• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does everyone know the Minnesota law changed regarding the transportation of live bait and live well and boat plugs? I remembered something about that over the winter, but didn't remember seeing anything new posted at the Frontier access, where we fished, and for sure there was no CO there doing a compliance check, doing fish surveys, etc. Instead there he sat at the intersection of 72 and 11 waiting for the fishermen going home. I'm not complaining because I got a ticket for forgetting to pull my rear drain plug, what I'm wondering is, couldn't it have been done easier and better at the access, handing out literature and checking compliance with ALL the departing anglers instead of just the ones going home. I salute the condescending attitude of CO as he measured and remeasured the two fish each we legally chose to keep and the lecture I got from the CO about some sticker which was supposed to be on my boat reminding me about invasive species, although when asked, he admitted that they were behind in printing them and didn't even have an example of what they looked like.

Anyway, I've rambled enough, hopefully everyone who reads this will remember to get rid of their bait, which we did, empty their live well, which we did, pull the drain plug, whoops... (8 hours on the road and 9 hours fishing will leave your mind a little fuzzy) and get some imaginary sticker, maybe from some imaginary place which issues them. Finally I salute the CO who while watching boats go by on the highway, studying them each with his binoculars, for taking time out of his busy day to educate me about the new law changes...

One last thing, thank you to Koochiching County or whoever for paving the lot at Frontier. It was a very pleasant surprise and nice not having to trudge though the normal muddy lot. Thanks again...

They talked about the Aquatic Invasive Specie decal since last summer. They have been printed and are available at the DMV at your local court house.

They do not have to be on your boat until August 1st of 2014.

The drain plug law and water in the livewell or boat has been in place since last summer.

At the landing, the CO could not tag on or talk to them about it until they leave the landing. I would guess they can check far more boats on the road.

I believe the regs from last year discussed the drain plug and draining water from your livewell and remove ones bait.

The news just had on a interview with the DNR and explained that they have given warnings the last two years on drain plugs, but every boat this year with a drain plug in it "WILL" get a ticket. You don't have to throw your bait, unless you have lake/river water in them. If it's water from the bait store only, you can keep your minnows. Heading up on Wed. night, hopefully the bite will really be going. I'm bringing a couple of "newbee's" with this year and really want them to have a great time.

Quote:
The news just had on a interview with the DNR and explained that they have given warnings the last two years on drain plugs, but every boat this year with a drain plug in it "WILL" get a ticket. You don't have to throw your bait, unless you have lake/river water in them. If it's water from the bait store only, you can keep your minnows.

Not totally correct here. If the bait water enters your boat in any way, it MUST be dumped! If you leave the bait water in your truck the whole time, you may scoop your minnows out an put them in the bucket. ALL water in your boat must be dumped regardless of where it came from.

Couple things.

The laws and enforcement is needed on southbound rigs coming off the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods. Spiny water flea is present in those waters deeming them “infested waters”. By making sure drainage compliance laws and bait law are in effect they are protecting lakes such as Upper Red and a thousand others from possible contamination. Same with bait laws, they are doing everything they can to slow the spread and protect our waters. I am a licensed bait dealer and deal with stacks of new laws every year. Ya it’s a pain in the butt although I know it is for a reason, a much needed reason.

As for the highway junction that makes sense as the landings are already a mess and we don’t need one more thing plugging them up. Not to mention now all the boats coming south can be checked whether they come from Frontier or Wheelers point. If I was the warden that is where I would set up.

As for the drain plug and baits laws they are defined on pages 12 and 13 of the free regulation book that is effective from March 1st 2012 until February 28th 2013.

I don’t thinking busting the warden’s chops for doing his job is the best idea, in all actuality they are working to protect our resources that we enjoy as sportsmen and women.

Heard it fist hand at the sports show yesterday from a CO. They hate these new laws more than we do. They have to enforce laws that were created by people so far removed from real life.

Jonny hit the nail on the head.

I know from other discussions that many do not like the new AIS program but unless we start to do something now, it will only get worse all the faster.

Hopefully in the near future while we try to slow the spread that the DNR can come up with something new to stop this totally.

The DNR is trying to save our lakes from getting any worse and we have to appriciate that.

Just did the AIS Service Provider Training last week....Just wait until you put in a lake infested with Zebra Mussels. It's not the mature mussels that everyone can see that are the problem, it's the immature ones that are floating around in the water that you can't see.

This is going to get a whole bunch worse before it gets any easier.

The plug thing is not a new law it is the second year but this year they are enforcing it. I still think it is a pain in the rear plug:) but in there mind they are going stop the evasive species, no slow the spread, so we have to comply. Oh by the way if you travel the state in the summer and put your boat in at diff. landings you will be checked by some young kid handing out stickers with a talk about the whole matter. Just be glad you are not a Tourney angler and all the times we put up with this stuff.

I went and read the regulations, if you want to keep your bait, you need to drain the water out and either use tap or bottled water in order to keep your minnows. I was told the water from the bait store was ok to keep if you didn't add lake/river water to it. I'll call the DNR on Monday and check on this.

