• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2012 Sturgeon Excursion

Capt. Quicksteel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Matt C

• Capt. Quicksteel

• Big Country

Geez, I guess I might have to make the trip after all since I'm involved in some sort of redneck math equation. grin

Unfortunately it's going to be a last minute decision this year, but hopefully I can make it up.

Me and a couple friends are planning on coming up there for the first time this year. Any tips or friendly pointers on what to use or where to go. I have always wanted to catch on and I ended up buying a new boat this year so we are going to give it a try.

trout26, check out the rainy river forum. more than enough info there for ya!

Me and a couple friends are planning on coming up there for the first time this year. Any tips or friendly pointers on what to use or where to go. I have always wanted to catch on and I ended up buying a new boat this year so we are going to give it a try.

If anyone is going for the first time, Chris Hanson is giving a presentation about sturgeon fishing at Thorne Bros tonight at 7 p.m. If you live too far away and can't make it, the presentations are recorded and put up on vimeo. I will try to provide a link as it becomes available.

Kirk

Many of the shops and resorts have deals for crawlers for the sturgeon fisherman.

The last few years, I have called in advance to the resort I was staying at and they kept a flat for us.

I forget the one bait shop right up in that area but I believe he also had flats of crawlers for a pretty good price.

I remember the first year you went up with Eric and used my rods, they were darn tired from all the big fish you guys boated.

Good luck this year.

If anyone is going for the first time, Chris Hanson is giving a presentation about sturgeon fishing at Thorne Bros tonight at 7 p.m. If you live too far away and can't make it, the presentations are recorded and put up on vimeo. I will try to provide a link as it becomes available.

Being the shameless self-promoting ninja that I am wink ... here is the link:

Sturgeon Fishing Seminar

Dtro, Are you arranging any night crawler deals this year for HSO members?

I think we got them at Adrians last year. I haven't looked into it at all this year.

Yes. Adrians had a deal on flats of crawlers last year.

Dtro, if ya don't mind, i'd be happy to take the lead and call the bait shops up there to secure a deal for HSO members.

I was planning on buying a flat before i headed up there, so don't worry about me...unless the deal is really good.

Nephew called and wanted to go up in 2 weeks for eyes and sturgeon so it looks like I will be going sooner than the 1st of May.

Went outside this am after a little rain and picked up 25 dozen crawlers. They are out in force for anyone wanting to save a few bucks and pick them themselves.

free bait is good, cuts down on the cost for gas with no bait fee.

I was planning on buying a flat before i headed up there, so don't worry about me...unless the deal is really good.

About the same price. And less chance to dry up n die.

I called a few places today, and am waiting to hear back from the 'owners' on HSO pricing.

After being on the 'sippi in Red Wing this past weekend, seeing a few guys catch some dink Sturgeon, my blood is PUMPIN for some LOW/RR Sumo Sturgeon. :)))

I just got done picking crawlers again and now I have 36 dozen. Back needs a rest and back out there as the street is full and the driveway.

Loads of crawlers out tonight with this rain.

Only 8 days and I leave for 4-5 days of glourous eye and sturg fishing. I am sure it will be good yet then.

We will be staying at the Falls Motel in IF Ed. I wanted to fish some eyes and sturg and then also hit Rainy Lake for some sumo pike action. Talked to Woody and he said they are in the shallow bays. Going to throw cranks in hopes of a few 20 pounders for at least one warm afternoon.

I'm not going to make the trip this year however on a bright note my friend and uncle where up last weekend and boated 11 between Sat and Sun biggest was 54 inches but they had a blast. I also know a few that have been their hammering the eyes so I hope everyone has a great and fun trip.

Good Times! Biggest for the weekend between our two boats was 64". We also caught a 63, 62, 61, and easily 10 in the 50's. Fishing was good on Friday, but terrible Saturday.

53"

full-26433-19340-img_4074.jpg

64"

full-26433-19341-img_4098.jpg

61"

full-26433-19342-img_4109.jpg

62"

full-26433-19343-img_4068.jpg

i am leaving sun. might be up there sun-sun. gonna bring the passport and might head to nestor falls for some lakers. cant wait.

iceman

So it's the week prior to the Excursion. Been pretty quiet on the postings as of late. Thought it would be time for a roll call of all who plan on being there. Myself and Surface Tension will be there Friday through Monday with our two sons. Staying at Schusters the whole time. 18 foot light grey Trophy 180 Alumacraft with the F/M logo shoutin' out at ya on both sides. We will be focused on four mile and in front of the resorts. Give us a holler if ya see us on the water. BC

Looks like DTRO and Wastewater are making a last minute decision to be up there Thursday through Sunday.

VHF will be on.

Don't know where we will be fishing but staying at Wigwam.

NICE! Looking forward to seeing you two. My son hopes to see you in your helmet again this year. He always loves the sight of that smile We will be sure to keep an eye out for ya. Bringing the river boat this year? BC