• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports by Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson

Deeper water nearby is usually a good thing. It doesn't have to be extremely deep, but a deeper flat is important. These shallow bays might not just hold fish for feeding movements, rather you might begin to find fish holding in them all day (and night) long. Once the weeds "green-up" again you can expect the fish to hold in them right through ice-out... where they might then relocate for the warmest water as the sun heats things up...

I haven't been out for a few days but the last time I was out I was catching lots of bluegills suspended (?) over a 25 ft hole.

Same with me. Last weekend I would get the first fish to come in around the bottom in 20 FOW or so but then they would school up at a higher level in the water column - 5 or 6 feet off the bottom.

There are definitely still some fish out deeper, no doubt about it. Main lake structure and even some of the deeper holes are still holding fish. Worth a look. However, for me at least, I've been finding bigger fish in the shallows as of late. They are starting to move in and with the recent snow cover they are more likely to bite throughout the day, even the crappies... looking to find a few more tomorrow and Saturday before heading up north for a few days... I'll report back...

• 2 weeks later...

The ice in the Metro Area is going fast and with the warm weather predicted I would highly advise walking out only... possibly even staying off the ice unless you head north... although the warm temps are actually going to blanket most of the state. It's unfortunate that our ice fishing season is being cut short but it's not worth the risk. This is an unusual late ice season (or lack there of) and things really got bad in a hurry. My ice fishing in the Metro Area is done for the year.

So, if anyone decides to head out please practice caution. Otherwise we can get the boats out next weeks smile

I'm with Matt. I was hoping to get a couple more days this week after getting back from Lake of the Woods, but I think I'll call it a season. Much safer for me to sit on the deck with a beer. So today I'm planning on cleaning up my equipment and getting it put away. Sure hope next winter is better from the standpoint of weather.

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely a weird spring... it's March 28 and we've had the boats out for over a week! Not to mention we found 56 degree water temp in some of the back sloughs on Tonka already! It's both good and bad... the good thing is if you like open water then rock and roll, but the bad thing is we need to wait another six weeks until opener! Some excellent panfish action right now though...

We've found action in two main areas...

1) Back ends of channels, fingers, arms, bays, etc, where the water has warmed up the fastest. Still water that sees a lot of sun seems to be critical of course. It doesn't have to be on the north end of the lake either, so don't always look towards hitting the north side.

2) Mouths leading into back bays and shallow spring-time hot spots. It also seems as if a lot of fish are staging on the edges of these bays in that 8-15 foot range. These areas seem to be holding the larger fish... namely crappies. We've found our best schools (in terms of size) in these areas.

Regardless, the shallows are going to eventually light-up and the back little nooks and crannys are going to be heating up as well. Fish will be in skinny water if they're not already.

Go out there and chase 'em!

Any little back cut, channel or creek. A lot of lakes have small shallow sections that warm up the fastest. For example, Lake Minnetonka has a ton of little channels and winding creeks branching off from the main lake, same thing will little boat-dock marinas and things of that nature. These spots will be much warmer than main lake and you can expect panfish to be stacked-up in those areas right now...

Are there any shore spots on minnetonka to c&r a few fish. My buddy and I are teachers on spring break. We went to several of our shore spots, but.with water being low they didnt pan out. Any help? You pm me if you would like. Thanks for the help

I know a lot of people fish from shore near the Maxwell Bay access and do well for spring panfish, might be worth a look there. Otherwise most of the channel areas have sections where anglers can fish from shore, but it can be a timing bite, but usually panfish are there...

• 4 weeks later...

Had the new boat out to Thorne Bros today for their giant Spring Sale. Tomorrow and Sunday are the big days though... stop out and say hi!!

NewBoatTBSpringSale_lo-600x400.jpg

matt u said u only ice fish ........ now u b pro open water?

I've been guiding year-round for 9 years now. Been out in the boat for a while smile Also fish(ed) quite a few tournaments. I definitely love to ice fish but I probably spend more time in the boat over a 12 month period.

• 2 weeks later...

Some exciting weather ahead of us for the opener... forecast is calling for 70's in the Metro with very little to no chance of rain... doesn't sound like a typical MN opener but I'll take it! Although, I'm sure the lakes will have a record number of anglers out there as well, but you can't always have your cake and eat it too smile

Lately the panfish have been active. The shallows continue to produce fish but a lot of the big fish have slid out. We're finding our best numbers of big fish on the outside weed line and even on rock piles. Some awkward patterns but it's a pattern nonetheless. Even appears as if some lakes are already finding fish holding on early summer spots... most lakes I'm hitting have 60 degree water temp somewhere... with shallow bays in the mid 60's and even higher if you find the right backwater. This sun and projected forecast will really heat the shallows up as well.

I'm anxious to hear how things go this weekend for everyone. I think we'll find some walleyes on cranks or even small soft jerkbaits. Early morning might be the ticket in the shallows with the weather we're expecting... get out there early and take advantage of a warm start to the day!

Good luck to everyone this weekend and be safe!

Thanks for the report, Matt. My brother and I have decided to stay around home this weekend instead of heading up north. We'll be on Tonka bright and early Saturday! Can't wait!

So, how did everyone do for the opener? The walleyes were definitely in a funk from the sounds of all the reports across the Metro. I received reports from about a dozen different bodies of water and it sounds like everyone sure had to work for them.

I unfortunately had to miss the opener this year... some things came up that I had to attend to... oh well, it's a long season and I plan on hitting the water tomorrow through the weekend... and from the sounds of it we might even see a day in the 90's?!?! Whew... might be some early morning trips those days smile

I did see a few nice fish up on Mille Lacs as well as in the Park Rapids area... sounds like the northern region did pretty well.

