• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What have you been tying lately?

ted4887

Since this section of the board hasn't seen much action lately, I decided it was time for a new thread. Hopefully it will liven things up a bit. Let's see what you've been up to

I've been going nymph and streamer crazy the last few weeks, but have mixed in a few of everything. Since I'm pretty new to tying, please don't hesitate to critique.

BHFB Hares Ear

BeadHeadHaresEar-1.jpg

Pink Squirrel

PinkSquirrel.jpg

Wingless Adams

WinglessAdams.jpg

Olive Bugger

OliveWoolyBugger.jpg

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ted4887

• itchmesir

• Slabasaurus

• OnAFly

Nice ties. I haven't tied in a couple months. Last flies I cranked out were some Grape Slushies and midges for a trip I thought I was taking to MT in November. It turned out I had to travel for work instead. frown

Lately, my vice has been used for applying hard-as-hull to some ice fishing jigs in an effort to get the paint to stick longer.

Haven't tied any this winter.. gotta see what I get for x-mas before deciding on what to use my limited materials on.

Thanks guys. Had a short day of work, and the rain ruined my Iowa fishing plans, so I started tying midges today. Working on some random midge emerger patterns. Nothing complicated, but I feel like I may be cross-eyed now after tying up about 9 of them. I'm running out of sz 20 and 22 scud hooks so I'll probably avoid midges until the new shipment arrives.

midgeemerger.jpg

I just tied up a bunch of Polly Rosborough's Casual Dress. Its been working well for me lately. Im not really sure why, its kinda big for this time of year. The brookies seem to love it though.

That's an interesting fly. I just watched a Youtube video on it, and you're right... seems pretty large for this time of year. I haven't caught any Iowa brookies in about two months now. Maybe this weekend I'll go find some brookie water and give this fly a try.

So far the only theory I have as to why they eat that thing is that Iowan trout might be especially stupid. But in any case, I've had good luck with it in size 10 and 6. Im heading down to Iowa tommorow for some further testing. hit me up if your intrested in meeting up or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a fly tying kit finally.. bought one with a giftcard from my b-day... been tying up a ton of different midge patterns... nothing in particular.. mostly doing my own thing... patterns will get a little more wild as i just dropped about a bill on tying materials

If i can work my magic with my handlens and cellphone.. i'll take some pictures.. as my camera took a [PoorWordUsage] a month back

Haha very nice! Don't forget about the dollar store. I stopped in a few weeks ago and scored some tinsel that I used to make this fly

ChansChromie2.jpg

JoAnnes fabric is a great place for fly tying material. You can get foam block letters for a buck a piece, that same amount of foam at a shop would be about $6.

Glass beads are cheaper too. ~$4 for a lifetime's worth.

Here are a couple more patterns i've thrown together...

IMAG0165.jpg

Clyde's Ear

IMAG0169.jpg

Got my brassies down....

IMAG0170.jpg

Brassie Variant... need to work on my wing length.. keep on tying them too long

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

I like that clydes ear. Very buggy looking. Anyone tie up any rainbow scuds for out here? They are very popular in MT.

I'll have to get a few pics of the hair jigs I've been tying lately when I figure out what my photo bucket password is.

Nice looking flies. I also dig the Clydes ear. If that thing doesn't catch fish.... nothing will!

I've tied up a few scuds with orange, pink, gray and peacock before, but had limited success. Seems my best scud colors are generally orange, and gray/orange blend.

Word of advice on scuds, they can work well you'll probably get your best results if you fish them around aquatic vegitation as that is where they are naturally found. They probably wont work so hot over a rock/gravel bottom.

So i've been having a hell of a time with wrapping hackle.. it either breaks or doesn't splay out properly.. any tricks to wrapping hackle properly?

If your breaking off alot of hackle and its splaying kinda "clumpy" the first thing that comes to my mind is the quality of the hackle may not be the best. In my experince the way the hackle spreads has alot more to do with the quality of the hackle than with the skill of the tier. However you may be applying a bit too much preassure to the stem that is causing it to break. getting the feel for it does take some practice. What type of fly are you tying when your having these problems? are you palmering it as you would with a wolly bugger or are you doing a collar like you would with a soft hackle?

both... buggers and random nymph collars... it DEFINITELY probably has to do with quality as its some craap that came in my kit that i got from FF.... I got cape and saddle in the mail.. so we'll see if things improve

ok if its that stuff out of the kits I would put money on it being a problem with the hackle itself vs technique. they dont exactly throw the top shelf stuff in with those kits. First fly I tied was a black wooly bugger from one of those kits. to say it looked like [PoorWordUsage] is an understatement

I agree with lc3. The quality of the hackle makes all the difference in the world. I too started with a kit, never could get the hackle that came with it to do what I wanted.

Tonight I was messing around with Dave Whitlocks red squirell Nymph tied a few of these with and whithout beads. Going to give them some good testing this weekend.

dsci0322g.th.jpg

I also realized its time to get a new camera

Weather has been shyte so i figured i'd work on tying up some buggers for my 2wt..

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

and picked up some stretch tubing to tinker around with...

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

Digging the flies guys! I've been slacking lately when it comes to putting in time at the vise. I'm heading to the liquor store to pick up a 6er, and then spend some quality time with my good buddy Renzetti for the evening. Probably tie a few random warm-water patterns, and then a few flies for Sunday/Monday troutin'.

Ic3 - How'd that red squirrel nymph test out last weekend for you?

ich - Where did you get your stretch tubing at? I've been on the lookout for some micro tubing like that for some size 18-22's. Haven't had any luck though.

Digging the flies guys! I've been slacking lately when it comes to putting in time at the vise. I'm heading to the liquor store to pick up a 6er, and then spend some quality time with my good buddy Renzetti for the evening. Probably tie a few random warm-water patterns, and then a few flies for Sunday/Monday troutin'.

Ic3 - How'd that red squirrel nymph test out last weekend for you?

ich - Where did you get your stretch tubing at? I've been on the lookout for some micro tubing like that for some size 18-22's. Haven't had any luck though.

I picked it up at the very confusing splay of fly tying supplies at the GM in Roch.. they really need to organize all that better... they carry Wapsi small and micro on the middle display next to the waders accessories and stuff