• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 season

Scott K

Almost every off season I have enjoyed watching the rumors fly, and I would get excited for new coming players, or even rookies to play. This off season has been a bust so far in my eyes, with loosing a bunch of talent, and not replacing any of it, with anything close to what we got rid of. At this point in the year, I am counting the days to see spring training games, and highlights, this year, not so much. I have close to 0 interest in the Twins right now, and I am usually a big fan. Baring some sort of big acquisition to the team yet this offseason, I cant say I will have any interest in them this year. I usually go to a couple games a year, and I cant see spending any of my money on watching this team. I hope they somehow prove me wrong, and come out strong, and get a lead in the division, but I dont see it happening, to bad.

Hard to argue with you about our chances this year. The M & M Boys will both have to be back in MVP form for us to have ANY kind of a shot. BUT, I'll still be a fan. I'll still go to around a dozen games this year and I'll still cheer for them no matter how the team fares.

Hell, I was a fan back in the 80's when they REALLY sucked! It's all about the game. Yes it's nice to be a winner every single season, but you gotta take the good with the bad and hope for the best. It's still just a game, try to enjoy it for what it is.

last year was baaaddddd. there is no way they will repeat that. will they win the division or compete for it? i don't know, but they've done more with less over the last decade, so why not this year.

bottom line. we need our mvp's back.

Why is there no reason they will repeat what happened last year? They are going to be terrible in every aspect of the game! I'm thinking 105 losses for sure! And mauer will miss at least 30 games for some petty injury. I really hope the boo birds start showing up at target field and letting him have it this year!

Bingo Amish, I think many have this fantasy about oh boy, we got a Japanese can't miss player. Look at Ichiro, look at Hideki Matsui, look at Hideo Nomo, look at Hideki Irabu lol, look at the Boston pitcher guy forget his John doe, remembered Dice K Matsuzaka, then when something sounded to good to be true for the twins the egg was layed, he did not know the infield fly rule and yes Japan has that rule, Dan Gladden about threw up. Just watch the inning Cuddyer pitched and that is what is what with Nishi. I always hope for the best for them, but we were dead last in striking people out and our defense is no where near where it once was. We got a lot of upper 80's pitchers and you have to be very fine, very sharp if you can't gas it by a guy here and there. Who was the AL mvp, gas throwing Verlander, runner up likely gas throwing CC in the Cy young award, our soft throwers aren't Greg Maddux or Jaimie Moyer or Kenny Rogers, bunch of soft righties coming at you night after night if Perkins is in the pen this year, same ol thrower faced 3-4 nights a row in a series can't be good for us. Jury is out on our lefty that 1 night is cy young and the next outing it's 75 pitchers thru 3 innings.

• 3 weeks later...

Good or bad, I will stand behind them. The weather may not be fair this year, or it may be better than you think, but my fandom isn't fair weather and that much won't change even if it is a 100 loss year (which I don't think it will be).

cmon walleye Detroit aint so bad, what's left in the national league, the 2 big bruisers Puljol's and Prince are AL boys now, but I agree, I see Matt Tolbert finally got a minor league deal done with the Cubs. Why do I hear sports casters talking the twins did add a top free agent in Jaime Carroll, hang on here a top free agent ? I remember the 20- whatever drubbing the dodgers gave us last year and I don't recall Carroll being even on the field. Top free agent ? Really, but man if he can play solid D the Nishi experience will be forgot in a hurry.

With the loss of the good players we had and the fact we have really not added anything of proven talent and the fact that the M-M boys are questionable, I would say the Twins will be as bad or worse than last year.

There is simply nothing the Twins management has done to even think of getting excited.

I followed the Twins right to the end last season but since we look to be even worse, I may not watch them that much at all.

They could add one stud pitcher and I doubt that would even be enough but I guess we will wait and see.

I see no rreason why the Twins will not break the 100 loss mark unless they add something fast. I see nothing from Mauer as he will stub his toe and be out for a month. I do not believe Morenau will ever be what he was. I hope I am wrong.

I will follow like I do every year.

Win or lose I will stand behind the only male Minnesota team that brought us a Championship.

I think Terry Ryan will not allow Joe to whine and get away with it this year.

Justin I feel the concussion syndrome will shorten his career.

Pitching will be an issue, but isn't Lirano up for a contract year? Those years always seem to "enhance" a players performance.

Overall I am optimistic about a near .500 season and with a few breaks.....you never know.

I do believe Detroit is the class again.

Remember we have Chicago(rebuilding) without Ozzie, Cleveland (well it's Cleveland, always seem to average out, Kansas City (seem to be our beating stick team).

I just have no excitement for this team. Usually this time of year I am planning on make plans for a spring training trip, this year, I have no interest in the team at all. I still love baseball, but I think they will have to prove to me that they will be exciting for me to watch them this year. So in other words, I am going to wait until the band wagon gets rolling before I jump on.

It is a good thing they got that new stadium, so they can make a ton of money by people going to the games, while they wont even compete.

On paper, doesnt look to promising. Still will watch, first half cuz if you love baseball, u will. You never know.

I'd watch if I got FSN, have to wait for weekends and fox, then need a roster to figure out who's who. I don't know but generally the best teams win the most, not many flukes in MLB, so I think gardy will pound the antacids this season. I want Gardy to do a press conference again and have the microphone scare the beegeezus out of him again, that was classic.

their starting pitching is unfortunately more scary for us fans than it is for the opposing batters. wasn't that long ago where we supposedly had a good bunch of young pitchers who had good looking futures but none of them have really developed into the pitchers many thought they would.

with the offense so much is going to depend on players staying healthy this year and a few younger guys improving.

