• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best spinning reel for 2-6# line??

lakevet

Question

Hey guys,
One of my old reliable lightweight spinning reels finally died. It held up thru bass tournaments in Minnesota and pink salmon in Alaska, in addition to many a slab crappie & jumbo perch. What the best mid price reel for 2-6#line? I fish mainly perch and crappies with it, but will get pushed a little as with the old ones. It will be on ice alot so a good drag is essential. Looking forward to your input!!

Don't forget to take a kid or senior fishing!!

Lakevet

[This message has been edited by lakevet (edited 01-25-2003).]

CNY Tim, you took the words out of my mouth. Great smooth drag, which is most important for me in a spinning reel.

Don't forget the spare spools, so you can switch them out and fish with 2-, 4- and 6-lb line without switching reels or rods.

I just got 2 ABU C-1000 C3's from FFO.com.

A Great reel! Check it out, and get the price Eh...Very cool!

C1000S3B.jpg

C1000S3

Front drag, graphite bodied spinning reel w/aluminum spool
3 bearings w/instant anti-reverse for smooth, positive operation
Everlast bail spring system
Convertible right/left hand retrieve
6 lb./175 yard line capacity
5.2 to 1 gear ratio
Weighs only 9 oz.

Get this.... $19.31

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=733

For a few more bucks.

CD4%2D1000B.jpg

CD4-1000
(Cool reel, great drag)

Twice the power of front drag reels
Greater convenience than rear drag reels
4 steel ball-bearings
One-piece aluminum gear box
Instant Anti-Reverse
Everlast bail spring
5.2 to 1 gear ratio
6 lb. / 100 yd. line capacity
Aluminum spool with spare graphite spool
Ambedextrous right or left hand retrieve
(Regular Price: $72.95)

FFO Price: $39.91 blush.gif

ed-logo.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-25-2003).]

Great, I'll take a look at one. Anyone have any opinions on Abu Garcia or Quantum reels for the same use? Opps!! You must have posted when I was still typing Backwater Eddy! Anyone else have a favorite and why??

Lakevet

[This message has been edited by lakevet (edited 01-25-2003).]

Ya, I went back and found the details for you.

I am using both reels on the ice, sweet reels. I like the CD, neat system. I also picked up a heavy duty CD4 for cats on super braids. I will use it on my 11' European predator stick for "Cork'n" big cats.

I tore the guts out of 2 Shimano's last August while "Cork'n" sumo cats. The heavy duty saltwater version of the CD4-3000 will take it.

Another vote for the Sedona 500 FA.
Nice little reel but I wish they would put a little bigger handle on it.

Abu Garcia/Cardinal makes a nice little reel too. The AGULF from thier Agenda series. Not a top of the line reel but a good reel for the money.

[This message has been edited by GEEMAN (edited 01-25-2003).]

I also have and like the Shimano Sedona 500. I agree though they need to put longer handle on it. They also make a 500 Spirex. The 500 are a nice size for ultra lights but if you want to do a little heavier fishing then I like any thing in the Shimano 1000 size. It is a reel that small enough for winter fishing and big enough for summer fishing. I have a 1000 Spirex with the fightn' drag on the rear of the reel that is a slick little deal if when your fighting a fish you want to tight or loose the drag all you have to do is drop your pinkey finger down and flip it one way or the other. Nice feature but I like the front drag a little better. There Shara model is nice but my favorite it the Stradic. I love them they are more expensive around a 100 bucks but the are the best, 5 ball bearings oh so smooth I love them I have 2 of them and they have caught more fish than all the rest of my reels combined. If I needed another that is what I would get again.

This is a little more money - Gander Mtn. occasionally has them for $70 - I'll cast my vote for the Diawa Tournament SS700. However, the Agenda that Eddy mentioned is hard to beat at $20.

Ed, If it was possible, I'd buy these from you in April. Unfortunaltely, these will be gone well before then, I reckon . You're one hell of a resource.. good luck
ck

Tica cetus. This thing is smooth, no play in the reel at all. It has 6 ball bearing and weighs only 6.3 ounces.I think it was $40.-$50. Gander mountain had them for awhile, I got mine at jrs tackle I'm not sure if its osseo or not but they are off hwy 81 over buy fleet farm, they have great deals on all there stuff very cheap prices, open weird hours though, call ahead if you go.

We use Quantum's STF1 spinning reels. They are not the tiny ones and they are not too big. They have 5 ball bearings and are as smooth as can be. They also have the one finger touch casting to open the bail. They run approx. $29.95. The only place I have seen them though is Fleet Farm. Pretty nice reel.

