• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New DNR Boater Checkpoints!!

I’m all about stopping the spread of Zebra Mussels and Milfoil. I clean my boat and drain the water just like I’m supposed to whenever I take it out of the water. But, these DNR checkpoints have gone too far. I can’t think of any other thing that I do where I am in more of a hurry to get to someplace, or home from someplace, as when I go fishing and camping with my boat. If I’m going up north fishing/camping after work on a Friday night, I’m usually planning it so I can take a half-day off from work, then I go get my boat hooked up, pack coolers and anything else I couldn’t do in advance, and try to get on the road ASAP. I usually am trying to drive the 4.5 hours to Voyaguer’s National Park the same night and get a camp set up before the sun goes down. I eat in my car and pay at the pump for gas just so I don’t get slowed down by anything.

I don’t have a problem at all with the DNR sitting at the landings and checking people’s boats because they’re already stopping and taking their covers off anyhow. I have no problem with them checking my boat during the 10-15 minutes it takes me to get my stuff together and straps off. I do question the constitutionality of the search, but since I don’t do anything intentionally wrong, that is a conversation for a different time.

Now the DNR is saying that every single boat needs to stop at checkpoints along the highway to have your cover taken off, live wells checked, and everything else searched. They could even require that your boat is cleaned with hot high pressure water? We could all be stopped at these checkpoints for hours. Just do the math on this: If you have 30 boats in front of you at the checkpoint, it’s going to take a minimum of 10 minutes per boat. That’s 5 HOURS!!! Over opener and holiday weekends every other vehicle is pulling a boat so you could have way more than 30 boats in front of you at the checkpoint. I don’t think it’s possible to take the cove off, check the boat, and potentially spray it down in 10 minutes per boat either. This is crazy!

I propose that we use modern technology to help each other out here. There are a lot of fishermen out there that feel the same way I do. This is something people need to get involved in right away. Click on the link that I have attached from the DNR website to read about the checkpoints. Write to your state representatives and tell them how much you disagree with this new power they have given the DNR. We should also start a thread on this site so people can report where the checkpoints are set up. That way other fishermen can detour around them. It will reduce the amount of traffic at the checkpoints and also help other people to just get where they’re going without having to participate in an unconstitutional search. Thoughts?

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2012/01/06/d...vasive-species/

98% of the inspections will take place at the boat landings. only 2% of the inspections will take place on the roads near infected lakes. i spoke a half hour with the person in charge of the project. your chances of getting stopped are slim at this rate and these are random. the site you posted does not get into details and this is why people get upset. if you have any questions call the DNR officials in charge and ask questions. good luck.

Here is what I posted in response to the 2% comment on the Open Water Forum:

It is absolutely fascist. Whether you agree that there is a problem or not, there is no excuse for the state legislature to grant the DNR the power to conduct unconstitutional searches. Not to mention that they are funding this program with tax payer money for the equipment and 150 now DNR Nazi’s. I’m not sure who talked to whom and came up with 2%, but you can read the actual DNR News Release here:

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2012/01/06/d...vasive-species/

I don’t see anything about 2%. What I do see is another over-reach by a government agency that will have unprecedented unintended consequences when sportsmen are delayed by 3-5 hours on their fishing trips. There is no mention of “Random” checks either. Everyone pulling a boat has to pull over! During opener and holiday weekends every other vehicle on the road is pulling a boat. If it takes an average of 10 minutes per boat and there are 30 boats in front of you, that’s 5 hours. I also think that this will have a deleterious effect. People will not check their boats over as well as they otherwise would have if they are in a hurry and they know they may have to stop at a checkpoint. They may decide to instead pull the weeds off when they stop for gas. Those weeds could now wash down to someplace else and so on…

Fascist? Nazis? Take it down a notch, por favor. Equating public policy you disdain with repressive and genocidal political regimes is neither accurate nor helpful.

You'll stand a much better chance of being taken seriously by the DNR, methinks, if you lodge your concerns without ludicrously referring to them as Nazis.

Sheesh.

Sorry. You’re correct. I was referring to fascist in the context of the government ideology of suppressing individual freedom. And, the Nazi reference was meant to simply introduce the “brown shirt” mentality, and complete helplessness with concern to compliance on this subject. However, I do agree with your point that they may be a little harsh. I simply am tired of my individual liberties being trampled because I happen to be a part of a minority group. In this case, a fisherman…

First off, the article clearly said they will not be working freeways.

2nd, if they stop you between Cloquet and I-Falls they will also stop me. While I won't like it, I like the invasives less.

3rd, if the inconvenience is to much A) leave your boat up on Rainy, B) sell your boat.

The ME, ME , ME mentality in this country has got to stop.

First off, the article clearly said they will not be working freeways.

2nd, if they stop you between Cloquet and I-Falls they will also stop me. While I won't like it, I like the invasives less.

