• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

first timers

A buddy and I were thinking of trying the river,March23-27th, but are unsure if it will be worth the trip? A buudies dad has fished it in the fall but never in spring this early, needless to say he wasnt a whole lotta help as far as spring time. would a 16ft W/25hp, and 55lbs trolling moter be safe. And if the runoff hits like some are talking does it completly shut the fish down or are there other ways to go about fishing.

you will be fine. There are many other boats out there exactly what you have. just takes longer to travel long distance if you want to. If it muddies up when you are there, either fish for sturgeon or try up stream from the big and little fork rivers. Usually not as many fish and not as big but some are there.

Another question as a newbie myself. Does a guy have to be concerned with rocks? Are there any hazard areas to avoid?

Always be concerned with rocks on a river. I've been going to the same area for 5 years and I still watch my GPS and depthfinder very closely.

Theres the occasional dead head and iceberg out there as well.

With the water low, we did find some large bolders just to the right of the access in Birchdale that my buddy had never hit before. Other than those, we didn't have any issues.

When all else fails, go slow the first time through an area...some other areas down stream that don't show up on the chip...

Been up there numerous times but never fished the canadian side. I am wondering if I could get the process on gaining access across the border for a couple day trip. Is it as easy as going to a border post up there and buying a border cross and a license?

thanks