• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports by Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson

Yes, it's true... we had weather in the 40s and 50s! Maybe not always the best news for the die hard ice anglers but at least the time spent on the ice the last week or so has been very comfortable! Good news though is that the ice is not going away yet. From what I've seen we still have great ice conditions out there and many more opportunities to get out and ice fish. While some of the snow is melting on top of the ice, the actual ice itself is holding on strong. A few messy areas near some of the accesses and throughout some of the plowed road areas but otherwise it's not horrible. I haven't been all over the Metro but the lakes I've hit on the north side have been consistent. I plan to hit the Chisago area again this weekend in search of some panfish.

I've seen some activity in the shallow water but to be honest the best bite has been in that 18-25 foot range lately. Not sure why exactly but some of my better shallow spots have not been producing but when I move out a little deeper to those areas I'm finding fish. That's been consistent on a few different lakes. Also seems like those fish are more eager to bite too. Just make sure you punch a lot of holes and be willing to move. These fish are not staying put and you catch a couple good fish out of each hole and that's it... even though you still see fish on the Vexilar after you catch a couple good ones I've noticed you need to still move. If you drop a camera down there you will see the pod of inactive fish and then the few that are moving faster... I want those faster fish smile

As far as presentations go, it's been a solid plastics/artificials bite for me. Maki plastics on a tungsten jig head and away we go. I've still been stuck on that Clam Drop Jig and either Spiiki or Draggi Maki plastic. Color options have been all over the place too, I just think you need to get the bait down and in front of the fish's face. Biggest key though is to stay on the move and chase the fish... if you sit in one spot you'll be fishing negative fish more often than not... or at least waiting for more active fish to circle back through. Get out and enjoy the weather and chase the fish down.

Outside of the Metro, I recently spent some time up on Leech Lake and some of the smaller surrounding lakes chasing perch, sunfish and crappies. The bite up there is similar... where the need to constantly move is the name of the game. If you wanted to catch the bigger fish then you needed to continue to drop down new holes and freshen things up. And that went for all the species and lakes we targeted.

Here's a shot of a couple nice slabs Jeff Andersen and I hoisted for the camera...

Matt%20and%20Jeff%20Crappies%20hso.jpg

Both of those fish came on Clam Drop Jigs and Maki plastics. Only way we caught these better fish was to move until we marked fish and continually dropping down new holes to pull the bigger ones out of the group. Gotta love late ice crappie fishing!

Looking at the forecast we're going to have a lot more comfortable weather coming our way. Not too warm either, but warm enough to run around outside of the Fish Trap and chase down fish. I like seeing 20s and 30s for highs, because that means it won't be a soupy mess out there but you can still be effective. My advice... get out a chase down some fish this weekend! Enjoy yourselves and be safe out there!

Dead on with having to move a lot. I literally chased fish around on Friday. Pick one out of a hole, then the fish move. Spend the next couple minutes moving around the grouping of holes trying to figure out where they shifted to. I did learn that having a couple rods was key as they seemed to catch on to my one jig pretty quickly. The fish that were active were very active. The fish that weren't were very frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...

For much of the ice belt, open water is right around the corner, but we can take a little piece of ice fishing with us! Here's an article on the "little" things that make the biggest difference come open water season!

Go Small or Go Home - CLICK HERE

Who's ready for some springtime open water panfish?!

Enjoy! smile

• 3 weeks later...

MJbassWL-344x463.jpg

We make mistakes as anglers, and oftentimes it’s those mistakes that make us better. We try certain tactics, tie on certain baits, fish certain spots, and sometimes no matter what you do things don’t seem to go your way. Don’t get discouraged. Bass fishing can be a game of “walking the tightrope,” where sometimes you have no choice but to focus to stay on path. Understanding that there are situations where you need to buckle down and take things slow in order to achieve a result can be the difference between falling off the rope and making it to your goal. So slow down, take a deep breath, and focus on the little things produce that big outcome...

Read the entire article... Bass On a Tightrope - CLICK HERE

Enjoy! smile

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of garage talk to help with some early season strategies. I meant to post this last week in preparation for the opener but spaced out...

