• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearing GetToGator February. 25th--Lake Minnewaska

bassNspear

I'll be going, and i'll make sure rengel is there to defend his nord lord status

Just bring the trophy and leave him at home we don't need him winning everything again.

Has he been out and broke in that saw and decoy yet?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Archerysniper

• MJ1657

• Gordie

• LandDr

sounds like a cold coming on for you on the 24th BNS

Boats don't sell themselves and it's starting to be that time again frown

We will really have to think about moving this event North or even canceling it due to deteriorating ice conditions.

I would hate to see anything happen to anyone these GTG’s are a blast but its not worth losing a life over.

We will have to watch the weather closely and if someone could get us some ice reports on the lake it would be great.

Alot of ice fishing contestes are being canceled due to the ice conditions so it has rasied concerns of saftey for those people so we should take that into account also.

If you guys have any concerns or coments please post them.

The sky is not falling but I agree Gordie, we will have to keep a very close eye on the ice conditions with all this warm weather that seems to continue.

I know I am about done with the ice in southern MN but I would like to do this one event if the ice is still in good condition.

I guess we will have to wait and see what Mother Nature serves up to us.

Ice conditions on Minnewaska are still very good with 15 to 17 inches of ice. Access are also good...a little rough in spots but good. More current reports can be posted as the date gets closer. Most are driving vehicles out and currently you can go just about anywhere on the lake.

There is a really strong pike population in Waska but most are in the 2 to 3lb range...but there are plenty of big pike in Waska as well. With the high pike population there should be a lot of action.

The water clarity has been an issue this year however. Most years you can see down 15 to 18 feet but this year it is maybe half that. I haven't been in shallow to see if the water clarity is better there or not. There are several spear houses out and they seem to be active so there must be some success.

Fish On!

Thanks for the report Landdr.

Can you point us in a general area to go and what landing to go out from please.

Thank you

There are A LOT of places to spear on Waska since much of the lake is shallow. Some of the historical spots are as follows...

Lakeside Ballroom...right out in front of Lakeside there are usually several spear houses. This is a nice flat area with a lot of pike and a nice ridge a little farther out.

[PoorWordUsage] Creek...this is where the old sewage treatment plant discharged into the lake. This is also a nice flat area with a lot of pike located just north of Lakeside.

DNR Landing and Torgy's Bay...a lot of pike in this area as well located just north of the above two spots.

Bottle Bay...several spear houses in this area. This is a big area and most spear houses are in shallow from the panfish houses. A lot of pike in this area as well.

Peter's and Baycrest...there are a lot of big pike around the milfoil and weedlines. Located on the south side of the lake.

You can drive onto the lake at the Lakeside Ballroom access and then go to any of these locations...they are not far away. Please post some photos of how you guys do or photos of the event, etc....would be great to see.

Fish On!

Thanks landdr i

It nice to have such a detailed report and I know the sky is not falling but I would rather be safe than sorry and with reports like landdr it still sounds do able but as was stated its a ways out yet and mother nature will tell is if its a go

Landdr thank you very much for the detailed reply and the great info. As always we will have a write up with pic's after the GTG.

P.S I just ordered my Striker Ice suit so if I have enough ice to walk on I'm happy grin

For those who want to spear in the bottle bay area, I fished there last wknd for panfish,in shallower than the masses 9-10 feet of wAter and the clarity wasn't the best. I could see maybe 6 ft down max. So to validate landers post about clarity shallower, it wasn't as clear as normal. On the bright spot, I caught two pike not fishing them so IF you can see em you wil have good spearing smile

• 2 weeks later...

Simply a group of HSO members or non members who would like to get together to have some fun and share expierences spearing. A great opportunity for each other to meet and learn. These GTG's are always alot fun.

All are welcome to join in on the fun.

Anyone is welcome and no were not any form of a club. A lot of us have never met before till we go to one of the GTG and put faces with screen names. I will say it's a blast and I don't plan on missing any of the spearing GTG's from now on.

Yep were out to have a good time and meet others that share the same passion as we do or teach others that have not ever done it before.

Some of us are memebers of a spearing group but not everyone is or no one is required to be either.

I think the only requirement has been to just show up.

Oh and be ready to laugh your But off laugh Here at..HSO..WE HAVE MORE FUN..

I haven't done much spearing this year, put about 9 hours in on Artichoke early and got one 7 pounder, all my favorite lakes are very cloudy. I have my house on waska now catchin sunfish, northerns and bass. I will probably pull it in shallower end of the week and cut a spearing hole. I have prior obligations on the afternoon of the 25th, but could spear in the am. What part of the lake are you folks going to gather at, I will be close to Sacks access and it would be nice to meet some of you, as I just joined and find myself checking HSO everyday.

Bummed out as I have something else that I have to take care of next weekend so I cannot make my first outing spearing. Oh well, there is always next year.

Have fun and spear a few.