• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heater issue....

jegerjack

Question

Has this happed to anyone else? I have standard 15,000 BTU heater (the kind you can cook soup on). Two weekends ago,after 30 mins of use, it started to shoot flames! Right before it happened it was running pretty high, even though the setting was on low. Now I argued with my friend on where the flames came from. I thought they came from where the tank met the heater my friend thought they came from where air and the gas mix. Has this happened to anyone else if so do you know what the problem was? I twisted a couple screws and we restarted it, it has worked fine since. Thanks, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

11 answers to this question

It has happened to me before with my heater and buddies. Scares the crap outta a guy. I always thought it may be from lack of air and then then a sudden influx causing the uproar.

That sounds like it could be the problem, the why the heater was acting prior to the flame sounded like it was struggling for air, a large pop sounded right when the flame occurred. Thanks, JegerJack.

"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag"? I love it!!! The scene where the Hanson brothers take the ice for the first time is probably the funniest two minutes in any movie, ever!!!
"Puttin on the foil"

My friend got burned very badly because of a bad connection (reverse threads and impaired judgement)-I think he loosed when he should have tightened-anyway the gas was ignited at top of the propane tank and it shot flames all over-be careful, have a crescent wrench handy and make sure your connections are tight.
redhooks

One of my fav movies, and shoot, I will need to be carefull. thanks for the imput and info guys..... JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

heh, heh, I love that movie too

whats the name of it again, Slapshot?
or something like that?

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 01-13-2003).]

I think aqua-eye is right, if your tank is overfilled the regulator will spit out liquid instead of gas, hard on the regulator and a little spooky too.

Bowhunter-In my case it was not "a little" spooky. More like "a LOT" spooky!! wink.gif I did not like it at all.-Troy

ps-At least the girl at the station gave me my moneys worth eh?

The problem sounds similar to something that happens if your propane tank is over-filled. I'm not sure but the excess pressure in the tank forces through to the burner. I had six inch flames comeing off a sunflower heater and could not figure out why while it was happening.Just a thought-TROY