Fishing Opener Success - CLICK HERE

In this episode we discuss a few of the strategies and tactics

to have a successful fishing opener and start to the season! May 2014.

Enjoy! smile

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully everyone had a safe and fun Memorial weekend! Finally the weather cooperated for us in the Twin Cites... seems like every Memorial weekend we have rain and cold... tough to be 70s and 80s with sun! I hope you had a chance to enjoy it!

I spent some time on the water with the family as well as hit the MN bass opener on Saturday. The fish were acting "normal" and most fish (bass) were relating to the inside weed lines from what I could tell. We caught a lot of fish in that 3-6 foot range throwing wacky-rigs and swim baits. The new Mister Twister Poc'it Fry has been awesome for me and that's what I've caught most of my fish on the last couple days. Wacky-rigged and casting from distance seems to work the best. The fish are spooky so make sure you stay off the "hot spot" but instead cast over to it.

There were many reasons why this past weekend was so awesome. One, I got my whole family out in the boat, which included my youngest (Brody, 10 months) out for his first time! Two, I got to spend some time fishing with my two oldest (Jack, 6 years and Ben, just turned 3 years) just the three of us for the first time. And three, I caught my personal best bass! Here are some photos from the weekend...

Jack_and_Ben_Fishing_2.jpg

Jack and Ben

Jack_and_Ben_Fishing-364x600.jpg

Jack and Ben with a fish

MJ_big_bass_sm.jpg

My new PB at 7lb 5ozs!

So overall I can't complain about the weekend! Great company, great fishing and great weather! Looking forward to getting the boys out more in the near future as well! Jack had the hot-hand this weekend and out-fished all of us combined... I was definitely a proud dad!!

My next plan of attack is to continue focusing on those inside weed lines and also play with some of the expansive main lake points and flats. I didn't spend much time out in those areas this weekend but I know they are holding fish. Shallow cranks, spinner baits and swim baits are good options for these areas... and if you find pods of fish then slowing down with a wack-rig or jig-worm can definitely pay off. I do know it sure feels good to be targeting bass again!

Best of luck to everyone this week/weekend and be safe out there!

A short video with some tactics to put more bass in the boat using a subtle "do nothing" approach. An easy way to catch fish especially early in the season and when you know you have fish in an area...

Dead Sticking for Bass - CLICK HERE

Enjoy! smile

• 2 weeks later...

Smart_pic.jpg

Technology has come a long way in regards to fishing especially when it comes to the ability to use your smart phone and tablets to help you catch more fish. Here we discuss some new technologies that are easy to use and affordable... and tap right into your smart devices using WiFi technology!

Smart Technology for Fishing - CLICK HERE

Enjoy! smile

• 2 weeks later...

MJ_big_bass_sm.jpg

The question comes up often—and who can blame—about “if you could only pick one presentation for bass fishing what would it be?” I’m sure this question is different for everyone and can sometimes be determined on the body of water most frequented or the region you’re fishing in. The answer might be a swim bait for those anglers looking to target giant California bass, or it might be a live Redtail minnow for those searching for trophy smallmouth bass on the Mississippi River, but regardless of the answer, confidence plays an important role. For me, confidence comes in the form of “being easy,” not just in terms of catching fish, but easy for friends and clients to use and catch fish on as well. And when you’re talking about an easy, productive option from spring to fall, you’re talking about the infamous wacky rig...

Read the entire article... Keeping it Wacky - CLICK HERE

Enjoy! smile

Instability... yep, that pretty much sums up the fishing the last week or so. One fish here, one fish there, keep moving, moving, moving. I've had a heck of a time nailing down a pattern lately. We've been catching some fish, but nothing consistent in regards to a location and/or pattern. One fish will come off a deep point on a crankbait... then another fish will come off a shallow flat with a buzzbait... then an inside weed line wacky-rig... then a spinnerbait burned over the weeds... I think you get the picture. I'm sure the weather hasn't helped either, with t-storms and heavy rains, only adding to the high water. No wake restrictions make it tough to move around too. I feel bad for the lakeshore owners and resorts, something needs to give and these water levels need to drop.

