• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Sturgeon Excursion

Capt. Quicksteel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Matt C

• Capt. Quicksteel

• Big Country

well everyone in my group bailed.... will that stop me from coming up? heck no ill be at wigwam wed-sunday! see ya all up there

iceman

Surface Tension and myself are staying at Schusters. We will be monitoring the marine radio throughout the trip. Give us a shout if your on. Iceman 16, great to hear you're stepping up. Hope to see you on the water! BC

Fished till late last night got a few nice ones, this morning was slow up river.

Spotty reports but a few nice fish being caught.

Hittin it hard tonight....

I'll be the solo angler in a red ranger 617. Can't wait to get up there. Heading to neater falls from Sunday to Wednesday and then rainy river for monster sturgeon. Can't wait!

Iceman

If there is anyone looking to go up but doesn't have a boat. Shoot me a email. I'll be up at the wigwam on Wednesday afternoon. Could always use a net man! Ha ha ha email me we can figure it out. I'll be coming from neater falls so we wouldn't be able to car pool.

Iceman

We just got back last night. Great fishing. We caught 11 fish. One was 59 inches, 3 in 50's and the rest between 45-48 inches with a couple of little ones. All in the river. Best part was when we went up river we caught 3 of the fattest yellow bullheads I've ever seen! We almost came looking for DTRO to see if he needed flathead bait! Another great trip. Barbelboy will post pictures this week.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nice fish guys!

Got back Mon night and haven't gotten the gear or photos unloaded yet.

There would be four of us, BC and our sons Nate and Frank Jr.

We left Twig,Mn at 1:30AM Fri and got to Shusters around 7:AM.

I think we were the only ones there all weekend. Sort of missed the rest of the gang and what is the SE but we did meet up with Darren and John on the river.

Fished Fri-Monday and boated 38 sturgeon. Biggest was 61.5"

Both boys set a new personal best on this Sturgeon Excursion.

Got the boat in the water ran and out to 4 Mile. It was too windy to fish effectively so bumped around in the river till the evening. Nothing boated all day long.

Fished 4 Mile Fri night with the company of Darren and John after the winds died and boated 7 sturgeon there.

full-831-19861-frank2012.jpg

Woke up Sat to brisk Easterly wind and light rain, thankfully we had a cover to get under. Using the drift sock out the stern enabled us to be lined up with the current as we're set up to fish out the back of the boat. Fished 4 mile again till noon, did not boat anything there but see a few fished being fought and netted.

Headed to the river to get out of the wind and more fishable conditions.

That was a good move and by days end we landed 15 sturgeon. Except for the occasional passing boat were all alone there.

Sunday was bluebird skies and light wind. We went back to the solitude of where we fished the river on Sat. If not for the break for a burger at Sportsmans we might have done better then the 13 Sturgeon boated by sunset. It was a very nice day and the burgers were great too.

Mon the river was virtually a ghost town. After moving out of our cabin at Shusters we put in a few hours in and landed 3 sturgeon, one being 61.5" in flat calm conditions. Wished we could have stayed longer but it was time to end the trip.

We'll be back next year for sure!

full-831-19862-sturgeonexcursion2012125.

We caught such a mixed bag this year DTro. I really don't know what to make of it. Lot's of babies mixed in with the monsters. Definitely different year classes. The Rainy's sturgeon population look's awesome for all future outings. I'd say our boy's are certainly hooked for life. Great to see you and John again. Although I think you two pulled the pin a little early. The weather turned out fabulous with no boats in sight. BC

I'd say this was certainly our best year for bigger fish. 12 of 17 were over 50" with 2 over 60". In years past we've had better numbers but lots of 40" fish. Got a text today with a 72 1/2"!!!!

• 10 months later...

Awesome!!

Anyone else notice the average fish size getting bigger and bigger each year? wink

Absolutely. Every year just keeps getting better and better. I wasn't sure if we would top for 2011 trip last year but we crushed it with 38 fish over 50" and 6 over 60"