• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mr. Heater Buddy vs. Dyna-Glo

neusbaum

Question

Menards sells a portable propane heater made by Dyna-Glo, that to my untrained eye looks like the Mr. Heater Buddy. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? Anyone have a Dyna-Glo they can comment on?
Thanks

10 answers to this question

I have the heater by Dyna-Glo. The description is the same as the buddy heater right down to the oxygen sensitive shutoff. I used mine today and it kept my Glacier 3 nice and cozy.

Seaduck

I thought the Dyna-Glo had a lower BTU on "high", like maybe 6500. My Buddy-Heater goes up to 9000 BTU on high, 4000 on low.

[This message has been edited by Lowe (edited 01-16-2003).]

The Dyna-Glo is 4500 BTU on low and 8000 BTU on high. I'm wondering if it's the same unit being sold under two different names. They seem to be about the same price. Anyone know for sure?

Make sure before you buy either one you have a house that is air tight cause that ****** pilot light always gets blown out from a little draft, I own the dyno-glo and know many other people that have both models and they all have the same problems

------------------
FISH-ON!!!

I have the mr. buddy heater. I have to agree with canvasback. The pilot does blow out in any draft in my fish trap guide. At first I thought it was the low oxygen senor, but after some experimenting, I found it to be the pilot lite. I also found it to be a bit small, heat wise, for my likeing. At the high setting (9000) it was barely able to keep up when it was below 10 degrees. Anyone figure out and solve the pilot problem? I like the unit a lot, but it really is a pain to have to relight it 6 to 10 time every time I go out.

Cover the lowest inch or two of the grill on the front of the Buddy with foil. Just enough to create a bit of a wind-break. Problem solved.

I am a not-always-proud owner of a Buddy heater. It is a nice heater the way it is set up, the starting button, and the compact size. I just don't think it puts out enough heat at 9000 btu's, so I don't think the 8000 would be even close to enough. I have to try the foil method because mine blows out a couple of times an hour in my clam. The old style heater/cooker is looking better all the time.

I have a frabil triplex that I set the buddy heater in the sled facing my back and it does'nt get any wind on it at all and nobody has to step over it getting in and out and I can warm up a cold hand easy.

Great idea with the foil I will definately have to try it, it is anoying having to relight the thing every two minutes.I also agree that it doesn't really put out enough heat either, it gets the house a little warm but not quite enough.

------------------
FISH-ON!!!

Good idea on the foil.

I spent the weekend in a big portable/sleeper on the Gunflint trail looking at one guy's Buddy and one guy's Dyna-glow.

Both went out if you knocked them. Both went out in a breeze. Both take up about the same space. Don't know about the Buddy, but the Dyna-glo has a cover to snap on after you've screwed in the propane cylinder. And the Dyna-glo comes with a carrying case that also holds two 1 lb propane cylinders.

The Dyna-glo costs $65 new at Menard's, regular price. Regular price on the Buddies is usually about $80. Sales, of course, will drive both these prices down. Dyna-glo maxes at 8,000 btus, Buddy at 9,000.

I have a Fish Trap II, and have used a 4,000 btu Coleman black cat heater for the last few years, which keeps the two-man comfortable down to about 10 degrees to, say, zero. Below that, and I fire up the Coleman lantern, which adds another 5,000 or so, and that combination has kept me warm to 20 below. Colder than that and I'm sitting at home.

All that being said, I went out earlier today and bought the Dyna-glo. grin.gif I'll be leaving the cat at home now.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-20-2003).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.