• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Broadhead

kevfish1

What is a good broadhead to use on deer: I tried Rage and was not impressed at all. Going back to a fix blade head. I have shot muzzy in the past but want to give something else a try

Bro,

Pick up one of my G5 next time in town. First fixed blade I have ever shot that shot the same as field points without re-sighting in. Good blood trails on two deer this year. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dome in my office tried them and had the same results as I.

I've been shooting the G5 lately myself. Great flight, but I haven't seen the good blood trails you mentioned, even though they've all lead to dead deer. Too small a diameter if you ask me.

Believe I'm going back to a mechanical next year.

I tried usind the NAP Bloodrunners this year and was impressed. Was able to harvest three deer in different areas of the state. Longest bloodtrail was 30yards.

Check out the blood pouring out of this one. If you look above her the blood was like a solid line for 20 yards. Unreal.

full-22007-16250-doe.jpg

Slick trick mags!!! They fly like a field point. 4 blade 1 1/8" cut. I have shot 4 deer with the same head. all pass throughs. Montecs in my opinion arent sharp enough, but the strikers aint bad. Find a place that will let your shoot em all before you buy one. Thats what I was able to do.

You could also try the Magnum G5 Strikers. However, any time you have a larger diameter cutting edge, you're more likely to have mismatches between field points and broadheads (that'll apply to any larger diameter head, not just Strikers). For thinner skinned critters like deer, I think larger diameter heads are great. For thicker skinned/boned animals like elk, moose, bear, etc. I'm a bigger fan of medium to smaller diameter heads the better promote penetration (larger diameter heads penetrate less than smaller diameter heads, everything else being equal).

Personally, I think it's dang tough to beat G5 Strikers, Magnus Stingers, and Magnus Snuffer SSs for fixed heads. For mechanicals, I absolutely love Spitfire Maxx's. The Spitfire XPs are also great- same broadhead except slightly smaller daimeter (if you've got slightly less KE). My brother shoots Bloodrunners and he's been very happy with them. He's very particular and knowledgable about all of his archery gear, particularly broadheads...

I have a hard time taking my Muzzy's off my arrows as they have served me so well over the years.

With that said I did try the Spitfires one year and I was pretty happy with those.

My son and a few buddies shoot the Rage broadheads and I switched to them as I could not believe the blood trail they leave. Best blood I have seen from a broadhead.

My Buddy owns a meat locker in town where they cut a lot of deer I think this year just for gun season they cut close too 500 deer. I brought him muzzle loader hunting and when he came over he pulled a broad-head out of his pocket that was removed from a gun killed deer. He proceeded to tell me he has found more broad-heads in deer this year then any years past the one thing they all had in common was they were all the 2 blade rage most went in on a quartering shot and followed the rib cage not going into the chest cavity.

I'm not saying they are a bad head heck I have shot 5 or 6 deer with them I do shoot the 3 blade though not sure if that is the difference. I love the slick trick mags however the blood trails are really lacking.I'm going to try something different this coming season,I bought some griztrickII and loved them however they shot about 9 inches higher then any other head I shot.

Several new Rage clones this year, mostly improved designs. NAP Killzone, TT/Ulmer Edge, G5 Havoc, etc.

I'll probably be shooting Magnus Stingers again this fall. Might try out that Edge too if I'm fortunate enough to punch a few tags, it's a pretty well-designed head. Still in the air for this spring!

I shoot Slick Trick Mag 4 blade 100gr broadheads . Fly like a field point, I have never had a problem with them. It is nice to practice shooting with field points in the offseason and then put on your broadheads and find that your shots ares still in the same place as the field points were.

The deer I shot this past season had a good size hole from the slick trick. One nice thing about fixed blade broadheads is you don't have to worry about any moving pieces working properly when it hits a deer vs. mechanical.

Just my two cents on the issue

Good luck

Newfish

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Magnus stingers have worked well for me.

My Buddy owns a meat locker in town where they cut a lot of deer I think this year just for gun season they cut close too 500 deer. I brought him muzzle loader hunting and when he came over he pulled a broad-head out of his pocket that was removed from a gun killed deer. He proceeded to tell me he has found more broad-heads in deer this year then any years past the one thing they all had in common was they were all the 2 blade rage most went in on a quartering shot and followed the rib cage not going into the chest cavity.

I'm not saying they are a bad head heck I have shot 5 or 6 deer with them I do shoot the 3 blade though not sure if that is the difference. I love the slick trick mags however the blood trails are really lacking.I'm going to try something different this coming season,I bought some griztrickII and loved them however they shot about 9 inches higher then any other head I shot.

I have heard bad things about the 2 blade broadhead also.

Now the 3 blade from what I have seen is the exact opposite.

I have seen many holes in deer form a 3 blade Rage that were larger than any gun hole I have put in a deer even with my 300mag. Also includes my shotgun deer.

The 1st deer my son shot with a 3 blade rage I could not believe the hole it put in the deer.

90 grain 4 blade muzzy is very hard to beat for me. I have shot alot of deer with them and had good blood trails and crapy blood trails, I shot a 9 point this year after gun season and before muzzy season in the snow and there was no blood in the snow a couple little spray drops but that was it. I followed his foot tracks in the snow. I have had good trails, but not WOW trails. I want WOW trails!! I have shot two deer with the rage and didnt find either one of them, 2 solid days of looking for them and nothing. I will not shoot them again. I am thinking about the bloodrunners or the meat seakers

I think no matter how you slice it (ha!) you are going to get bad blood trails occasionall. Heck, I've had horrible blood trails after shooting a deer in the vitals with a shotgun slug and a 30-06. It just happens. I don't think a bad blood trail or two (if you shoot a lot of deer) is justifying switching brands of broadheads, because it most likely wasn't the fault of the broadhead.