I don't have a problem pulling my plug, just make sure you put it back in before you launch your boat. Seen a boat sink last year because he forgot.

This is copied from the new 2012 regulations. We too were stopped and checked without a problem.

From page 12 --

• If keeping bait, you must exchange water in bait buckets with tap or bottled water prior to leaving any waterbody to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species or fish diseases.

From page 13 --

• Drain plugs must be removed from bilges and livewells at the water access. Drain plugs must be out and all other water draining devices must remain open while trailering or transporting boats.

From page 15 under Required Actions --

Display an Aquatic Invasive Species Rules decal, issued by DNR, on

watercraft before launching, entering into, or operating on any waters

of the state.

Stickers are available free at any DMV office or call or email the DNR. Not sure where else. I received mine when I renewed my boat license.

From page 15 under Required Actions --

Display an Aquatic Invasive Species Rules decal, issued by DNR, on

watercraft before launching, entering into, or operating on any waters

of the state.

Either of these numbers will get you in contact with DNR and they will send sticker or stickers. From what I understood after calling you will need one on ever water craft that will be in MN waters. Hope this helps.

1-888-646-6367

1-651-296-6157

I do AIS inspections as my weekend job. The new sticker has to be placed where it is readily readable. The DNR guy who trained us last year recommended somewhere at the back of the boat.

There are two parts/halves to the sticker. The top part is affixed to the boat and needs to be visible when asked if checked (there is no specified location to affix it). The bottom half is affixed below the winch on the trailer (this is stated on the sticker).

Quote:

There are two parts/halves to the sticker. The top part is affixed to the boat and needs to be visible when asked if checked (there is no specified location to affix it). The bottom half is affixed below the winch on the trailer (this is stated on the sticker).

Ya, but who reads the sticker?

I don't disagree withe the current law of draining and removing plugs. I disagree with the massive amounts of money being spent in haste as a knee jerk reaction by people that fish onc every 20 years. The MN DNR us at the top of the list against all this dump they now have to deal with when they are having major economic shortfalls. They are now told that they need to start pulling people over randomly to check for invasives violations and award tickets that exceed all traffic stops in cost. They aren't going to make any friends doing this.

The AIS sticker can be obtained at your nearest deputy register where you get your license tabs or DL renewed.

I was told when I got my new license for the boat that the sticker on the boat had to be within 24" of the current license # on the boat. That was from the person at the DMV.

This is what I recieved in a e-mail to the DNR, Kevin K Kyle is who responded to my question

Question:

Good Morning,

Over the weekend I picked up the grey AIS sticker from the Minneapolis sport show, I understand the lower half to be placed near the winch on the trailer but the top half is there a required place to put it on the boat. (i.e outside of boat near transom, inside just visible)? In the reg book I can only find that it is required and has to be in the boat just want to verify so I only have to put one sticker on the correct place the first time.

Thank you for your time.

Response:

It can be anywhere visible on the inside or outside of the boat. If on the outside, it must be at least 24 inches from the license numbers. On the transom on the inside of the boat is a good place to put it. Visible, yet out of the way some. Kevin

right from the regulations:

Q. Where does the decal need to be attached on the watercraft?

A. The decal must be attached to the watercraft, but state law does not specify where it needs to be attached. It does not need to be in view of the operator as with the personal watercraft decal. It does not need to be placed near the watercraft registration decals and is not recommended to be in that area of the boat. It is recommended to display it where it can be read and can be shown to an officer upon request.

If the owner does not want to stick the decal on the boat because it is an antique wooden boat or other unique boat, they may attach the decal to an object or laminate it and attach it like a luggage tag.

Just received my new boat stickers for the licensing in late Feb. There was no sticker enclosed regarding Invasive Species. Just the license decals and a boating regulations book. Guess I'll have to locate one somewhere. Tried the DNR site, that didn't work. boat sits on a lift all year, doesn't get trailed except in October when we close up.

Just a point of clarification: the DNR doesn't introduce bills or make and pass laws. The job of the CO's is to enforce laws elected officials have made. Some of those laws make more sense than others. Know who you're voting for.

I did recieve the stickers with my registration and was informed that the law regaring the placement of the invasive water species on the boat/trailer would not actually be enforced until 2014 with the 3 year cycle of watercraft registrations.

I don't understand where I get this mythical sticker.
Believe it or not this mythical sticker is real and not hard to get some guy gave me two of them at the boat landing last year.

As I state above I did not recieve these with my new boat registration which arrived a few weeks ago. I called DNR office this morning and used the link to Information Officer. She said she will mail the sticker to me...So once again I am in compliance. Life is good.

I picked my sticker up from a DNR employee at a local home/sport show. He told me it has to be with ANY boat (duck hunters be aware!!), but said that most people he talks to are laminating them, punching a hole in them, and zip tying it somewhere out of the way. It is "Attached" but can be easily placed that way. That is exactly what I have done!