• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reloading

Ok, I know this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE can of worms, But, I am looking into getting into reloading rounds. I have a .243 win that is my primary critter getter. I haven't penciled it all out for sure, but I think I can reload for a fair percentage less than i can buy off the shelf. I am shooting Winchester Supreme silver tips 55 grains. So I am not shooting a cheap round.

Anyways, What was suggested to me was to maybe start with a Lee Classic kit, which is cheap, and would allow me to dabble into it without a huge investment, and buy piece by piece the accessories and things I find necessary as I go, and then buy a decent loading press.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start with this let me know! Maybe someone has used equipment they want to get rid of, Or maybe someone in the area I live does this, and would be willing to show me some tricks of the trade. Thanks for any input!

I have a load for you to try it's a 70 grain sierra matchking bthp, I wont quote it off the top of my head till I look in my book.

I'm open to suggestions, I am primarily hunting yotes, not deer with this gun. But if i get into this, i would like to try different loads to see what the tikka t3 lite likes!

Find a gun shop that sells reloading supplies and spend some time and some money there. They will dial you in on the various things you need and help you figure out what bullets and what powder will get you going in the right direction. I don't think any of the box stores have people with that kind of knowledge and when you find the right place they will save you a lot of time and money.

Find a gun shop that sells reloading supplies and spend some time and some money there. They will dial you in on the various things you need and help you figure out what bullets and what powder will get you going in the right direction. I don't think any of the box stores have people with that kind of knowledge and when you find the right place they will save you a lot of time and money.

Exactly. There is so much stuff involved with it.

Head up to gun stop reloading in minnetonka off of excellsior, theyhave a very knowledgable staff and will help you out. I recommend that you start by getting a couple of reloading books first and read them before you buy any equipment at all. I have a Lee press and it cranks very accurate ammo. I would recommend their breech locking challenger press. Once your dies are set it is easy to swith out the dies and not have to reset hem all the time..... Ask more qustions, there are a few reloaders on here and we are happy to help out

I have reloaded for years and have a piece of advice or two.

This sounds like your first reloading adventure. Get a good book on reloading

(try Half Priced Books) and learn the basics first. It doesn't matter when the book was written, the techniques haven't changed a bit for your purposes. In it they will tell you what pieces of equipment you will need to get you started. Then go to the Craig's List website and do a search for "reloading" under the sporting section of the area you live. You will find good equipment cheap. There are enough people who are dumping their equipment either because they can't afford this hobby, or just don't understand it. Look for sales at Cabelas as sometimes they do offer the cheapest prices in town. And this gives you another reason to drive out there. One tip with Cabelas is apply for their credit card and you can get $50 off your next purchase like I did.

You can get load information for free from the powder manufactures websites like Hodgdon's and Alliant so you wont even have to pay for that. Take your time, have fun, build a nice bench for yourself and go to work!

Is there a good website for ordering the stuff I need online for a good price? As far as consumables. I have a book I am going through now, and will most likely pick up another one or two... It is interesting to me, and Doesn't seem like something I would be afraid to tackle, and that I would enjoy. picksbig, Would that be Lees 4 hole turrent press? That is kind of the one I am leaning towards, as simplicity in changing between calibers i would see as beneficial in getting motivated to go start a run, not having to reset everything.... Anymore thoughts are appreciated...

It hits me where I live when the talks turn to reloading. I've been doing it since the late '70's. The remarks about getting a hold of some books is sage advice. Then try to find someone that reloads and buy yourself a set of dies, bullets, powder, brass & primers and use his equipment. ("But, let me interject this: "never count the money you spend on a hobby"). I'm a RCBS man but, it's up to you to decide on what products you choose. Then ask around this site for loads that people use in your caliber. That .243 will do you just fine from varmits to deer. Not only will reloading give you a sense of satisfaction but it will make you a better marksman by shooting more. Is it cheaper then factory loads? re-read my Quote. It can easily become an obsession trying to get that one load to shoot one hole in the paper, I KNOW!!! You can find excellent advise and gain knowledge by looking around the net for reloading forums. The High Road (THR)comes to mind. You've put way toooo much thought into this.....go do it!!!!! Another really interesting read is "the secrets of The Houston Ware house".

