Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

ice augers

can somebody tell me about manual ice augers?
i am not a fisherman, but my teenage son wants an auger, and most augers I have seen are spiral, but his grandfather (200 miles away) has offered a spoon type auger. how do these spoon types work? are they comparable to a normal spiral auger? thanks

Spoons are a bugger, hard to maintain too. I would use a spud bar and chop before I use one again, I really hated them things.

You can get a very good hand auger for $60 or less. I would recommend them over a spoon, in my experience.

There is nothing wrong with starting a young ice angler out on a good spud bar either. The Jiffy bar is a very good one. The design is efficient and far less work them some I have used in the past.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Fishbitten

If you want the child to enjoy the experience go with the auger. They are a little bit more spendy but he/she will have fun and keep fishing rather than throw the spoon in a corner. Teach a person to fish they eat for life. I applaude you for supporting your son's wholesome hobbies

Uncle Grump

Yettidad

Years ago - eons ago, before there were spiral or screw augers as we have today, the spoon augers existed. And they worked, still have one in my garage. When I got back in to ice fishing about 5 years ago after a long absence, I got it out and used it.

But - the edge on them critters is critial, they can look sharp, feel sharp, but not cut worth a darn - like mine does now. The first season (after the absence), I had it sharpened, it cut like a dream. Second season - had it back to the same gent for sharpening, and it don't cut any more.

Do as the others suggested - go w/ a chisel or spiral auger - the blue "Mora" augers are about $30.

UG

deadeye

Try going to a spoting goods store that deals with used equipment, you can pick up an used mora auger for $10-$15. You might find one even cheaper than that! Put some new blades on it and you will be set! ><>
deadeye