• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Newby

Hello all! Hopefully everyone's ice fishing season went well, but now it's time to think open water. I have never fished Rainy River, but I have always wanted to. I am seeing a lot of good information on here and I am not the type to ask for too many specifics, but if anyone could give me a starting point, I would really appreciate it.

I see that jigging is a popular method up there, but I also read about a few people trolling. What kind of depth holds more fish? I can only assume people are fishing edges and holes much like any other river, but again, I have never fished Rainy.

If trolling, are guys long-lining it, lead core, bottom bouncers??? I hate to ask for too much, but any information anybody is willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

I see that people are fishing anywhere from the mouth up quite a ways. Is there any area that usually holds more fish than others?

Also, if anyone is looking for a seat, I have an open seat in my boat. I am planning on heading up Sunday afternoon and fishing thru Tuesday late morning. Thanks for the help!

I am a newby to the Rainy and walleye fishing in general. I am headed up on Wednesday to give it a shot mysef. [Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

Plenty of people who give great information, but you also have to be willing to put in time on the water to learn - folks aren't just going to throw GPS coordinates at you and bid you adieu. I came to this site a couple of years ago as a novice fisherman, and I can tell you that folks here are more willing to help you learn than on any other site that I've ever come across.

Good luck on the river. Hopefully you'll put together a good pattern and you can come back here to post pics and share what you've learned wink

I am no expert or any thing, but when i fish the rainy i just use a jig and a minnow (shiners,fatheads,rainbows)as far as structure holes,slack water let the structure decide the depth.

A variety of tactics will work on the river- my best advice for a newby is to to jig jig jig- either vertical or long lining it but beware of snaggs as it is a river- when the fish are going any spot really can hold fish but look for current break area's or area where there is a change in depth and even a 1 to 2 ft change in depth can be the key- but getting on the water and putting some time in is the best advice also- if we can learn something new each time we can really improve our fishing success and even make the tough days good ones- good luck and safe fishing all!

I used to post on here all the time - every day prior to and during the river season. I poured it all out on some really, really long posts (some of you may remember)! Detailed to the max, cuz I really enjoyed helping others, and I appreciated the same in return. Now, I mostly just check in and watch like a creeper, because I am TIRED! Every subject has been beat to death so many times that I just can't anymore! Well, that's me anyway - but I think a lot of the guys on here are the same which is why some attitude may come across. Remember King Solomon - supposedly the wisest man to ever live? He said there is nothing new under the sun (Ha!)... so whether or not you believe that...

I realize you guys are new and looking for info to help with your trip. There was a day when I was too. Best advice is to look back in the archives from the past few years and just read. Be willing to do that, and in short order I guarantee you will find the answers to every stinking question you got! Good luck...

There, I have given you some HUGE hints. Now time for me to creep back into the shadows...

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You.] Talk to bait shops. Read books or old posts like Tim said. They can be a tremendous help. I know its easy to come on here and ask but alot of the guys giving the info are the ones that put in the time to come up with the answers some of you seek.

Hoytshooter, tori's dad, and Tim, thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the tips. I am not the type to ask and never give, so if you guys every want any tips on mille lacs, I may be able to help you out. I am no expert, but I love to fish and do it year round. I am the guy that figures out how to make the fish bite. I am convinced that fish will bite somewhere, somehow. I just don't have a ton of time to spend on the rainy to figure things out, so having a starting point is greatly appreciated. I almost feel like apologizing for the other newby on this thread even though I don't know him! I frequent this sight and enjoy helping the guys I can, but it is rare I give away many secrets. Thanks again guys for giving a newby like me a starting point. Good luck out there and stay safe! If you ever want to hit mille lacs, let me know. I've met a few guys on the pond through here and made some good fishing buddies. Thanks again!

Micah

Jigs and minnows will catch fish. I tried frozen shiners for the first tine

Find a spot to drift and if u catch fish don't be afraid to anchor up

Te fish will be coming from LOTW and run up the river

Read the past reports and go fish it's always a blast up there

If u ever have an open seat forille lacs is love to go with

Good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.