• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saturday afternoon Sturgeon Fisherman in front of Rivers Bend and Adrians

Did anybody see the solo sturgeon fisherman out front of Rivers Bend Resort and Adrians on Saturday afternoon??? If you did, you know who I am talking about.

We were enjoying some bar time in the middle of the day (like about 1-3pm) and a guy fishing by himself basically relived the book the old man and the sea.

He obviously had a sturgeon on, and fought it for almost a full 2 hours.

One hour and 45 minutes in, his fishing rod or reel must have broken. He began hand lining this thing. One hand after another. Most times when he alternated hands he was actually wrapping the line around his wrists. I did not think this was a good idea. It was cold, it was obviously a large fish, and this must have been painful!!

Once his hand hurt, he was running his coat sleeves over his hands. I wouldn't have thought that he would be able to have much grip, but it appeared to be working.

This guy obviously wanted it bad. It was a battle of wills.

By this time, most of the bar and basically every single boat around him is watching. Sort of a celebrity. Everyone is talking about him.

He starts making some good headway. Everyone thought he was going to land it. Just before 3pm his line breaks. The man collapses onto his boat seat, demoralized.

To top off his day his motor then procceded to not start and he needed a tow in!

Now thats a tough day

I saw the whole thing as I was anchored right next to him. I am 100% convinced that the sturgeon he had on had a stamp on it that said 30#.

That fish didn't move the entire 2 hrs he was fighting it. Every time it made a short run it was right as some waves were going by.

oh cmon guys, I drove by him, and yelled at him "YOU HOOKED YOUR ANCHOR"

I guarantee that's what happened.

So let me get this strait, because I was several hundred feet away.

Of you guys that were right up close anchored and driving by, nobody seen his rod moving like it does when you have a large fish on??

Or heard or saw it taking drag??

From my barstool it looked like he was making ground on it. I suppose he could have been though if it was an anchor!

Quote:
Of you guys that were right up close anchored and driving by, nobody seen his rod moving like it does when you have a large fish on??

Not one part of that fight looked to me like there was a fish on there. The rod was always pointed into the water at the same angle the whole time. Now, I suppose he may have had a fish on momentarily an then wrapped around the anchor. Also, his anchor rope was always slack for some reason. Even with a river current, wind and nasty waves from boats. It only took drag when he was pulling up on the rod.

It didn't actually look like the line broke either. I saw him pull up a sinker and what looked like a gob of worms.

That was certainly entertaining though. grin

Yea, it was entertaining, i couldnt stop laughing (sorry buddy!)

as for the line being slack, I think he had the Actual Anchor hooked...and maybe the anchor was stuck on a rock/tree stump?

true story. nice to meet you guys by the way!

That had to be one of the worse days of his life!! If it were me after all that, I would have pulled the plug on the boat and waved goodbye!!! Although it did make for good entertainment in the bar from 1-3pm.

Hey Paul, that must be you that owns the place.

Thanks for having us up last weekend. Your place was definitely a good deal.

We were in cabins 7 and 8.

We saw a guy doing the same thing I think (battling a stump, log, etc) for a half an hour. I told my buddy there was no movement just weight. The "fish" never surged, rounded the boat or moved away from their anchored position. I wondered if he ever got it to break the surface how quick he could cut the line before everyone watching gave him a hard time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.