3rd, if the inconvenience is to much A) leave your boat up on Rainy, B) sell your boat.

The ME, ME , ME mentality in this country has got to stop.

I agree completely. I'd rather see the DNR / Govmt protecting the ecosytems and beauty of these pristine lakes for everyone to enjoy rather than have them ignore these issue just so some time strapped and impatient weekenders are not inconvenienced further. Nazis, fascists and brown shirts? Really! Cmon! See your Doc for some pills and either leave earlier or camp and fish closer to home.

I think we need to do everything possible to stop the spread of invasives I love the lakes an love to fish. BUT this is going to far with to much authority. Isn't this a form of profiling? Just cause I have a hitch an pull a boat I'm subject to search. This is to much we have for years heard the black an Hispanic people say that they are pulled over for no reason other than they fit a profile. Now I know how they feel! I fish a lot of smaller lakes in n minn that are no where near an infected lake an have been checked before I launch MANY times. Wouldn't this money be better spent blanketing the lakes that are already infected if you don't bring them out they can't spread

Just my 2cents

SERIOUSLY? All I’m doing is attempting to preserve your right as a citizen to transport your private property on a public road that we paid for with our tax money without being forced to comply with an inconvenient and intrusive search! Now you guys are suggesting that I AM THE ONE that is off base while you’re actually suggesting that I should leave my boat at home or sell it? There are other places and ways to enforce the transportation of invasive species, like at the boat landings. It scares me how much of your individual liberties you guys are willing to give up just because it could potentially benefit you personally. If you think setting precedence like this will not have a deleterious effect in the future you are blind. Since you’re so concerned about the resources I’m sure you’re aware that ground animals and birds also spread invasive species from lake to lake. Do you want to stop them and search them as well?

Money makes the world go round.Why don't they actually address the source of the invasive problems instead of half stepping after the fact and............oh wait yea it's the money makes the world go around thing again.Happy check pointing......good luck and don't fall in!c63

SERIOUSLY? All I’m doing is attempting to preserve your right as a citizen to transport your private property on a public road that we paid for with our tax money without being forced to comply with an inconvenient and intrusive search! Now you guys are suggesting that I AM THE ONE that is off base while you’re actually suggesting that I should leave my boat at home or sell it? There are other places and ways to enforce the transportation of invasive species, like at the boat landings. It scares me how much of your individual liberties you guys are willing to give up just because it could potentially benefit you personally. If you think setting precedence like this will not have a deleterious effect in the future you are blind. Since you’re so concerned about the resources I’m sure you’re aware that ground animals and birds also spread invasive species from lake to lake. Do you want to stop them and search them as well?

Yes, SERIOUSLY.

You talk alot about my constitutional rights getting stepped on. But all I see is it's a inconvenience to you. I don't see any solutions better then what they propose. I don't see you offering any idea's on what they can do.

Here is the facts. We have a invasive specie problem in this state. Is it your fault.......no. Is it my fault...........no. Will it go away if we ignore it..........no. So, lets all quit acting like a bunch of 12 year olds and help fix the problem. If, like me you don't know how to fix it, at least support those who try. Our lives are NOT so important that we can't take a few minutes and try to help our environment. Many here are to young to remember this but. Back in the 70's you could not eat fish from many of the rivers in Minnesota. The Mercury and other pollutants would kill you. In Ohio, fires would burn ON THE WATER, that's how polluted they were.

Now, what if those people couldn't have been inconvenienced to do something? I've got kids and grand kids. If I need to go through inspections to help preserve the environment for my family so be it. Don't be offended by this but...........you aren't more important to me then my family.

Brian, i agree with you on this. some folks are frustrated because the complete details are not out yet but general information is, if those who want to know make a effort to find out. we had discussions on cormorants and why more control is not taken, the very harmfull lamprey of the great lakes which practicly destroyed the lake trout population which is now controlled and lake trout now have rebounded well.

the point being, we are in control mode with both native species and non native species. some through hunting, trapping, or using chemicals as done with lampreys.

how about invasive trash left behind by irresponsible people that call themselves fishermen on frozen lakes. it would be nice if we had DNR personel handing out fines for those who trash our waters, however we dont have enough CO's as it is.

over ten years of warnings and educating the public to enter a lake clean and leave the lake clean and there is still an 18 percent non-compliance. the 2% road checks that will be at or very close to a boat landing i believe is more of a awareness project that will probably be in the media event here and there. the 98% of inspections at the boat landing will do the most good however. good luck.

I bet ducks and geese and pelicans and cormorants spread more invasive species than boaters.

Even if this were true, and it probably is, do you want to kill all the ducks, geese, cormorants because of this? If so, should we shoot the guy whose truck leaks oil or anti freeze?