All that being said though, the fish we have been catching are nice. Can't complain about the average lately. I'm hoping this average continues once the fish start to stack up and school more. I plan to see how that develops this week out on Minnetonka and the Chisago Chain. Should have something to report on both by the first part of next week.

Did hit Waconia for the first time this year. There was no wake restriction out there as of Friday (although they are darn close) and we managed to find a few fish, but again, a very sporadic bite. Here's one good one that came out deep...

MJ%20bass%20Merc.jpg

Otherwise it was run-and-gun all morning to stay on a few fish. My two-cents right now: Run a spinnerbait over the weed tops if it allows, then don't be afraid to flip into the weed pockets already, seems to be the only glimpse of a pattern right now. Jig worms should be more common soon as well.

If you want action though, then toss spinnerbait for pike on the outside weed lines... they seem to be all over!

I'm looking forward to a more stable pattern, and rest-assured it will come. Better things are on their way and keep the lakeshore owners in your thoughts and prayers.

Good luck out there!

Matt you are so right with the wacky rig! It is no doubt my go to. In the last week we fished a great lake in wisconsin 4 times and every time we caught at least 50 fish morning and night! They were literally everywhere. We caught a few nice ones but mostly medium size. All on the wacky rig. Overall that great lake combined with that great rig is dynamite smile

Just buy a gamakatsu wacky hooks and pick up any 4-6 inch worm (depending on the size of bass you are after) that is NOT a finesse worm. I like the real thick worms and overall 5 inch pretty much catches all sizes. Then take your worm and hook it right in the middle. When fishing it just let it drop to the bottom and continuously pull up to give it action. My best use of it is definetly casting it literally under docks and skipping it below docked boats. You may lose a few hooks once in a while but it is worth it

What is your favorite set-up for wacky riggin?

Many different options out there for Wacky Rig setups, and in a pinch, pretty much any worm hook will do. I've Wacky Rig with just about everything at some point, LOL. However, if I have the choice, I go into the saltwater department at the Fly Angler and grab some of those Gamakatsu Tarpon hooks in a 1/0-3/0 (depending on what you prefer for size). The diameter of the hook is slightly larger but it holds the plastic on better and also dominates on the hookset... amazing how few fish you loose with these hooks once you put the muscle to them!

There are also several options for weighted Wacky Rig hooks too, all of which seem to work well. I've used several different brands and don't know if I have a favorite there?

As far as rod/reel/line setups, it all depends on the cover you're fishing as well as depth. If I'm skipping around docks and fishing those areas then I like a 6.5' rod in Medium-Heavy action spinning rod. I can control the shorter rod better and also horse the fish out with the stronger rod. This rod also works great for around the pads and heavier cover if you want to just beat up a shoreline. I pair this rod with a 2500 or 3000 series Shimano reel and 30-40 pound braid. You could certainly do Fluorocarbon as well in 14-17 pound test.

If I'm fishing more open water with less cover then I will fish a longer rod in a more Medium action. Might even switch to a 20 pound braid or 10 pound fluorocarbon. I might go to a baitcasting reel for this application, but a spinning rod setup will of course work fine too.

There are many other options for setups as well... these are just a few...

• Thumbs Up 1

I should have specified I was curious about rod/reel/line, but you hit it on the head so thank you! Definitely going to be giving it more time.

Wacky rigging is great not only because it's a fun way to fish, but an easy way to fish. Not a whole lot of thinking or strategy involved, just cast and wait. Sometimes letting the bait sink is the best form of triggering. Then a subtle 1-foot hop and let it sink again. It's a patience game at times but it usually pays off if a fish is in the area. Wacky rigs also skip under docks extremely well and stay in the strike zone longer while in shallow water (slow fall) so for the bass-heads that prefer shallow water/shoreline fishing then it's the perfect option to get out and catch a lot of fish. Beginners eat it up too, and even anglers who never bass fish can use and catch fish on a wacky rig right away.

It's funny to think that someones mistake/experience turned into such a hot tactic!

