• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4 holes in otter resort

Question

I am looking at buying the Otter Resort. Does any one who owns of these fish 4 holes or does that get a lttle tight, with heater and vex? I read the post on the Lodge it sounds like 2 holes and one for the vex is the most pratical way to go. Just wondering if the extra 10" in the resort gives a guy enough room for 4 holes. I usually fish with a buddy so that is why I ask. Or if I am that concerned about having 2 holes per guy should I look at one of Canvas Crafts's double wides? Has any one tried those out? Are the as easy to move as regular flip style house?

11 answers to this question

I have a fishtrap III and I've always fished four holes in it if there's two of us. Usually not a problem with panfish as long as you bring them up quick, but when a northern comes by it's easy for them to wrap up all the lines in the house. Then again, I've seen northerns wrap up the lines in fishhouses alot bigger than mine.

I have the otter lodge and fish 4 holes easily. I almost never get the lines messed up and I still have plenty of room for the LX3, lantern, heater and gear. I even sometime pop a 5 hole for the locator and aqua vu camera.
I either do a all the holes in one straight line or a modified "W" pattern which puts my outer hole a little farther away form my inner holes but usually that is my dead stick hole.

Swill

the more I think about the more I think I would like a sled that will fit in the back of a short box truck. The resort will stick out the back, but the lodge will fit. So another questions for you gusy with the lodge. can you fit all yourstuff in the lodge sled. I am talking the usual stuff. Poles, auger, vex, heater, minnow bucket, and beer. Also do you guys like the bench seat or the chairs, or do you have another suggestion to sit and still be comfortable? Has anyone made a homemade seat that works well, or is just as easy to buy one? I know most of this is personal prefernce, but I would still like a couple of ideas?

------------------
Thanks Scott

i have a otter resort . have put 6 holes 4 to fish, 1 for vexlar and one for the camera. still room to get in and out the door

I have a trap III and 4 holes is not a problem. I put 3 across the fron and 1 in the center next to the tub. A guy could fit more in if he needed them. for cameras and vexalars.

Hi.

We have the Otter Lodge and can fit a bunch of stuff in the sled. We usually carry along the vex, a bucket with poles, a bucket for tip-ups, a couple of minnow buckets, a couple of fold up chairs, a bag full of goodies, a 20lb propane cylinder along with the Mr.Heater/Cooker, and the auger usually sits on top of all that. We use those chairs that collapse down really small but we use the smaller one like a child would sit on, not the real tiny ones but in between. So as you can see we have no problems hauling everything we need inside of the sled. Good luck!

-------------

Fishn'Lady

phscotty...I have the lodge and I bring a ton of gear. Usually we have 3 5 gallon buckets, Marcum LX-3, Aqua vu, minnow bucket, strikemaster auger, 20lb propane with 8ft hose connected to a mr. heater/cooker and misc other crap like gear bags with gps units and digital cameral etc. I don't have to worry about packing it a certain way it pretty much all fits.

For seats I went to Wallmart in White Bear Lake and they have the padded seats that fit in the 5 gallon buckets. they are made from HT and run about 10 bucks each. They work great.

As you can see we have more stuff in there then I want, but hey it all fits wink.gif
Swill

2years ago I bought the lodge(mag.)Last year I bought the cabin(med)for my 12yr old son.We put the cabin inside the lodge and load the heck out of it,2buddy heaters,2-10lb propanetanks,4-folding chairs,2-5gal buckets,2-bait coolers,3-lanterns in cases,2-tackel boxes,2-locaters,3-4 rod cases,1-bev.&food soft side cooler,then we put the mag.cover over everything.works great.And the reason I bought the cabin was,I can't stand the snot nosed brat dancing in front of me saying "I out fished dad"I out fished dad"

I have a Resort and you will have plenty of room for four holes. I bought the Resort for the headroom and extra space. If you ever go fishing by yourself, this house can be cumbersome due to the weight (95lbs sled & house). When there's enough ice, I pull it with an ATV. When I go by myself, I use the Frabill Ultra-Lite.

We had three guys fishing and had room for the heater and vex. Heater in one corner, vex in the middle by the sled and the third guy sat in front of the door with his hole in the opposite corner of the heater.

If you only fish with one other person, occasionaly by yourself and early ice, I'd go with the Lodge simply for the weight savings.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by PairOfChoppers (edited 01-08-2003).]

I fish from the Otter Cabin (medium sled) I drill four holes and fish two guys and it works okay, sure it would be nice to have a little extra room but I hand pull my sled and wanted to keep the weight down otherwise I would have gone with the resort or the lodge.

The medium sled will fit my Jiffy 3hp 10" auger (with extension), 20lb propane and Mr.Heater, Frabill aqua life bucket (5gal), another 5 gal bucket for extras and fish, rod case, tipup case, gas tank for auger, thermos, lantern case, Vexilar, rope, scoop. It took a little fudging but now that I have the order down as to where everything goes it all fits nicely. I would also HIGHLY reccomend buying the hy-fax white plastic runners for the bottom of the sled and also the black cover that goes over the whole setup.

morriscode