Lets just do what we can do. It's not costing anything except time, which we all have.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Hockeyguy on this one. You guys need to realize that this is a slippery slope to let them get away with. We all enjoy fishing and want the best for our lakes but what does this truly accomplish? Its not like they are fixing the problem, they are just doing a temp fix that requires a unconstitutional search. For this to actually work they would need to do this forever around the effected lakes.... OUR money and OUR resources would be more wisely spent at the landings and on research on how to effectively kill off the invasive species.

98% of the boat checks will be at the landings. research is also an on-going proccess, not just in our state but in many. as for if the 2% of the boat checks at or close to the boat landings are legal, the law as of now is legal until the courts show otherwise. it is the leglislature who drew up this law and they have given the DNR the authority to enforce it. good luck.

These road side checks as described in the DNR article do seem to be unconstitutional. There has to be a better way to address the issue of invasive species. I will contact my State Rep.

I agree with Jdjulik and Hockey guy. I have no problem with searches at the landing. In my opinion, this would be the best place to educate people as well, not on the side of a busy road.

Does anyone know if the DNR release the amount of tickets cited for invasives from these roadside checks? It would be interesting to see the success rate from roadside searches.

i have been told that these stops will not be on busy roads. they will be at or close to boat landings. this program has not started yet and will start soon after ice out. so there are no statistics at this time. i'm sure compliance rates will be published. good luck.

I know everyone has their own opinion on this but until they make it a law that says I have to stop (which i won't anyway) I will be driving by shaking my head watching are tax dollars being wasted. They should of spent the time and money alot sooner than this, then we would not have this problem in the first place. Just my 2 cents and I do look my boat over completly every time I leave the lake.

The trouble is the way to stop exotics from spreading by angler peer pressure. I have seen time and time again a angler will fish a lake for 8 hours and than come to the landing and complain he has no time and is to busy to clean his boat. He is in a hurry. My opinion is people like that really don't care about the resource.Were at a time with increasing exotics and increased boat traffic,if you want a quality resource I think you can sacrifice a second of your time. Maybe at a landing you could help a elderly gentle and say oh you forgot a aquatic plant,I will get it it for you.

Some people don't care,because well I am never coming back to this particular lake again anyhow. We have a attitude problem.

I know everyone has their own opinion on this but until they make it a law that says I have to stop (which i won't anyway) I will be driving by shaking my head watching are tax dollars being wasted. They should of spent the time and money alot sooner than this, then we would not have this problem in the first place. Just my 2 cents and I do look my boat over completly every time I leave the lake.

Well, well it's nice to know you are so much better then everyone else. You are right, the law needs to be specifically named for you for it to really matter. Hopefully we never meet. I would be humbled to be in the presence of the President of the "me, me, me club. smirk

It seem like Hockey Guy completely disregards the science and research that has gone into a decision to do these inspections. The only thing the DNR is going to do is check for weeds and other causes of invasives. As a sportsman and a frequent user and consumer of the fishing resources I'm willing to do my part to protect a way of life that I love. The DNR is not going to confiscate my rig or take me to jail. The worst that can happen is that I get delayed for a few minutes. To me it's no big deal.

"A new state law gives DNR authority to operate check stations that require motorists transporting boats, trailers and other marine equipment to be inspected for aquatic invasive species."

Looks like it is a law.............and that you are required to stop. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

it is a law and it will be enforced. i dont know why anyone would not stop at a checkpoint. i think failure to stop carries a nice fine as well. the chance of someone getting stopped at these checkpoints are slim with only 2% of the whole program are these stops. the place to complain is to the politicians who write up the laws if someone has a proplem with this. good luck.

Well it seems that there will be probable cause for stopping boaters and fishermen as it reads in the paper this morning. You will be required to take and pass an online test on transporting and identifying invasives. Upon passing you will be issued a trailer sticker. Any one who is towing a boat will be required to have this sticker on their boat and failure to do so will constitute a stop and probable cause to search your boat and trailer.Plus fines will double from what is stated now. Won't come into effect till 2015. Enjoy!

DNR is writing up the laws, politicians will be enacting them so write both.

Lets spend some more money staffing these check points, handing out ridiculously overpriced fines, and [PoorWordUsage] fishermen and boaters off. In my opinion it will not stop anything, and will cost much more that its worth. I do like the idea of the wash stations that I saw on the news, but that can't really be cost effective? Is there also some legislation coming down the pipe for stopping ducks and geese as they go from lake to lake also? If you are going to come up with an idea, at least use some common sense.

i dont like the road side stops, and also think it's a waste of time. it should only be at boat landings period. i let my rep and senator know. there is not one person that would say any of this is going to stop anything. there is research going on. in the mean time the only thing we can do is to control the spread until better ways of stopping or controlling is found. in the mean time it is what it is and as for me i will voice my opinion to my reps and follow the law in the meantime. we are "controlling" the sea lamprey quite well right now and while not eliminating them i dont hear anyone complaining about this method of control. good luck.