• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Puero Vallarta Fishing?

eyehead

Hey guys,

Leaving for our Honeymoon Febuary 3rd and would like to tie into somethin without breaking the bank! Would love to go on a big charter chasing marlin, but that isnt really in the cards right now(or so im told ;)). Anyone done any fishin down there and willing to give me some info? Any smaller, reputable outfits that could get a guy on some fish? Never done any type of sea fishing before....Thanks!

Hello Eyehead.

I’ve been down to PV a few times in February and have fished both charters and independents. Charter fishing can be quite a bit more expensive, as you would expect and during February not quite as good as other months. Both times when we went on a charter we caught Bonito a type of tuna that isn’t very good as a standalone meal but works as a filler in a chowder or something like that. Pretty expensive filler if you ask me.

What I did enjoy was hiring a guy / guide to take me fishing in a small boat kind of like a Skiff. No cover so bring the sun screen if you choose to go. For $200.00 we fished the bay all day and did quite well with a many species boated (mostly Bonito). What I did was to take the bus ($1.00 each way) to the next town called Boca. Boca’s a small fishing and tourist village just to the south of PV on the bus line. Go down the hill from the bus drop-off point to the bay where all the restaurants are located. Don’t deal with the restaurant wait staff regarding asking for a fishing guide they’ll only take a cut and your trip will be $50.00 more expensive but go down where the boats are at and talk to any of the guys there they own the boats and will set you up for when you want to go. Last time I was there was two years ago and as stated above it cost $200.00 + tip.

BTW I’ll also be in PV but I’ll be leaving on the 1st and probably fishing on the 3rd. Good Luck to you and your Bride.

Scott

Last thing I wanted to do on my honeymoon was go fishing and I had lived with her for 10 years. Just don't hate the fish that much. Hope you run this by the wifey to be before you book or prepare for your first night on the couch. The sooner you realize the male involvement in a wedding is providing the ring, the less painful the realization is.

I didnt ask for opinions on wether or not WE should go fishing on our HM! I asked if anyone had any experience fishing down there......

She knows the outdoors are part of who I am and loves to sit in the boat with me workin on her tan, reading, fishin a lil, ect.....Just like I do things that she likes even tho I would never do them without her! Plus, we are down there for over a week.

anyways, Thanks for the info Ewalt! Hopefully we can get into some fish.

You go Nate! Get her trained in early I say! I haven't fished PV (you really should be going to Cabo...:) but I know the really good fishing is quite a ways out and quite expensive. The inshore is cheaper, you should be able to hook up with someone once you get down there i would think. Not usually the way to do it, you're right asking for references, but I'm thinking the fishing isn't exactly your # one prioity this time around anyway, am I right?? Have a great time, and congrats:)

Don't worry about things Nate, some of these guys can't believe there are guys out there that don't need to ask permission to get out of the house. wink

I'm going to be down in PV next month as well, the Mrs. and I will be two months shy of our 20th wedding anniversary, told her I was fishing everyday. smile

I plan to chuck baits from the beach for a couple hours everyday, but the old lady gave me some cake for Christmas to get out in a boat. And I plan on looking for some kayak fishing opportunities. So let me know what you find down there upon your return. This will be my first trip to PV.

Traveler....

I was waiting for you to chime in on this thread, but you've never fished PV? Oh no, what's this world coming to?

smilewinksmile

Traveler....

I was waiting for you to chime in on this thread, but you've never fished PV? Oh no, what's this world coming to?

smilewinksmile

Duffman the resort im stayin at offers free use of kayak's.....hmmm, pack my Salist with and then go to the Puerto Vallarto wal-mart for a cheap surf rod?? Yup, sounds like a plan for now smile

Thanks Traveler and Duffman for the ideas!

I've been to Puerto Vallarta few times. You'll love it! The second time I was there, we decided to go out fishing, so we went to the marina and wandered around talking to different places. We went out with "Master Baiters" guide service. Its a baitshop too. Good luck!

My suggestion would be to spend the extra money to get out of the bay. PV is nearly 15 miles in from the mouth of Banderas Bay and most of the good fishing grounds start just a little bit further out. Most boats that travel from the PV area are going to be more expensive and take up more of your time traveling to the fishing grounds. Look for charters out of La Cruz de Huanacaxtle and Punta de Mita, taxi rides about $40 and $60 respectively and excellent charters out of either location that you can find with an easy google search. I've fished with Danny Gomez on the 'Dhamar'(one of the best Panga fisherman) and have heard great things about the Osuna brothers(Marla's Sportfishing)who is also out of La Cruz, along with Lora Vasquez(Fortuna), Elias Caldo(Big Tuna 2), and Pacheco Tours(Pacheco was our mate on offshore trip last year) all out of Punta Mita.

• 1 month later...

full-552-18097-img_0975.jpg

This is the only little guy I caught while renting a kayak for an hour. Had a school move thru quick chasing baitfish, had the one hook-up and by the time it was landed and a quick pic, they were gone. Fun little fight, he had a couple hanging out right next to him on the first runs past the kayak.

Casted for about an hour every morning from some rock jetties, missed a couple of bites and got a good start on this years casting elbow. smile

• 1 year later...

Was in PV last week. Went in a charter and had a blast. We caught some jack cravelle and had a blast.

null_zpsa02b7025.jpg

One thing I didn't know is that sometimes you can get in on a "split charter" where the charter company puts together a group of several folks who want to go, and can split the cost.

That might be an option if the full bill is more than you want to pay. Charter boats usually (I don't know about Mexico) can accommodate several people.

Prices vary quite a bit. I have gone on charters like meantioned above where there are people you don't know on the boat for much less. The downside is, if fishing is slow, you had better hope you get to catch one of the first ones. These where around the $200 range plus tip for half day (6 hours). Lots of bonita like meantioned, but still fun.

I actually got married in PV. Me and my buddies chartered a boat the day of my wedding. Awesome wedding day....fishing in the morning, say I do at sunset on the beach. I will definetly do it the same way next time grin My wife hates when I say that!

The best I have ever done was when my wife and I bit the bullet and chartered a boat for ourselves. I met with the owner and told him I am willing to pay to get to the best fishing, it was $600 including tip. I did catch a sailfish over 9 feet though. This however was in Manzanillo not PV. Next time we go back to PV I plan to do this again.

You guys should really contact Danny Gomez out of La Cruz. He's a phenomenal fisherman and world class panga captain with an excellent mate, maybe the best and most meticulous mate I've ever seen. We were down once again in December offshore and boated 8 Tunas ranging from 75-100 lbs, a Wahoo, a 35lb. Bull Dorado, and two Sailfish(had a third on but spit the hook). One of the best days offshore I've ever had! PV is just an amazing fishery offshore from Oct-Jan! He's got 20 years experience in the PV fishing grounds and has numerous super cow Tunas, grander Black Marlin and multiple 500lb+ Marlin in a single day under his belt and is considered one of the best live bait west coast style panga captains down there. He speaks perfect english and is a super great guy to talk with. All top notch Shimano Tiagra and Avet reels and Calstar rods. Guy is no joke and fishes harder than any captain I've fished with thus far in my life! Pretty much the first phone call I make now when planning a trip down there.

Scott

Dhamar Sportfishing

Capt. Danny Gomez

his personal cell# calling from the states is 011-521-322-111-4802