I'll definitely be watching early in the season at least but am not optimistic about it being a good season. gardy may be doing his tomato face press conferences often again this year.

Don't start jumping off of buildings just yet. They won't lose 90 this year, in fact they may contend into August. Amazing how everybody wants to throw Mauer and Morneau overboard. Get out your history books and find me a team with 2 currant MPV players. Talent doesn't disappear in this game, especially since they both have had multiple years of success at this level. IF THEY ARE INJURY FREE BOTH WILL PERFORM.

Pitching, pitching and pitching will have more to do with the failure or success then anything else.

As someone else mentioned we should only have to deal with the softball team in Detroit. If we have our stars back we will have a chance.

It will be interesting to see if our new pull hitters (Willingham & Doumit) can ring up some homeruns at Target Field.

Don't start jumping off of buildings just yet. They won't lose 90 this year, in fact they may contend into August. Amazing how everybody wants to throw Mauer and Morneau overboard. Get out your history books and find me a team with 2 currant MPV players. Talent doesn't disappear in this game, especially since they both have had multiple years of success at this level. IF THEY ARE INJURY FREE BOTH WILL PERFORM.

Pitching, pitching and pitching will have more to do with the failure or success then anything else.

As someone else mentioned we should only have to deal with the softball team in Detroit. If we have our stars back we will have a chance.

It will be interesting to see if our new pull hitters (Willingham & Doumit) can ring up some homeruns at Target Field.

I agree, talent doesn't disappear. The willingness to play does. Especially when you're getting paid $23 million a year.

And it's not "if they are injury free". It's if they are "injury" free. Those 2 scrubs get a fly in their face walking to the ballpark and they have to sit out for a month. Morneau's "concussion symptoms" have been going on for a year and a half? NFL players get a concussion in a game and play the next week. Wasn't he a supposed hockey player? Toughen up and earn your money. Or go back to Canada.

I don't think it's about toughness at all with morneau. if a guy is light headed or feeling a little dizzy, you can't just put him on the field and tell him to tough his way through it. it's not safe and you can't expect him to play well if that is what has been going on with him.

that being said, I don't think he ever will again be completely healthy and the ball player that he once was which is really too bad. talent wise, he's one of the best players to ever put on a twins uniform when he was healthy.

I agree, talent doesn't disappear. The willingness to play does. Especially when you're getting paid $23 million a year.

And it's not "if they are injury free". It's if they are "injury" free. Those 2 scrubs get a fly in their face walking to the ballpark and they have to sit out for a month. Morneau's "concussion symptoms" have been going on for a year and a half? NFL players get a concussion in a game and play the next week. Wasn't he a supposed hockey player? Toughen up and earn your money. Or go back to Canada.

What's funny is what I'd imagine were concussion(s) we never missed a high school football or hockey game period, no way, not a chance. I agree concussions are serious business but there's no doubt in a few cases it's like the old hamstring injury, if we got paid what they do we'd take all the time needed, now if we were a borderliner, could get cut released and never picked up by another team we'd heal up a lot quicker.

I have had a few concussions, I can feel the result of them. My ears permanently have ringing to them, a get headaches a lot, and I can tell, I just am not as quick thinking, as I was prior to them. I also can get dizzy pretty easy, just by something as simple as accelerating, and stopping a couple times in a car, it will make me nauseous . If I jump from 3 feet or so, and land on my feet, I will almost balck out. This has been many years ago since I last got one as well. I can easily see how someone wouldnt be able to play.

I agree, it does affect people differently definitely, like Corey Koskie wanted to quit playing, no he didn't, I just hope last years skid to the bottom didn't help our injuries linger until you might as well just shut it down for the year as we had 0 chance. I heard it again 2 days ago, "key free agent" Jaimie Carroll is he really a key acquisition ? In the history of our fantasy baseball league he's never been drafted or picked up on waivers ?

Brian, I'd gladly step in the box. I had a concussion when I was 9 and they said if I had that type of concussion again, I'd die. I think I was asleep for 3 days straight, and after those 3 days I went to school the next day. I had broken blood vessels in my eyes, and I'm not sure if I ate from the time I had my accident until I went to school. I can still remember my classmates staring at me when I showed up at school. I waved at all of them.

Morneau is a leech and I stand by that comment. If any team were stupid enough to pick up his contract, I would welcome that.

I don't agree with your assessment of Morneau but I also don't claim you can't have your opinion. My point is this............you don't know if he is scared, lazy, hurt, or disinterested. You just have your opinion. My point is he was hurt and if he comes back healthy he will be a good player again. The other thing I think I said was the Twins need both the M&M boys healthy to contend.

If I seemed thick headed it's only because people seem to want to rip these guys since they signed the big contracts. I never heard anybody ripping Span, and he earns several times what anybody here earns. Morneau has earned every single dollar of his contract. If the Twins don't have a problem with him I certainly don't think you should.

gladly stepping in the box and actually being able to do anything while there are two different things. we all saw morneau to be no where's close to the player he used to be while trying to play last year.

gladly stepping in the box and actually being able to do anything while there are two different things. we all saw morneau to be no where's close to the player he used to be while trying to play last year.

I was never told I had to be able to do anything whilst in the box. Just have the balls to step in there. I can tell you right now I wouldn't be able to do anything in there. But then again, I'm a welder, and I went to school for 4 years for accounting. I'm not a professional athlete like Ms. Morneau.

It's a good thing neither M and M boy went after hockey for Justin and football for Mauer, they might be a combined 272 million poorer. Those sports replace you quickly. Baseball you can linger on for years and years. Definitely want to see a full season again outdoors for both those guys.