• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Get the Led Out Spring Get Together

Hope you and David can make it, would be good to see some new faces. Think the time is from 5 to 9, but also think I read that Rick G is showing up earlier. I have to work till mid afternoon, but will try to get there around 3/4 ish. As, for bait, would try to get a hold of some sucker minnows, dead or alive. They are a little difficult to get a hold of this time of year though. frozen smelt might be available. Saw that Gordie has been stashing away some creek chubs if people need some; just offer him a brownie in exchange. I am going to show up Bear Grylls style with a broken KFC spork that i find on a roadside ditch. Will use it to dig up a worm, which will be used to catch a sucker or bullhead, at which point I will have to go Ozzie on it for some cutbait......

I am going to show up Bear Grylls style with a broken KFC spork that i find on a roadside ditch. Will use it to dig up a worm, which will be used to catch a sucker or bullhead, at which point I will have to go Ozzie on it for some cutbait......

haha if you do that forget Jeremy Wade, your my new hero laugh

but for real I am gona try and be there by 4 or so if possible, Ill try to bring an extra pole for anyone who is wary bout not havin one.

Saw that Gordie has been stashing away some creek chubs if people need some; just offer him a brownie in exchange.

Time-- 5pm for a start until after dark or when ever..

Bait-- Brownies will work but I'm not that fussy laugh

The Deep fried Mac & Cheese balls will work that Pushbutton is famous forwill work too. wink

I would try and find some suckers can be tough this time of year but Ebners may have them the bait store up hear is out.

Chicken liver and a BIG Gob of crawlers will work very well, 4-6 fathead minnows on a hook will work for those channels too.

I will be bringing some dead creek chubs for cut bait,

You can have loads of fun pulling in these channels on just about any rod and reel set up that you can bring. I use to pull these 4-8 lb channels in with zebco 404's all day long so like I said any combo will work.

If I have some time Friday I will try and make up a few rod holders for us too.

SEE YA

Gordie,

I plan to swing past ebners on the way back from thorne brothers that day. hope they have some suckers, if not I do have some redhorse fillets(w/scales intacted) I will use for cut bait. I also plan to get a tub of chicken liver and another box of crawlers.

Rick G,

could you check the shell station in Cold Springs to see if they have suckers. if they do have some call me on my cell phone. I'll PM you my number.

looking forward to this G2G. hope the weather cooperates with us.

I do have a few extra rod holders if people would need them plus what ever gordie can make up. I also have a couple extra poles also.

just checked the national weather service website and the weather is not looking good for this now. there is a 60% chance of rain/snow mixed during the day. the high is like 45 and the low will be in the 30's. let's hope they are wrong and it is nice this day.

it may be the end of april but I plan to have my striker ice jacket with. didn't get to use it much during the ice season and now I will make up for that. atleast it is water proof if it does rain. cold or rain I plan to be there no matter what. like you said gordie, the poor weather would be consistent atleast. I can deal with the cold but I don't care for the rain.

Cold , rain smile bring it on. I like to think of us cat guys as being the toughest fisherman out there wink just don't tell the trout guys grin. Unless it's pouring I plan on being there.

Cold , rain smile bring it on.

In my "survivor man plan"....besides my spork figured all i needed was a large trash bag to keep me warm and dry. We'll see. Yeah, don't know how long JR will handle the cold and rain, but making the mac n cheese right now..... don't have a propane cooker though....will supply the grease if someone brings theirs. Work is getting busy so will be closer till the official start time till I can make it.

well, i went out last night for some bait, no bait but i did get this little bugger so maybe it wont be so bad today! was only bout a mile from where we will be bouncin a crawler.

channel1.jpg

Thats a good sign! Looks like the rain will have blown over by this afternoon. So looks like it will be chilly, but at least dry! Is the fishing area rocky, rubble, sand, muck?

Nice, gives me hope grin Lrts hope the rain does pass on through. I am leaving here around 1, check a couple more bait shops for suckers then heading down.

Thats a good sign! Looks like the rain will have blown over by this afternoon. So looks like it will be chilly, but at least dry! Is the fishing area rocky, rubble, sand, muck?

it's sand and rubble. what you see in the pic from the 16th is what the bottom is like in this area. there are a few larger rocks but nothing to get snagged on. it gets rockier the more you go up river towards monti.

Nice, gives me hope grin Lrts hope the rain does pass on through. I am leaving here around 1, check a couple more bait shops for suckers then heading down.

Rick,

I got a dozen large suckers (small decoy size, 10 to 12 ")from thornes, more then enough to share. I'm leaving for the park at 1pm and will be there by 1:20pm

well, i went out last night for some bait, no bait but i did get this little bugger so maybe it wont be so bad today! was only bout a mile from where we will be bouncin a crawler.

channel1.jpg

nice fish there. hope they want to bite today.