So, I looked more into the kit hornady sells, the Classic lock and load kit. I found them locally for a pretty decent price, and the components included seem to be very useful and items I would us for longer term rather than up grading... so this is somewhat of the direction I am leaning. Does anyone know anything about hornady's presses? Do Dies from other manufacturers work in the lock and load adapter? Once again, thanks for all the help.

The Hornady kit is just fine. Although I use very little of their equipment except die sets, I can hardly believe you wouldn't be happy with their setup. Yes, the lock and load system works with every die maker, it is the way the dies are set into the press that is different. I use both RCBS and Lee, and let me tell you for the money you can't beat the Lee Turret Press (the cast iron model). I have seen it at Cabelas for as little as $89.00 on sale. Your right, setting up different calibers on a single turret and not having to adjust them again is certainly usable. I do it and find it very useful.

By the way, the .243 is a great round to begin reloading with. I also reload that cartridge, and it is a hard one to screw up on. There are so many good bullets available and so many good powders it will build your confidence to try other calibers as you acquire them. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! The way I understand the Lock n load is like the turrent in the way that the quick lock system once the dies are setyou are are able to change them out quickly as well... There is nothing that scares me away from the lee press... The hornady kit comes with a few more things, as well as a digital scale, and you cannot even begin to buy the bits and pieces for what you can buy a kit for it seems like.... And, with the kit they give you 500 free bullets, and if you buy hornady dies, they give you another 100 bullets, so I could be looking at 600 free bullets which really ends up making the kit even less... and Hornady V maxs ar eone of the bullets I would like to try loading for the varmint loads. AHHHH Decisons! Hahaha!!!

I have a hornady lock n load press. It is a pretty good press. It uses collets to make it quicker to change the dies. I use Redding, RCBS and Hornady dies in it and they all work fine.

Have fun reloading. It is a pretty good feeling when you find a load that really drives tacks.

Alrighty guys,

I done did er, I got the hornady lock n load classic kit. Got it pretty well set up tonight, and so far it seams to be pretty sweet! I have 50 cases primed already, I will probably try loading some powder and make a few bullets, and hopefully get to shoot them weather permitting and see how they work! If i figure out how to load pics on here I will and show you the set up.... thanks for all the help thus far, And any suggestions on loads/powder for a .243 win would be alright with me, I am loading .55grain ballistic varmint nosler and i picked up H414 powder to start with as this was the most accurate load tested in the nosler book with that bullet... I will probably start with 50.5 - 51 grains.

Josh, when I do a developmenatl load (first time with that powder or bullet) I like to start .2 grains from the maximum and work my way backwords for 10 groups of 3 (i.e. if max is 51 grains my biggest load would be 50.8 and I would work backwards from that to the beginning load 49 grains.) You will find that your rifle will like something in that development. remember that faster doesn't always mean more accurate.

The kit was 299 with a rebate for 500 hornady bullets. So about $120 dollars worth of free bullets. I bought brass, bullets, and a few hand tools and powder, as well as a few storage totes etc to set up with. Total investment for the day was about $500... if you already have some of the other equipment though you may be able to get buy on a different kit, or just with a press and dies...

also, The rounds I am am currently buying off the shelf range from $1.60 to $2.00 per round, and I can load the same load for around $.55 to $.60..... so at a buck a round, and with about $400 invested in the equipment, minus 100$ for the free bullets, it'll only take me about 300 rounds to pay for itself...

if you go to gun broker, you can get once fired brass really reasonably priced. I know I have a big bin of once fired that I might touch in twenty years. I also found 1 pound coffee containers great for storing brass. I started wearing gloves (medical kind) now when I reload. It keeps my hands cleaner and those cases get dirty. Take you time as you powder them tonight, I remember hand measuring but once you get in a rhythm, it really doesn't take that long

I plan to hand measure probably all of the rounds, if I am going to load them may as well load them right. I had thought about surgical gloves to help keep the brass from tarnishing. The kit came with a digital scale and a powder trickler, so I think measuring the loads should go fairly good. it also cam with a priming tool... which I primed 50 cases last night in less than five minutes... It worked very nicely! I will check out the once fired rounds on gun broker, thanks for the idea!

