Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
TMF89

Walleye and Sturgeon Fishing This Spring

firefish_12

Hurry up end of march. I'm starting to twitch and want to take a bait ride and catch sone walleyes with a long rod and jig

TMF89

That's what I figured guys, thanks for the advice! I suppose I should've just logically figured that out about the sock and the current lol. Ice, how big is that sturgy there? Very nice!

Another question: For walleye, what's the average ratio for how much you drift or anchor? Like 50/50, or is it mostly one or the other? I have an idea of where to anchor (thanks to this thread and your advice lol), but as far as drifting goes, what should I look for? By that I mean, where should I drift? Just wherever the current takes me while controlling the boat? Or should I try and find a depth the fish are at and then maintain that depth? If it's a hole or something, would that still be the depth I would want to stay in on the main channel? You guys should keep in mind that I've never been far up the river before, we always stayed in the gap or right in front of the resorts when we were sturgeon fishing, so I'm guessing I think the river is probably a lot deeper than it is.

Thanks again for the advice guys!

maxpower117

That's what I figured guys, thanks for the advice! I suppose I should've just logically figured that out about the sock and the current lol. Ice, how big is that sturgy there? Very nice!

Another question: For walleye, what's the average ratio for how much you drift or anchor? Like 50/50, or is it mostly one or the other? I have an idea of where to anchor (thanks to this thread and your advice lol), but as far as drifting goes, what should I look for? By that I mean, where should I drift? Just wherever the current takes me while controlling the boat? Or should I try and find a depth the fish are at and then maintain that depth? If it's a hole or something, would that still be the depth I would want to stay in on the main channel? You guys should keep in mind that I've never been far up the river before, we always stayed in the gap or right in front of the resorts when we were sturgeon fishing, so I'm guessing I think the river is probably a lot deeper than it is.

Thanks again for the advice guys!

You are totally overthinking it. Alot of people will just drift until they find fish. And please don't anchor unless you are fishing for sturgeon. ALOT of people will snag your anchor rope.

Overall, fish can be found anywhere from 4'-25'. Don't rule out anything. I've got a couple spots that always produce big fish, but I won't be telling.

jwilli7122

where i've been, at the time of year i've been there, in the boat i've been in, anchoring has been pretty much the way to go. nobody has ever caught my anchor rope.

brakedancer

we have been going up to the river for about 10years. sometimes if the water clears twice..trolling motor is a must..just controling the boat around ice chunks and away from the canadian side when a gust of wind pushes you north..please don't think you found the magic spot and throw your anchor out just drift like everybody else and things will work smoothly..

MWard4400

There again if you are the first person in that spot you are welcome to fish in any manor you wish, it is first come first serve.

If there are other boats in an area that are drifting, don't be the one that throws an anchor out, you will be looked at poorly.

TMF89

Alright so that brings me back to my question of where exactly to drift? Pretty much down the center channel or what?

ANYFISH2

Seriously, Drift on the MN side of the river (if you don't have all the required Ontario stuff) from the center to the shore. Really, the walleye will be anywhere on any given day within the river.

I usually start the hunt at the head of deep holes, inside and ouside edges of points. I have however had some of my best fishing on flat 8-9 ft runs between deep holes.

If you are still wondering when you get up there, fish by the floatilla's that are already started, that will give you a starting point. If the bite is on you shouldn't have a problem catching them. I hope this helps!

TMF89

Sounds good. Sorry guys, I've just never actually fished a main river for eyes before, most of my river experience has been on the Mississippi, where the main river is really deep and most fishing is done in side channels and stuff like that. So the depth of river won't ever be very deep? Upper-teens/lower 20s? Around Birchdale/Vadnis and the areas fished for early walleyes?

ANYFISH2

Most of the river is between 10-20ft deep. There is some water deeper and a few streches that are shallow(between Birchdale and frontier). And of course this varies with water level, this year there may be a few areas that are potential hazzards if water levels remain very low. If you can get a LM chip it will give you all you need to know as far as depths.

Good luck to you this spring, sounds like your first time, if you hit it right your in for a treat, also my be suprised to fish walleye in groups like spring crappie fishing! crazy At times it feels like you could jump boat to boat to get to shore and never get wet!

Icedemon2012

TMF89 that sturgeon was 61 inches. Just like what MAXPOWER117 said, TMF89 you are overthinking. This is my plan for the Rainy, I show up at the landing in the morning with my trolling batteries fully charged, launch the boat, park the truck, decide if I want to go up or down river, turn on the GPS, and game on. You have to keep it simple, because someone or some crowd will be in your spot you want.

Trout26

I have never been up to rainy river before and me and a buddy are coming up april 20-22. I see the border is in the middle of the river do you guys buy a canadian fishing license too or is the river big enough where you have plenty of room on our side of the river? Is that going to be a good time to go up there and catch a sturgeon or two? And with the weather being this warm already whats the chance of the lake being opened up? Thanks for the advice.

brakedancer

lots of room on the U.S. side but make sure you stay on our side otherwise it can be very very costly..

maxpower117

Illegal to fish sturgeon in Ontario no matter who you are.

Trout26

Man if that isnt the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for letting me know. I will be making sure I stay on the south side for sure.