• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing reports from Arneson's

Anyone been out on LOW through Arnesons? How has the fishing been? Coming up in March so I asume the sleepers will be out past the crack in areas that have produced in the past by then.

Just got back from two days there. I was not too encouraged when I asked what we were fishing and the guy that dropped us off said the houses were placed there because that is as far out as they could get...the pressure ridge was about 20 yards away.

They had the houses scattered wide and the fishing success was very spotty ranging from miserable to limits. There were several daring people that crossed the presure ridge yesterday though not sure how well they did or whether they made it back OK. There was a huge noise and it felt like we dropped an inch and everyone went outside their shacks to take a look, but nothing opened up.

For some fishing was better in the morning, but for most fishing was fast and furious from 3-5 and very slow the rest of the day. We were in 25' and ended up catching 27 wallye/sauger the first day, 23 the second, but only kept 6 fish each day as most were under 10". Throw in some bonus eel pout, perch, and tulibee and we kept somewhat busy throughout the day. They said they had 300 people out yesterday so moving people around was not possible unless you wanted them to move your house, which some people did, not sure if it helped.

The ice was maybe 16-20". I am guessing they will get across the pressure ridge soon but how long the ice will last is anyone's guess.

How wide is the pressure ridge? Fishing up there Thursday and Friday hoping to get out to virgin grounds. Did they say how deep the ice was on the crack?

Our guide said they were going to try to get over Monday but I've heard that rumor for a while. He said there was a spot with 2" and a crack a few feet wide where there was no ice but there were 3-5 full size trucks with large houses that went across somewhere so it has to be close to being good. The were out past gull rock. The very cold weather helped to thicken the ice but apparently the rapid change in temp contibuted to ice shifting.

That is awesome to hear I'm going up Sunday Monday and was going to cancel and fish mille lacs insteadif they didn't get across yet thanks for the report

Was up yesterday. They are now across the crack. Fishing was great.

2nd that...taking houses over the crack late Sat. and Sunday. They will be watching the crack all winter I'm sure, but lots of ice on both sides.

Had a crew of 6 guys in sleepers over the weekend. Fishing was fair on Thurs afternoon and pretty spotty on Friday and then it totally shut down on Saturday. Caught a couple on Sunday morning before coming off the lake. They were pulling sleepers across the crack Saturday afternoon and reports were incredibly strong Sunday morning already with one group filling a 5 gal bucket in about 2 hrs already that morning. I'm wishing we would have postponed our trip now.

The houses were great as usual, super clean and very comfortable. The service however was very very lack luster. Had a check in time of 2pm on Thursday. Got there about 2:10pm and waited and waited and waited. Hour and a half later we were finally loading gear into their trailer to head out. Told them we wanted to be off the ice between 11 and 12 on Sunday and that was mentioned to our guide who checked on us Saturday evening again. We ended up sitting there until about noon and finally called. Sat there another hour or so and called again, then sat for another 40 min before someone finally showed up.

How far are they going out with their houses? Is there anyone out as far as 12 m mile and 16 mile? And is the ice rough or smooth?

Arnesen houses are out beyond the crack in 27'. Beyond that, snowmobiles or ATVs are getting to 5 mile, Arnesen reefs, 12 mile, and 16.

Had a large fish trip over the weekend. Our limit consisted of 17" to 19"ers. Slot fish of 20" x 6, 21", 24", and 27", mostly out by Cooker's, also picked up a 32" pike. The eyes are big and fat, even the males.

FINALLY some good news on the west end! Hard to "get over crack" LOL but well worth it! Keep the reports coming....have to wait til March to try my luck.

Just spent 3 days in their sleepers on virgin grounds...got there around noon and limited out first day. Very nice saugers this year and the walleyes are fat. Fishing continued to be very good the next 2 days with some larger walleyes. 26,24, 23, and a couple just over 19.5. We also got some bonus jumbos and 5 northerns. Great trip once again and going back in march if he ice hangs on...

Fished Sunday Monday and did awesome Sunday was little slow with a few alot but we did get bigger keepers and Monday we didnt get out till 9 limited by 11 with three guys. Was my first time and I even got to come back with a 14 inch pig of a perch for my wall I tell you ya cant get more for ypur money like ypu do there that was awesome

What lures were working for you guys? Last year second week into March my boys and I spent time in one of their sleeper houses. We had luck on dead stick/ice foam bobber/plain red hook & a minnow. Jigging had luck with gold/orange macho minnow, red glow rattln flier, gold jig o bit is what caught the pout on. This March plan to try some Tom's Tackle pink charmers, JRs hot tomalle and red glow drop. Looking forward to seeing how they do. Now that I've gotten over handling the pout, plan to try the poor mans lobster this year! Good luck to all! All of your reports get me through the days until I can get up there so keep em coming!

pounded them yesterday. 3 full limits with 5 fish over 16.5" Gold and glow red worked for us.

Other recent fishing reports?

What is the ice depth off Arnesons? JP from wigmam noted that typical ice depth this time of year on LOW is 36" but this year they have 24-26". Is ice depth down on west end also? Hope to have fishable ice yet for us in March!

What a fun trip. I took my wife and 3 kids up for the first time ever. My girls loved it. We got a few for the table, nice fish, including a 14 inch perch. It was a fun Morning. GET THERE EARLY. the bite lasted for us from 8:00 to 9:30ish with very few after.

One disgusting/disturbing thing happened. My friend drove up to fish near us and decided to set up on some holes left from anglers the day before. These holes had a 1/4 inch skim of ice. In 3 of the holes he found a 16 inch walleye, a 13 inch, and a dink, all frozen half way in. Why would anyone do this? Can't people count while they are fishing and not have to kill fish. Why would people throw back dead fish? Heck, walk 40 yards and offer it to someone else... Wow...

Started on 12 mile right away in the morning and threw a few in the bucket, but it was pretty slow. We started a bit shallower and when we went to move deeper around 10 the transmission on the auger failed.

Luckily we knew a guy who was on his way out and met him North of Gull Rock. We were able to borrow his auger, got set up at 1 and had our 16 fish by 3:30. Majority were sauger, with a few walleyes sprinkled in. Fish were pretty lethargic to start and didn't want much action but became more agressive later in the afternoon.

I was from Gull Rock to 16mile today. All the ice we found was a good 2ft. No need for an extention, but getting the gear box right down there now.

How are the sleeper houses at Arneson's producing? VMAN, what were you getting for ice thickness?

As Wiskey stated, its +24". I checked last weekend in one spot and had 26". I didn't check this weekend but it could be a little thicker with our -15F temps a few nights this week.

You won't need an extension if you are drilling from the ice, but when I drill in my Ice Castle I keep the house on its wheels. I needed the extension to get through in this situation.

Any more recent posts on Arnesons? We are heading up 3rd week in March. Never been there before but am really fired up. I've missed this whole awesome LOW bite this year so I am ready to catch fish!

Any updates from this past weekend? Headed to Arnesens on Sunday for 3 days of fishing.

Thanks!

marine_man

Bring your apple pie

I had some friends in Arnesens sleeper house out on 16 last weekend and hammered them really good!! 27 fow