My beef with the rage 2-blade is that it seems to make a slit rather than a hole, and it is easy enough for skin or fatty tissue to block that slit and make a horrible blood trail. Causes phenomenal damage though.

For my money, just about any fixed-blade that shoots true is going to be a good choice. You don't have to worry about mechanical failures. They cut on contact. Some might be a bit better than others, and price is always a consideration. After shooting fixed 3- and 4-blade muzzys I don't think I'll go away from them.

The broadhead I have had the most confidence in is the thunderhead I have killed over 40 deer with those and have never had a failure and most of the blood trails were great. However once I passed the 280 fps mark I have a hard time with the flight and got erratic groups that's when I switched to the slicktricks.

Honestly anything sharp will do, its where you hit it not wha tu hit it with. In my finding the slick tricks flew the best. But what works for me may not for you. Shoot the broadhead that you can put in the spot it needs to be.

Pooh, on good shots where everything goes just as it's supposed to, I totally agree. However, not all shots are perfect and some broadheads are more likely to perform better or worse than others. Aslo, different heads have strengths and weaknesses in their design. Mechanicals, some people believe, are more likely to deflect on sharp angled shots than fixed heads. Pros and cons of chisel points vs. not, large diameter vs. small diameter, different style and number of blades, different clipping/holding systems for mechanicals, etc. There are some mechanical heads, for example, that I won't even consider because of the system they use to hold the blades in before it ever gets to the target you're aiming at. Aslo, some broadheads are sharper than others out of the package and some retain a great edge better than others.

So, if all goes well- mostly you're right and it doesn't matter. However, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of different heads can lead you to better decisions about broadheads and better choices in the field. It can also lead you to an excellent broadhead choice before you ever get in the field. ...and IMO, some of the pretty popular heads out there are not well designed heads.

Anything made by rocket.

I use the meatseeker for Mechanical and Ultimate steel for fixed.

The Ultimate steel leaves a great trail and goes through anything.

Scoot you're right. Only problem with finding a weekness in a head, is you have to find the weakness, which is something that only come by using it.

I Like simple in a broadhead, therefore a fixed blade head. Also shot deer a few different ones. I say pick the one you can put where its supppoesd to be, or shoot straight. I say this because I spent alot of money I didnt need to buying broadheads that made my arrow fly like a wet noodle. One head in particular did the same on 3 different setups. Im not saying which broadhead it is because someone may have great success with it, I didnt. Some shoot more accurate than others. Would you rather have one you can hit a target right with your field tips everytime, or the one that a guy on the internet says "its the best".

In my first post I commented on finding a shop that will let you shoot what they sell. Thats how I found my broadhead. I spent the better part of a day changing heads on my arrows and shooting. what works for me may not work for you or anyone else that reads this. therefore the OP needs to find the head he can shoot accuratly, everytime.

I killed my first deer with a 3 pack of broadheads I bought at the local Pamida when I 15. I paid 6 dollars and change for em. And Yes things happen and situations change, and do so very fast. Having a head you can shoot accuratly everytime to me is #1.

I think it totally makes sense.

I personally love the G5 strikers for their design, strength and out of the package sharpness.

I do shoot the Rage 2blade and I have never had a problem with them. I did lose one deer with them. It may have been a 1 lung shot, but there was blood EVERYWHERE! I've never seen such a gruesome scene. Never found it though.

I also have Magnus Stingers. I've had good results with them, but I've bent a ferrule and broke another. I know they have a lifetime warranty and they offered to send me a new pack.

You'll be using it illegally if you plan to use it in MN! Unless the 2" max regulation gets changed.

Has anyone used the Slick Trick either standard or mag while using 2 inch blazers. I used to shot Muzzy, but when I started using blazers, I couldn't get the Muzzy to shoot consistent.

Has anyone used the Slick Trick either standard or mag while using 2 inch blazers. I used to shot Muzzy, but when I started using blazers, I couldn't get the Muzzy to shoot consistent.

Yup that's my hunting rig and the fly like bullets af far as you want to shoot them,I played with them out to 100 yards a few times.Those blazer veins are the cats meow for fixed blade heads. I'm going to try a 4 fetched arrow and see what that does.

90 grain 4 blade muzzy is very hard to beat for me. I have shot alot of deer with them and had good blood trails and crapy blood trails, I shot a 9 point this year after gun season and before muzzy season in the snow and there was no blood in the snow a couple little spray drops but that was it. I followed his foot tracks in the snow. I have had good trails, but not WOW trails. I want WOW trails!! I have shot two deer with the rage and didnt find either one of them, 2 solid days of looking for them and nothing. I will not shoot them again. I am thinking about the bloodrunners or the meat seakers

You will like the meat seakers. They fly great and do a lot of damage. I have both the ultimate steel(fixed blade) and Meat seaker in the quiver.

I use 100grn Slick Tricks with Fusions and I like them. Field point accuracy as claimed (obviously when the bow is tuned correctly)