• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BorderView?

Me and a group of friends heading to Borderview next weekend. we have never fished the east part of the lake. Anything different on that side we should about? Lures? Bait? Lure colors? Anything would be helpful. ?Thank you

CHECK WITH CHARTERBOSS/FOXY WHEN YOU SGN IN. HE WILL BE MORE THT HAPPY TO GIVE YOU THE STRAIGHT INFOMRATION. HE KNOWS THE LAKE WELL AND WILL CERTAINLY STEER YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. THEY RUN A GOOD RESORST AND FISHING BUSINESS THERE....TELL HIM BTURCK SAID HI. GOOD LOUCK

Those are nice houses. They are either 8' or 10' by 16' I believe. They have a heater on each end. If you want they will split you up into 2 of the 4 man houses I am sure.

Thanks to everyone with advice. I also hope the houses are fair sized we have 2 6 man day houses and we are all pretty good sized guys. well any day one the lake is better than being at work. Good luck to all.

Border View has always been one of my favorite places to go for ice fishing. First tip--bring your own stuff. If you get your choice of holes, go to the northwest corner of the house. Stay out of the east side if at all possible. You may have to draw for positions on Day 2. Gold is always a good color on LOTW. Pink and white is another favorite. Buckshot Rattl'n spoons, Macho Minnow, Swedish pimples have all produced. I caught my biggest LOTW walleye (28") out of Border View on a bobber line with a pink hook. Bring electronics. If you mark fish up high, bring your line up and jig for them. The walleyes will suspend on LOTW. Jig during the middle of the day. It's usually slow over lunch time, but we caught some of our nicest fish (walleyes)during the middle of the day. Don't worry about getting out there when it's still dark. LOTW walleyes keep bankers' hours. I was a doubter at first, but it's true. Eelpout love the early morning and the late afternoon. Most memorable fish was a 48" sturgeon that circled every line in the house before it finally came through the hole with the back side of the hole skimmer. You're going to have a great time.

Yep, Engfish pretty well nailed it! My dad always says there are three colors to use on LOW- gold, gold, and gold.

I haven't been at Borderview for a while, but we've always been happy with them in the past.

Good luck, have fun, and bring a camera so you can show us how much fun you had!

Me and 3being other guys rented s sleeper from border view the 2,3,4 of January had a good time caught about 200 fish. Pink was the best color for us we fished all night I caught walleye at 8pm we caught 3 nice ones at 1 am one was 22 inches but the best bite was during the day.

Well we made it back late last night from the big pond. The roads were awful and it was still snowing. iI guess we just got a little spoiled with no real snow yet this winter. The fishing was slow at best I have never seen it that slow up there before. I only had 3 bites total on saturday noting on the ice for me. It wasn't for lack of trying. I tried every lure under the sun. But that is fishing. The group as a whole had poor luck with the fish. As for BorderView Resort it was awesome! The resort the staff the cabins were all great! I have stayed at many of resorts in Minnesota and North Dakota. I have to say this might be the best one! I have never seen a resort where everyone there tried to help in anyway they possible can. We ha a tough fishing the first day they put us in different house the next day. Not a easy task when there is a group of 12 fisherman. I have never seen a resort that went out of their way in all aspects of your stay to keep a person happy. Their staff stops by the houses all day long making sure everything is alright. My only complaint was that at 4:30 pm they came and took ur bait and picked up your fish. Then you had to be out of the house by 5:00 pm. We were just starting to get some bites in all of our houses. I know we rented day houses but we drove out the houses so nobody had to wait for us. We wanted to fish another hour or so just catch some fish and we had to leave. With all that said the way it sounds after talking to the whole group we are going back to BorderView Resort next year for our annual group trip. I would recommend this resort to anyone needing a awesome place to stay and fish. Just wondering if anyone has done BorderView's late ice pike tip up fishing? A few of us want to try it? We have always done it by Warroad unguided. Thank You to all! Good fishing to all!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.