• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where to go if I have most of a day. (within an hour of St. paul)

LittleLloyd

I've got the "OK" to take off one day midweek and do some fishing. I'm like to stay within an hours drive of St. Paul and ideally catch some panfish or walleye. I was thinking Bald Eagle or even the St. Croix off Bayport, as those conversations on this site have piqued my interest. Any suggestions?

Second part, I am debating either getting going very early and catching the first light bite, or leaving after lunch and staying out late. Any tips there?

Thanks in advance. smile

I'd probably head up toward Bald Eagle. There are a lot of lakes around there that you can also hit (White Bear Lake, Forest Lake, Big Marine, Chisago, etc...)

Skip White Bear, Big Marine. White Bear has been in decline the past few years and every time I've been to Big Marine it's been a total zoo.

Forest has a decent population of walleyes and enough structure to be able to find your own spots.

Tonka can be daunting.

I'd go to tonka and go after lunch and stay late....from what it sounds like the bite isn't picking up until after dark

I was on Big Marine on Saturday from 9am-5pm. I fished the main lake between the Vets camp and the small island. I was with a group of 4 other guys and if you counted us there was a still under 20 people out there. Most of them were in groups of 2-3 so there were maybe 5-10 portables out there and that was it. Looked like more guys set up well to our north but they were maybe a mile away so I didn't count them.

Yeah, I think I am a bit done with the zoo that is White Bear. I went to Bald Eagle this Sunday and was pleased, we got skunked this summer in the canoe, it was nice to have a couple things nibbling.

I have to admit that I am overwhelmed with 'Tonka. I would note even know where to start. Hit Grey's bay this summer in the canoe and found one nice northern, but otherwise pretty quiet. Where would a guy with a hand auger (not going to perforate an acre) start?

Big Marine and Forest Lake look interesting. Those also are larger bodies of water, any suggestions on where to start?

Loving the options. And it sounds like afternoon into the night is the better option. smile

Tonka would be my choice as well. The bite is at/after dark (10'-18') with deep water nearby.

good luck

park at the beach on wayzata bay and go straight south....look at a depth chart and you should be able to find a spot....or on grays park at the lot off 101 and just go straight out from the access....again look at a depth chart....there are nordskies all over grays if you find a weed edge...same with wayzata.....plus if youd like you can hammer the sunnies once you get on em on grays...may have to pick through em but it's fun