• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We could have a 10mph speed limit on the lake but so many would not follow the law.

People forget that when they go say back to the landing, if they are driving over 10mph, they can blow the shoreline out due to the rolling water under the ice.

I realize there is 11-12" on Washington but I would takle a guess and say that around the Squirrels nest point, one can find thinner ice just like the narrows where people also like to drive through.

I also realize that many with perm houses want to get them out on the lake before the ice fishing comes to an end. I am sure there are safe lakes to drive on but I do not know where those locations are versus the bad spots.

I have a hard time taking my wheeler out on many area lakes and I told my wife the other day, this will be the first year ever for me that I will NOT take a truck on the ice is south central MN.

Maybe I worry too much but I would rather not go than fall through. Maybe I am a scardy pants or a sissy pants but I have no wish to fall through and I will not take those chances.

Kind of a rant but people need to take responsibility for their own safety and not depend on others.

When you think it is safe enough for one truck best plan on two as someone will follow your tracks and park next to you 'where the ice is safe'. LOL

Kind of a rant but people need to take responsibility for their own safety and not depend on others.

When you think it is safe enough for one truck best plan on two as someone will follow your tracks and park next to you 'where the ice is safe'. LOL

LOL! This is very true. Your posts are a good slap in the face many people need. But in defense of the OP and many others, we should assume they just want general info and will be checking for themselves to confirm when they get there. But yeah, how many of us have walked out to our spot when there's 10 inches or less and had a truck drive up to ask "how the ice?" eek

I agree that the OP is looking for driveable ice. I just question that there is any safe ice at this time.

It is bad when someone sees a truck on the ice from a road and then they tell others, yes, they are driving on that lake. Lake could be far from safe and as suggested, everyone needs to go to the lake and cut holes every so often to see just how safe the ice really is.

Word of mouth can sink vechiles.

We all need to check the ice out ourselves before we drive on the ice.

Sorry to get off topice a bit but I would hate to see anyone drop through.

I was on washington yesterday off of third point and I can't tell you how many big wheel houses were being pulled out. And these guys were buzzing by us pretty close and didn't seem to give two craps about where they were driving, or how close to other houses and trucks.

My buddies and I found this to be extremely annoying and funny at the same time. Two guys in a pick up stopped outside of our house. One walked up and said hi, and asked what the depth was there. He then proceeded to ask how much ice there was.... Probably a question I would have wanted answered BEFORE I drove my full size pick up on the lake. Exactly the point that Hookey was making. One goes on, and others follow.

Just going to play a little devils advocate and chime in that ice is never safe but i do believe it can be stronger than one thinks..(many factors play in when determining safe ice not just thickness)taking info from the show Ice Road truckers in that they begin driving semi's with light loads when the ice reaches 16"...trucks and cars must weigh significantly less than semi's with varying loads....when ice reaches 12" i personally have no problem driving a car or small truck but i drive slow and keep a good diastance from individuals and houses...everything in life is dangerous its how you approach it that makes the difference...

Yes, they do run on that thickness of ice.

My bet is that ice has been checked by thier road crews and they also go up and down those roads pouring water on the cracks to help heal it up.

Most times 12" is plenty safe but it's the thin spots like so many lakes have this season that will get one.

The thing that scares me is that on one day, a snowmobile can go through on a lake and yet others will drive thier truck there.

This year seems to be a dangerous one with all the open water locations on so many lakes.

I use to drive on the lakes earlier than I probably should have and every year, I am more cautious.

Harvey Lee, I enjoy reading your posts and I think you give very good advice.

Whisker Warrior, I would agree with you on a "normal year", but this has been a very wierd year. I think sometimes people hear the DNR guidelines for walking/driving, but they ignore the part that says "new, clear, solid ice" which interpret as ideal ice making conditions. I'm not counting on 12" of ice being as strong this year as it would normally be because of the 50 degree temps we had/rain etc. But that's just me...

Heres my advice after being out on the ice. My buddy drove out there this morning on Madison at the DNR access and the ice is thick enough to drive on but I wouldn't go far from the beaten path. That pressure ridge was cracking but we parked about 30-40 yards from it and had 11-12 inches but it was solid. Definitely drive slow and don't travel from the beaten path. We parked by the permanents and when we ventured out we would walk for the closer we got to the pressure ridge we had lost an inch or so. For washington the beaten path is fine and out to third point but I wouldn't drive past 3rd point for it was about 10 inches of ice past it and only Small jeep trackers were out that far. The thing is that for the ones who risked driving out like 4 days ago had made cracks and sketchy ice on the beaten path but considering no one went through its actually stronger now in the long run because they did make cracks under the water when people were driving when it was way risky but now with the cold temps. Those cracks have kept freezing up over night and with this process the beaten path gets extremely stronger than off the beaten path. Its no different then at red lake where that beaten path is crazy thick but off the beaten path you don't have so much ice thickness.

