• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snowmobile Goes In- BE CAREFUL!

hugonian1

Saw this on the Hunters Point site today:

"Someone went out of a public access south of Hunters Point and went in with a snowmobile. The gentlemen is okay and the snowmobile had been recovered. It is very important that you always check in with the resorts before you venture out."

This year more than ever we all need to use and listen to what the resorts have to say. It is 10 bucks well spent.

There is plenty of fishable ice. Just need to use caution and common sense.

Yeah, please be careful, a lot of unknown out there. Not much to base ice behavior with the weather on a year like this. It almost feels like mid march but without the 30 inch base to work down. I had my small house out about a 3/4 of a mile in deeper water, was driving the car there, but just moved it back in shallow.....just does not feel right out there. Good thing is that we are finally going to get some cold weather and will help out a lot, but there will still be a lot of areas that will be dicey for the rest of the year. Tested and staked resort roads are a must this year and PLEASE DRIVE SLOW; already have seen people driving way to fast for the current conditions.......

if you just gotta go there now, GO AM PHIB EE OUS

if your gonna go out doing your own scouting with these ice conditions, amphibious is THE way to go

i have a shack out of macs and was told half tons only. when i got to the shack my neighbors both had 3/4 tons out there. then Monday morning after waking up i went outside to make some yellow snow and heard a diesel coming down the road looked back and it was a 1 ton dualie. i dont know if these people think they are above the rules but they are not only putting themselves a risk but everyone around them.

iceman

Yeah, I'm curious to see what happens after this little cold snap we've gotten. I've already heard from guys who are all excited to get the wheelers out on the northwest side. Seems like asking for trouble if you ask me.

Another crack opened up toward the gravel, it was closed yesterday and open today, advise those you talk to go through the resorts and check conditions first, it is changing every day.

I listened to the resorts yesterday. Ended up fishing for five hours 3pm to 8 pm seeing only 3 fish on the flasher. I guess if your scared enough you'll do something not quite as dumb as falling through the ice. Oh well, I guess $60 isn't a whole lot to pay for a skunk. This wasn't Hunters as they told me their access is closed.

Nothing like a good old fashioned skunking to get your blood up. It sucks but we all get that once in awhile. When it happens, I cant seem to blame anyone but myself. (Thats what really sucks.. smile

Buddy and I drove up a couple weeks ago and were planning on happily paying $10 at hunter winfields for that ice knowledge/safety. We were very disappointed to find a post it note on the door saying dont ring the doorbell until 8 or 830 am when we arrived at 645-7am so we reluctantly went out of the state park instead.

Anybody know if other resorts are open earlier for daily access?? I prefer getting out there and set up before sunrise.

Sorry about that Flag. We have 2 little kids that I have to get off to day care. We have hired someone now to man the office. We are there at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday and someone is there at 8:00 AM on the weekdays. We also have a drop box if you ever come earlier and nobody is here. We have a road staked out 2 miles from the resort and the ice is safe to there. If you don't have change for the road pass, just drop a note in the drop box and catch us on your way out.

And, you can also call us the night before you head up to check the road conditions. We will let you know the conditions at that time as well.

Thanks!

Thanks, would have called ahead but it was a spur of the moment trip. Good to know about the road being staked out. Assuming you would block off the road in the event the ice became sketchy?

Unrelated, I've hired Mike in the summer a couple years ago and agree with other posts I've seen on here that he's the best on the lake.

Continued safety and luck to all..