Did you resize your cases first? before you put the primers in? I am sure you did, but just asking........I wouldn't worry about the tarnishing the cases, keeping your hands clean is the reason I wear them

welp, actually I didn't think about it on the new brass i bought... but i did remember before i powdered and set bullets... I set my primer punch higher, and lubed it lighty every half doesen casings or so, and rounded the neck... ran three test rounds with the 51 grain h414. Took them out, and shot a half inch group at 50 paces off a bi pod in the prone position, with a 20 mile an hour cross wind.... went back in, loaded 47 more just like it... Once I am comfortable with the process I will try different loads... but that worked better than factory loads off the bat!

Any suggestions on a cleaning system? I am leaning towards a sonic cleaner for space/ number of items sitting around, and the fact that it seems it would clean inside and out without having to worry about cleaning primer pockets and flash holes... thoughts?

I have the Hornady LNL sonic cleaner. I like it! I use the solution posted on numerous websites that includes vinegar, distilled water, and dove dishwashing soap. I also run it three cycles (480 seconds) to clean my brass.

Another tip is to use a decapping die to remove the primers from the brass first and brush up the primer pockets before you put them into the solution.

Soap... I have found a load that has given me a .64", .76", and .89" inch group in my test fires, rounds shot today (with a 10mph ish direct cross wind. This is with a .58 gr v-max. With this short/light bullet is that a fairly successful load for a .243, or should I be trying to fine tune into something else? I'd like to stay with the lighter bullet to try to help save pelts, (And I 500 free ones coming for my rebate on the kit) I was pretty satisfied with this compared to most things... I am now shooting out of a lead sled with a decent table. Working much better, I have found another load that is fairly consistent with an inch group in the same conditions. All shots are at about 100 yards. Any thoughts on this??? I am thinking i could really make this gun a tack driver with a little heavier bullet, but this is more consistent then the expensive factory rounds I have been shooting. Thanks for thoughts/opinions/ idears!

regaurdless of the bullet weight/style? Should I be playing with the OAL a bit as well? I will say my gun seems to be tempermental to barrel temp a bit... but it just may seem to be that way to me. I will need to pick up some more of that powder and try fine tuning a bit more... it is the best luck i have had yet, but I ran out of that powder in my tests today. I believe my gun can shoot a better group than that, and shooting out of the lead sled I feel as though I am getting it on the same spot each time... I will keep tuning and see what happens, plus, its fun!

Vary your grains up or down .2 grains and see what happens. Seat the bullet a tad longer and see what happens. Now when seating them longer go in thousanths of an inch and NEVER force a bolt shut on a round

Picks, thats my plan! I Have already went up from my best load in .2 grain increments, and I am going to try down... When I did my step loads originally I did 5 sets of .5 grain increments.... So, I plan to try to fine tune it a bit.... On the OAL, I have the hornady comparator set, and OAL guage, And have been able to get to where I think i need to be by the guidlines in the instructions. I am plenty short on the OAL to the tip, and according to the OAL gauge and comparator set, I should be good on the round over on the bullet as well... But Maybe I need to back it off, or lengthen it a tad, I guess more playing is due! So far i have had decent luck with Varget, and my best so far is with H414... I am re trying my best step load of IMR 3031 (Pretty sure thats right) as well to see how that does out of the lead sled now that I have one. Thanks guys!