• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

? about FL-8SLT

frozen toes

Question

I bought one of these things and put the "S" cable on it. I fish in shallow water at times. My problem is when the cable is on, I have to max the gain out to see anything. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 answers to this question

Well, got that one wrong. blush.gif Thanks for correcting me, guys.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-03-2003).]

ft

When using an S-cable on my Fl-8SLT, that is how it worked. I think the cable reduces the power output, which requires you to turn your gain up to receive the signal. It's a little hard to get used to but it does allow you to see the fish through the weeds. It can be hard to figure out where your lure is at times. If your not fishing the weeds, forget the S-cable--you don't need it.

hawgTime

The S-cable is designed to cut the output of the Fl-8 by about 50%. I found it usefull when fishing in shallow water. If your lure was still red with the gain all the way down to 0, the s-cable allowed you to get a better picture of what was going on. With the s-cable I usually had to turn the gain up to 4 or so to get the nice green line that I like. The cable is a nice option to have for shallow water.

If you are fishing in more than 15 ft of water, take the s-cable off. In water deeper than that you will probably not even see the bottom with the s-cable on.

By the way, the LP mode of the FL-18 does the same thing without needing to add the s-cable.

ScottO

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 01-03-2003).]

Thanks for all the help folks! I was beginning to wonder if something was wrong with the unit, I just bought it. It did show the bottom ok, just the gain thing was what was making me wonder. Thanks again everybody.