• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hot Lure

michael021

going up to Red this weekend, I was wondering what the hot lure and color are up there right now. Any info would be appreciated. Fish on !

Lindy Rattlin Flyers have been working very well...anything with a rallte and making bottom contact seems to be doing pretty good. Red/glow is always good, but we've done well on a few different colors. Slick jigs have had thier moments too, especially when the fish have been neutral/negative as they were on the weekend.

Always the go to for me are the Red Rattlin Flyer, Small Glow Red Demon Jigging Spoon, or Purple Slick Jigs.

Always try bigger sizes than scale down smaller if need be.

was also having good luck on anything gold and shiny - especially for the perch too. Otherwise like other posters said, rattlin flyers - red/gold.

Got outfished yesterday like 5 to 1. My buddy had a 1/4oz northland forage minnow in the glow rainbow. I was fishing the rattlin flyer in red and purple. Even tried the slick jig to no avail. A couple years ago I had another buddie hand line with the same color forage minnow and flat outfished two of us with various noisier spoons. Seen a red hook deadstick do the same when things are slow. It all depends. Bring all you can and adjust as needed.

Yup, just cause a lures been good doesn't mean it'll be the ticket every day. We got several fish last time on a couple oddball jigs when the flyer/slick jig combo wasn't producing.

Laportian,

Totally agree, the answer to this question changes daily and when I try to answer it most guys think I must be selling tackle.

In two days my brother got 43 walleyes on a 1/4 perch rattlin flyer, I threw the kitchen sink at them and caught 11. It was rediculous how that one bait was on fire, and I was just a few feet from him. I wish I would have had one!

Portavilla- I know I love the Lindy's and often feel I should be getting free tackle from them for all the promotion I do for them! You should see me at tackle stores, make an azz of myself touting this one or that one!

But anyway another thing to keep in mind when you do have the hot lure of the day is to re tie that sucker after every two or three fish if it is your only one. Happened to me more than once where I was catching in a slow period and talking trash about my skills and I'd lose the hot lure on the next bite.

Jeff13: Were you mean to your brother when you guys were growing up? Must have been something he was getting even for by not sharing that Lindy Flyer.....LOL shocked

Laportian,

That is good advice and don't feel alone on the re-tie. I lose most of mine to big eyed kids and every year I take the box down to Gander and re-stock. My kid just reminded me don't forget there are two of us, as I have cut it pretty short on a few of them.

Bturck,

He offered me the bait numerous times but for two days I was stubborn and wanted to prove to myself it could not be that big of a deal. Looking back now I should have taken him up on the offer, it was fum though to see him catch fish. His first time ice fishing in 15 years, since he was 15 years old. Total rookie domination, he was spoiled he had a blast.

Sounds like it was a good trip for him. Its fun to just sit back and watch someone else having a good time, especially when they are a newbie, or haven't been able to participate in the sport for awhile.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.