• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake diversity

Random guy

Ya just never know what is going to show up when fishing on Upper Red Lake. Even with the slower fishing the last few days it remains interesting.

Yesterdays scouting brought a limit of eyes, a crappie, few smaller perch, large pike and even a golden eye.

full-10775-16064-img_multi.jpg

A few days before that was a 27” eye. Wasn’t really ready for that fish as all I had was a foggy camera with a dying battery. Would have liked to let the camera clear up but didn’t want that fish out of the water any longer then it took for a quick snapshot and hook removal.

full-10775-16065-img_1515.jpg

Well now that is a record, five minutes to get a email accusing me of posting a picture from early ice.

Lets take a closer look at the hole.

full-10775-16066-img_1520.jpg

Yes it was yesterday, one of five spots I tried. Although I often wait three or four days to post as if they where next day I bet where I was parked the night before would be a bit crowded.

Where's the photo of the monster sheepy smile

I have only seen one caught through the ice ever on Upper Red and that was five or six years ago.

Today was a pike, perch, crappie, wallleye, golden eye and we even had a pout in our possesion but Kelly ate it. crazy

Actaully this fall several where caught along the north shore with leeches under bobbers. As for this winter nobody really has gone after them as walleye are on the brain.

Thats a great eye for up there! Looks real healthy too! Caught a golden eye this weekend also out in 16'

Nice eye Johnny!,looks like some bigger eyes are being caught this winter,Which i suspected would happen this yr. Just a matter of time i suppose, before we start seeing pics of a 30 or 31 in I bet.

Actaully this fall several where caught along the north shore with leeches under bobbers. As for this winter nobody really has gone after them as walleye are on the brain.

Jonny,

If a guy were to come up there and target some Whities could you point them in a general direction that a person could be successful? I've seen some awful nice Whitefish come off of Red, wouldn't mind tangling with a few of them!

Mike

I think you target them late season just under the ice around rock bottom. I also would enjoy learning how to track them down and catch them.

Somebody figures it out, I'm all ears grin

We fished Tullibees on Leech a few years ago, in March over mud in about 42 FOW, had a great time doing that, can't imagine Whities would be much different.

I have a trip lined up in March to head off from the NW Angle towards Kenora for Whitefish but the way Lake of the Woods is behaving this year, I'm not too sure that's going to happen....... that's 2 out of the last 3 years of planning this trip that mother nature has thrown a monkey wrench in those plans but I haven't given up on this year yet.

Any info on targeting them on Red would be great!

Mike

I'll check with my mentor cusin pete.he may be able to give me a tip or two finding them. I still think you target them late ice.just under the ice witha very small jig and waxie?

Never fished them on Red but usually they are in deep water 30 to 40' suspended would think Upper would be to shallow to be a great place for them, but somebody probably knows better.

You find whitefish in from the last sandbar in 3-5 feet of water on the northern and eastern shores during early ice. They run the trough between the last sandbar and the second along with some appearances over scattered rock piles along the north shore over the fertile bottoms where mud meets rock.

Red lake was once a strong whitefish fishery that suffered a devastating blow a few years back with scorching temps that basically cooked the whitefish and eelpout populations to death. We are now seeing the recovery from that with multiple eelpout catches with reports of whitefish coming in all last summer and into this ice season.

Last time I was on URL ,I had a heavy fish on, I was SURE it was going to be a really nice throwback eye......nope, it was a famous SHEEPHEAD(1 1/2- 2 #). Sorry I won't divulge where it was caught.....too many people would storm that spot!!!! laugh

We had a sheep head caught in a rental this weekend. The gal who caught it refused to be pictured with a sheep head so back down the hole it went, still remaining a undocumented winter legend.

Most smoke them but I have had whitefish and goldeneye deep fried and baked and it was pretty good. Of course I was not doing the cooking and things always tend to taste better if I don't screw it up. laugh

Thanks for the info. I'm a big fan of baked or fried whitefish, so if I ever get a golden, I'll have to bake one filet and fry the other side. Again, thank you!