trip too- my son is seven years old and loves to fish. However, the forecast wasn't too favorable for a seven year old. I really wanted him to come along, but instead he stayed home with grandma and his little sister. In the end, I wish I'd have brought him, but I didn't want to "wreck him" with cold fingers and toes and have him hate it...

BTW, although Grandma loves her time with the grandkids, she's a heck of a fisherman too. She's caught more 10+ lb walleyes than me or any of my buddies by a long shot...

You have the best posts/reports ever!! Really enjoy looking at them and admier how you and your family and friends do it!

You have the best posts/reports ever!! Really enjoy looking at them and admier how you and your family and friends do it!

Thanks very much, DRAGFOOT! That's one of the nicest compliments I've heard in a long while. I'm glad you enjoy the posts and pics- I enjoy doing it and sharing them.

Great pics Scoot. Great to see the kids and Dad fishing with you.

We were up a week or so ago and had a great trip. Slots one day and the other 2 days simply pig after pig.

Good luck turkey hunting if you get out.

Slots one day and the other 2 days simply pig after pig.

Sounds like the best of both worlds! We didn't get great numbers and I wouldn't say we got "pig after pig", but we definitely won't complain about the fishing we had! Congrats on a great trip though- it's so fun up there... A buddy of mine fished yesterday and two of them caught 126 fish for the day. This morning they finally busted the 10 lb mark, so they're not having such a bad trip either!

Thanks again for the turkey permission and info- I'm extremely appreciative of your generosity and help!!!