--------

Fishn'Lady

I have had my Fin-Nor reels for quite a while and really like them. They take quite a bit of abuse. I use the same ones for crappies one day and then go to smallies and cats the next day. They never skip a beat on anything. They cost a little more but they are worth the price in the long run, I bought a Fin-Nor and a Garcia Tournament at the same time about six years ago and the garcia is trashed but the Fin-Nor is still running strong. Just my opinion! smile.gif ><>
deadeye

I too will put a vote in for the Sedona 500. I use them on my ice fishing rods in the winter and switch them over to the ultra lights in the summer. I really enjoy the super stopper, because of the sure hook sets.

Another Vote for the TICA CETUS.. they come in 3 different models depending on how much you want to spend and how many ball berrings you want... Best small reel I have ever found!... $29.99-$49.99

Ditto on the Cetus...I like the SB500 better (6 BB) vs. the other models...excellent infinite anti-reverse. It does have a slightly smaller bail than the Abu-Garcia though.

--Prudence

The Sedona does employ the "super stopper" plastic disk stopper, Unlike the ABU and some Diawa models that have true "instant" anti-reverse using brass gears. Not sure if your Sedona's are new or how much you use them, givem a year or two. Ive got two that slip more than 1/2 inch. I have Shimano's on every other long rod I own, but the Sedona 500 doesn't cut it for me.

Just my experience.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

You had better stick me in the ABU camp also. I have had nothing but good luck with them, and they don't hit my wallet too hard.

BE, I have to thank you for the "hint" on reel.

I bough the C-1000 C3 after you posted it, it came today and it's a nice reel.
I also bought some spools of 8# line, the Fisherman's brand is $ 3.00 for 3 rolls of 475yds, I have kids that messes up their line constantly, this way I can have a lot good line for just few $$.

I like they always send some freebies in the box.

I really like this FFO, and as the bumper sticker says " Fish don't know how much you paid"

D-man, the Shimano Super Stopper II is an infinite anti reverse roller bearing. This is used even on the low end ($29) Sienna. As far as I know there is no plastic disc type anti-reverse in their reels. grin.gif

Valve I am glad you grabbed one before they were all gone. I really like mine too. The line roller is a great system, very workable in the cold. I have mine spooled up with 8/1 PowerPro, smooth.......rig. I like the longer stem, no knuckle knoking. They had 15 left in stock this morning when I looked.

The ABU CD series is also well worth the bucks. I like that Center Drag system for ice fishing and slip floats. A great deal more disk surface on the CD drag so you get a very smooth drag, very tough too.

I see FFO just busted out some new ABU's 5 bearing reels.

Cardinal Spinning Reel EN4F
EN4FB.jpg

5 steel bearings
Instant Anti-Reverse
5.8 to 1 gear ratio
12 lb. / 180 yd. line capacity
Everlast bail spring system
One-piece graphite body

$29.97 (Quantity Available: 17)

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-29-2003).]

D-man, this is a quote verbatim from Shimanos instruction guide for a Sahara series reel. "SUPER STOPPER II This new anti-reverse system has been designed for maximum durability and instant hooksets. The system uses a one-way roller bearing that has been beefed up with extra thick rollers and race." I am not sure where the confusion would come from since this is straight from Shimanos literature. I do not have a vested interest when I make posts (ie. getting the name of a product or service posted), and I do not post if I do not know what I am talking about. I am not trying to cause any problems, but since this forum is called expert information I feel people should be getting accurate info. And if I see inaccurate info within the scope of my knowledge I will try to correct it for the benefit of all concerned. grin.gif

I have to put a vote in for Shimano Stradic. A bit pricey, compared to the ABU, but by far my favorite reel. The 1000 is great for line up to 6lb. The 2000 is great for 6, 8 or even 10. Silky smooth drag and retrieve.
Comes with a spare aluminum spool.

I vote for Abu. I bought the AGULF two years ago and have loved it, summer and winter. I went to Gander around Christmas to buy another one and the salesman told me about the new ASULF. It has 4 ball-bearings, which makes it very smooth for a small reel. Get this for some reason they had them on clearance for $15! That is less than what i paid for the three ball-bearing AGULF. I would try to find more of them at Gander.
bf

Without a shadow of a doubt, the Tica's in my opionion are the very best in ultra-light reels!! I have 7 of them and there are the only reel I own for ice fishing. smooth, adjustable drag, instant anti-reverse and appealing to the eye. You pay for what you get with these reels.

------------------
Get 'er done