• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Guess

With the lack of a snow pack and warmer than average temps this march any date predictions for big boats at birchdale? Do any of you recall a low flow/snowpack previous year? Yes I have the ITCH!

meathunter,

Check up on the past posts from the last week. It's too early to tell. We have normal ice conditions on the river right now. This warm weather on the weekend will speed things up. Stay tuned I will post when the ice starts moving.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we're gonna see substancial opening in the next 2 weeks. It seems the crazies are starting to fish by the end of March every year, & hopefully that hold true this year. I also am thinking it's gonna be a pretty awesome year. While there's some snow now, there still is waaaay less than a normal year which I think will cut down on the spring mud soup that usually happens. I'm sure there'll still be plenty of runoff & the fishing will get shut down for a bit, but I don't think it'll be as bad as a normal year. But that's just my .02 & I could be completely wrong.

I'll just have fun with this and say small boats 0n the 19th and bigger boats 20th-21st.

As tearing lips aludded to who really knows until it happens. I think the pontental heat wave the next two weeks with do it job but the terribly low flow may slow the progress.

I hope it opens like "normal" and runoff and major spring rains are minimal so we get a long great season like 2 years ago.

yeah, i'm pulling for the awesome season two years ago as well. that was some of the best fishing i've had in a long, long time

If guys are fishing 16 miles past pine island how long or how fast do the walleyes move up into the river??

Also can anyone list what accesses ate in what order coming from lake of the woods??

River gauge

Looks like its all over boys. The Little Fork is rising and it won't be long until we see chocolate milk.

Good! The sooner the better. Let 'er buck. That way the river'll clear back up before the fish really start moving into the river. That's actually what I was hoping for.

I had my hopes high but now they are crushed..I'll put away my rods and reels and wait till next year..

That's what i am saying! Blow out the forks now, get rid of most of the snow with this warm weather, and still plenty of time for things to settle down before the season closes. That's how it happened two years ago, many a fish caught that year.

Lots of time left! Clear those forks now so we don't have to clean all the leaves and grass and sticks off of our line when they start moving in!!

Looking at above image from 3-11 it looks to be near Manitou rapids and that was 2 days ago!!

It is not unusual for the water to be open to manitou rapids this time of the year considering in a cold year it is open or covered with very little ice up to that point.

Theres nothing better than a first hand report from locals. I recommend checking out the Clementson Resort website, as they are great about posting updates as far as where the edge of the ice-out is at. Here are their latest reports

From 3/11/12:

Quote:
Be aware that starting March 12th Hwy 11 will be under construction. Construction crews have their signs out and are ready to begin. Road construction will be between town and our place with a section of it completely closed off, so be ready for detours.

Open water reaches all the way to Indus now! Weather is expected to be great this week! Birchdale next week? Water levels are slightly rising to give it a little push but pretty steady yet as of today. Spring fever anyone?

Here is their latest report from 3/12/12

Quote:
Water levels are on the rise. Weather is warm and expected to be sunny! This should weaken much of the ice. Currently it still looks as if next week we will be looking at open water near Birchdale. This weekend might be pushing it but next weekend doesn’t look out of the question.

I am thinking I agree with the Clementson report. Somewhere near the 24th Birchdale should be open for sure.

Please also note that Clementsons will not be making regular trips up the river for us. All of it will be second hand info unless someone heads out for them self.

Tearin Lips

Is there any snow left up there? My research tells me once the little fork starts to rise It is about 7 days till it blows any thoughts on that? If the rain holds off how soon do you think the river can recover from the forks letting go?

Seen the Little fork data this am looks like Its on Its way down already and from the graph says Its not Ice affected anymore wonder if It broke???

I am not sure. I haven't heard anything, but I will take a little drive tonight or tomorrow morning to check things out.

I thought these pics were from 3-16-12, but they were from 3-15-12. So as the other post mentions it is now open in front of Nelson's landing.

As far as the forks go, I am not sure. I didn't get out that way like I planned. I don't think that they will be much of an issue this year with minimal snow and run off.