I respectfully disagree with the poundage of line that you should use. I think that 10 pound power pro should work just fine, I have NEVER broken off power pro unless it was bit of by a northern.

MJ%20bass%20Merc%20email.jpg

When we think of drop-shotting, we typically think of vertical, finesse fishing over a rock pile or piece of isolated structure. Or maybe even a tactic used to pick-off schooling smallmouth bass along expansive flats. Drop-shotting is without a doubt an effective way to deploy a finesse presentation. But what about casting—or pitching—a drop-shot presentation? Why be limited to fishing this rig vertically when covering water can be just as fun… this is where “pitching drop-shots” comes into play and can have a place when targeting a variety of species...

Read the entire article... Pitching Drop-Shots - CLICK HERE

Enjoy! smile

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been drop shotting bass the last few weeks, it is simple and fun. Sometimes they just grab the tube and run, others hit it like a jig worm. I may give it a try for suspended crappies this summer too. I'm thinking power minnows or trigger x minnows for slabs. Maybe I'll get lucky with a stray walleye here and there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, I used to deep crank with 30lb braid because it casts very well and sensitivity. Switched to 12lb fluoro and casts well but the sensitivity just isn't there. I watched a seminar of yours and you like 10 pound braid for deep cranks. Would you still recommend that? Thanks!

Matt, I used to deep crank with 30lb braid because it casts very well and sensitivity. Switched to 12lb fluoro and casts well but the sensitivity just isn't there. I watched a seminar of yours and you like 10 pound braid for deep cranks. Would you still recommend that? Thanks!

Yes, for sure. I still use 10 pound braid for casting crankbaits. A lot people use mono or fluorocarbon but I'm having a hard time switching from the 10 pound braid. I feel that I get longer casts, deeper diving baits, and still maintain sensitivity to detect hard bottom and/or weeds on my line/bait. I was out throwing cranks with 10 pound braid this weekend and I plan to do it again this week out on Tonka smile

Thanks! I noticed that my 12lb fluoro was alright for DT10 but when I used a DT16 I couldn't feel the thump. When using a fluoro leader, what is a good pound test for that 10pound braid?

I would think 8# would be fine... it won't stretch as much as when running it for main line. You could run 10# too and be ok...

A 3-punch approach to crankbaits that will help you land more fish this summer! 3 easy-to-use crankbait options that can be

fished in a variety ways, for a variety of species.

3 Punch Crankin - CLICK HERE

Enjoy! smile

• 3 weeks later...

Is it August already?! Man this summer is flying by! Good news though, fishing has been consistent and good! Bass are doing the right thing and staging on deep edge, rocks and points, along with sucking into the milfoil. More predictable now than a few weeks ago! Jig worms, crankbaits, drop-shots, rock jigs and of course the weed jig for punching through heavy cover. Some fish still coming off docks with wacky-rigs but I've been finding most of our larger/consistent fish out deeper holding on weed/rock combo areas. Crankbaits have accounted for a lot of fish too... fun to pull them on on cranks! If you want the easiest approach though then I would just tie on a jig worm and have at it, fish are biting!

For panfish, a ton of fish on the outside weed lines right now. You can have a field day catching sunfish and crappies--more sunfish though. Plastics and 1/32oz or 1/16oz jigs, no need for a bobber, just vertical jig on the outside weed line and you'll get bit! You can of course pitch around the shallows and catch some panfish right now too, but I would move out deeper for the consistent larger fish. If you have large weed flats with obvious pockets then fish those areas too.

Got to spend some time in the boat for the Lefites Lunkers Pro-Am on Tonka this week and was fortunate enough to fish with Chris Parmelee from the MN Twins. Great guy and the event was for a great cause. All proceeds went to Leukemia Lymphoma...

LLS%20weigh%20in.jpg

Matt%20and%20Chris.jpg

It was a great time and the fish cooperated nicely!

Looks like some nice weather ahead of us and for those looking to fish this weekend you will definitely enjoy it! I think I'm heading back to the river then next week will be Tonka and Forest Lake on the agenda!

Good luck out there and be safe!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...