Think last year peop were driveing on 12 inches of ice with 30 inches of snow last year sure that worse than driveing on 11 inches with two inches of snow . Ice looks crappy around here last few years compared to up north

Not necessarily, think about how the ice froze last year. It was a solid freeze with not very many open spots all year. Last year in Bakers bay it was a town out there by the first week in January. There is open water out from squirrels nest and you can't even get to bakers bay except if you live in the bay really. This year the ice has froze really uneven with the different temps.

Another truck through the ice today, this time on Peltier. Seems everyone is driving and alot are going through.

Squirrels nest point and the narrows on Washington are 2 spots one should always be careful around.

I have wanted to go to baker bay for a month but I will not even take my wheeler there.

I am by far anything like an ice expert but I believe the problem this year might be that we get a few inches and then a thaw. It seems to always thaw after a few more inches and then refreeze. Maybe the ice even though there is 10-12 inches may be a weak ice.

This is always an interesting debate. What makes me laugh is listening to a guys logic for why the ice is safe now. Just because of the past, todays temp, that guy is out there?? Make a list of reasons to not drive on the ice versus reason to drive on it. It becomes pretty clear. Ice is never safe. This is not the year... better safe than sorry.

I gotta watch that, I do not want to sound mean I just hate to see anyone hurt.

People are all over the place on this subject. For those out on third point Sunday you would see people walking out, people driving full size trucks out then those just getting enough courage to take the four wheelers out.

Look a bit closer and you would have seen a full size truck driving around with a full size wheeler in the box. 12 inches of ice over 20 to 30 feet of water. They did not go through so who knows.

To each their own, but I am erroring on the lighter side of my means of travel yet. My wheeler probably will be making its maiden voyage to ice late this week or early next week.

When I was out on Mazaska on Saturday I punched alot of holes searching for fish and granted most of the ice was around 12". I did find a few spots that had some deeper snow on top of it that wasn't much more than 7-8"

Please stay safe.

I always err on the cautious side, so even in a "normal" year, I let time pass after everyone has been driving on the ice before I venture out. This year, it may be the middle of February before I venture out in a vehicle. Just not worth it compared to a 10, 15, or even 20 minute walk to get to a fishing spot to catch something. I would still like to know the average cost of getting a vehicle out of the lake. It has to be a lot of coin if divers are involved.

Simple1

wont insurance cover that?

One fellow went through a small lake by my hometown and they had to drag it about 400 yards to shore. If I remember correctly, It was like $3 grand for that one. Didn't need divers but they has to cut a trench to shore and the truck was in 6ft.

I agree with Whisker Warrior......although I agree this year is different, each person has there own comfort level, and if you don't know don't go is the best advise ever......no fish is worth a vehicle or a life.....Thanks to the guy on Washington that helped me lift my house to my hitch this AM......hope you catch

On a side note a bit of ice heaving down on Third point with some water on top yesterday.....very close to shore right on the point.....be careful out there

you will be fine in bakers bay drill alot of holes and nothing under 11" you can go over the point with no problem,

Another truck through the ice today, this time on Peltier. Seems everyone is driving and alot are going through.

Squirrels nest point and the narrows on Washington are 2 spots one should always be careful around.

I have wanted to go to baker bay for a month but I will not even take my wheeler there.

I am by far anything like an ice expert but I believe the problem this year might be that we get a few inches and then a thaw. It seems to always thaw after a few more inches and then refreeze. Maybe the ice even though there is 10-12 inches may be a weak ice.

I missed that today when these old fools were blocking the access for a conversation over a cup of joe blocking the entrance/exit to the lake when I pulled my wheelhouse off today....say there for a couple min waiting till I finally honked.....morans

With old age comes wisdom. wink

if you need a diver. The diver alone to just hook up the vehicle is around 2 grand.

When I had a diver hook mine up it was 1 grand.....still not a good deal thats for sure! cry

Insurance will cover the repairs not the removal if you have comp. i handled a few claims a few years back when all those vehicles went through the ice at Westwood.

drove out last friday night and didnt feel to bad... drove slow windows down.... the thing that turned my crank was on the way in a guy followed me back in and he didnt let much space get between us. I even felt like he wanted to go around me at times GRRRRRR.

slow down DONT BE DUMB its not a race

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I agree Dan, but sometimes you're better off stopping and letting the other person go on ahead to test the ice for you smile