Well if it's poor weather at least we can say that this GTG is consistent any ways. laugh

Looking at the radar on the computer at work and their really must be something about this get together and the weather. And it appears that the fishing site is the epicenter of some weird weather anomaly...the line is almost stationary and just expanding northwest and southeast from there, but not moving ....huh.

Weird weather or not it was great meeting all of you guys that made it out. I know I was a bit late but I rather be late for fishing than not go at all. Good seeing and meeting New people and shooting the bull with all of you. Great turn out this year too.

Hope to fish this strecth of river more often this year.

I think that we should rename this event too.

The Upper Mississippi Sucker Showdown grin

You guys got some dandy red horse and even a bully was caught along with a couple carp.

Thanks Mark for stopping out and dropping off my sandels that I had forgotten about. I hope to forget them at your brothers again wink

Thanks Brad for starting this out again

looking foirward to all the pics that were snapped

here are the pictures from tonight. hope there is not a limit on the number of pics in a single post. if so I will post them in multiple posts here. there is 15 pics that I took tonight.

full-29971-19934-1.jpg

full-29971-19935-2.jpg

full-29971-19936-3.jpg

full-29971-19937-4.jpg

full-29971-19938-5.jpg

full-29971-19939-6.jpg

full-29971-19940-7.jpg

full-29971-19941-8.jpg

full-29971-19942-9.jpg

full-29971-19943-10.jpg

full-29971-19944-11.jpg

full-29971-19945-12.jpg

full-29971-19946-13.jpg

full-29971-19947-14.jpg

full-29971-19948-15.jpg

I for one had a good time grinand I know for a fact my buddie Bubbsy had a blast. It was good see some old friends and meet some new ones. Thanks to Brad and Gordie for getting this together, you guys did a great job wink The Upper Mississippi Sucker Showdown would be a good name wink

Did not know if you were going to show Gordie....bummer was spying up that sweet pair of sandels wink Yep, was good to meet Mark, Trent(Tsandi), David, Fischer 69, Rick, and his buddy Bubbsy, who certainly had the hot stick tonight, pulling in a trifecta of species. It has been a pretty slow start to the cat season in our neck of the woods, but at least the redhorse provided plenty of entertainment. Rick's bullhead kind of counted as an intended target smile Thanks to Brad for getting this going and to all that showed despite the rather chilly temps.

I am fine with changing the name but here is what I think it should be :

The Upper Mississippi Sucker and Catfish Showdown.

I had a great time as well. Nice to meet all of you. It will be fun to do it again, maybe next time we may get a kitty! After I get my new license, I plan on hitting up the St. Cloud to Clearwater stretch a bit more. We might be able to get Nater to tag along. Congrats to Bubbsy the fish factory.

yea it was good meetin a couple of you guys, sorry bout been kind of anti-social lol but those 2 younger guys are friends of my little brother ive know since they were like 10 or 11, and ive been promising them i would show them some spots around elk river for a while now. Im tryin to get em out and show them there is more to fishin than sunnies and crappies and put em on stuff that will give them a fight lol. But that carp was Brandons biggest fish in a few years he said!

yea it was good meetin a couple of you guys, sorry bout been kind of anti-social lol but those 2 younger guys are friends of my little brother ive know since they were like 10 or 11, and ive been promising them i would show them some spots around elk river for a while now. Im tryin to get em out and show them there is more to fishin than sunnies and crappies and put em on stuff that will give them a fight lol. But that carp was Brandons biggest fish in a few years he said!

Glad you said Hi and it great to see you getting those young guys on the water .

Congrats to Brandon on the Big fish too.

I had a great time as well, can't wait to do it again! Next time we might actually run into a kitty or 2. Hey Gordie, I was looking at my county map & it looks like you are almost directly east of me by about 10 miles on the opposite side of the wildlife refuge. We will definatly have to meet up & do some fishing this summer.

up in the shurburne co wildlife refuge? our last house was up there there is some good carp and sucker territory up there.

I had a great time as well, can't wait to do it again! Next time we might actually run into a kitty or 2. Hey Gordie, I was looking at my county map & it looks like you are almost directly east of me by about 10 miles on the opposite side of the wildlife refuge. We will definatly have to meet up & do some fishing this summer.

Yep you betchca grin

Do you fish the Rum River much fisher69?

I haven't fished the Rum in many years. I used to a bunch when I was younger when my brother lived in Milaca. Its probably been 15 yrs since I've hit it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy it sounds like it was a good time. Sucks having to miss this year but had a ton of things going at the time and still do for the most part. Next year for sure. This year was just out of the picture and I am finally just getting my gear together for catting.

Thanks goes out to Gordie, Brad and the guys for hosting it. Nice rough fish.

Speaking of the Rum, boy was it swollen the other day. It was way over its banks and as high as I have seen it up here in Princeton in long time or possibly ever. It was creeping up to HWY 95 Today on Tues, but today it looked as if it is was receding.

Anyways cool and sure looks like a good time was had. smile