Hopefully everyone had a safe opener and the open water season is now officially in motion!!

Hit some lakes in the North Metro the past few days and found some consistent action up in the weeds... and when I mean "in the weeds" I really mean it. We hit the inside weed line and outside weed line without a lot of success, but once we went into the pockets and beat up the thick stuff then we started finding better fish. We're talking panfish here... nice sunfish staging for the upcoming weeks. They were more than eager to bite too. Water temps were in the 60's everywhere we went the fish were in 4-8 feet of water. Presentation didn't matter a whole lot but we ended up using colors we could see because it turned into a game of sight-fishing... what a fun way to fish! Pull away from the little ones and wait for a big one to grab it smile

As far as pike and walleyes go, the pike we all over in the weeds as well, but we didn't land anything for any size. Saw one nice one but that was about it... largest one landed was about 4-5 pounds. Also saw quite a few bass in the weeds as well, which should make for a good opening! The walleyes were tight on the outside weed edge and if you're bait didn't fall into the weeds a little then you didn't get bit. Didn't target walleyes much so didn't throw the kitchen sink at them...

Looks like this week will bring some comfortable weather with a chance of rain on and off. I'm going to try and get some fish in the boat before the crowd hits the lakes this next weekend...

Good luck next weekend and everyone be safe! Have a great Memorial weekend!!

Spent some time up in Chisago County the past few days starting to search for the gills. Even got to spend one of the days with a dear friend of mine, ICE JOHN, from Iowa. What a great guy!!! We found some in the shallows but not in full-force quite yet. The best bite came on the outside weed line still but could change shortly. Biggest fish was 9-1/8" and very stout. Saw a couple giants swimming in the thick weeds but couldn't connect. Water temps started around 60 degrees right away in the morning and got to about 67 by the time the day was done... wait until around noon if you're looking to target the shallow gills right now smile

One of the bright sides of being stuck to the outside weed line is the crappies right now... they are EVERYWHERE in that 10-14 foot range. Find the immediate weed edge and work the next open 10 feet. They are in the upper water column and eager to eat. Must have touched over 100 fish in those areas on Friday. Nothing huge, biggest was around 11" but some incredible numbers. The best way to find the school is the throw a 1/2 oz spinnerbait until you see fish blowing up on the surface... then switch to the panfish tackle and game-on smile

Outside of the gills and crappies, we did find some decent perch action on the shallow flats... some nice ones too. It's great to see the perch sizes bouncing back a little up there... it wasn't uncommon to catch a few 10-11" fish on every spot... very exciting and I'll be going back just for that! YUM!

We also stumbled across several pike and bass too. The pike had no rhyme or reason, they were all over and if you threw a spinnerbait or crankbait then you got bit. The bass were up in the reeds and completely crushed the spinnerbait... the shallow bite is on for the bass right now... not too early to throw a frog either wink

I'm very excited to focus on gills the next couple weeks... I think everything is shaping up for a good shallow push...

• 2 weeks later...

Spent more time up in Chisago County this last few days and we timed things just right for the sunfish. Thursday they were barely moving onto their beds... but Friday they were ALL OVER them! I can honestly say I experienced the best panfishing of my life on Friday. We touched one fish that went 15 ounces and at least 25 that were between 12-14 ounces, not to mention how many that were between that 1/2-3/4 pound range. I got to share the experience with a good friend and sponsor of mine, John Hewitt, and John caught many personal best sunfish and made the comment, "I've been fishing for over 50 years and this was by far the best day of panfishing I've ever had!!" Always exciting to watch an ex-bass pro light-up like a kid a Christmas reeling in sunfish after sunfish, LOL... needless to say John is a hooked panfish angler now smile

We started the day looking at 62 degree water temp... the fish were moving slow and not too aggressive... but by about 11am the water temps reached 66 degrees and it was on! Water temps eventually hit 68 degrees before we went back to the dock around 3pm. Water depths ranged from 2-5 feet of water and water clarity was no more than 2 feet, maybe even 1.5... tough to tell exactly but the water was definitely murky.

We tried to duplicate the bite again yesterday but couldn't reproduce what happened on Friday, but we did manage some big fish yesterday too and I had one of my clients catch his personal best sunfish yesterday too, so some big fish were still there.

This trend of hot shallow action should continue through the week for most area lakes, maybe even longer...

Baits of choice were the Mister Twister Micro Shad and their new VIE Shiner (which you NEED to check out... AMAZING!!). I will work on getting some video up of the action.

Hopefully everyone who made it out for muskie opener had a swing at a few fish... now everything is fair game and it's time to get out and catch some fish! Enjoy the nice weather forecasted for this week!!

Hey! I was fishing the Chisago area lakes and had a good last couple of days bass fishing laugh Both evenings combined probably totaled about 45 largemouths that were all caught and released back in. Had 2 five pounders Sunday evening and another pretty close today laugh Sunday evening had the bigger fish as most caught were about 15-16in and tonite most were closer to 12-15in. Most were caught on spinnerbaits but plastics were also catching! Oh, and I caught my first dogfish in like 16 years, dang ugly things lolz. By the way though, if you fish in the area anything over 12in has to be released and I heard that the retirees get paid for sending in tips that results in fines. Apparently they are making good money so far this bass season heh!

Speaking of sunfish and gills, omg there were alot of them around in the shallows. Even had a gill nail and get caught by my spinnerbait! Good sizes also and if we got bored we could have easily just been lazy and sat around fishing them all day long while sitting down and relaxing laugh

• 2 weeks later...

The bite continued for a few days (in regards to the sunfish) but then it died off quite a bit. A lot of the fish moved out of the immediate shallows and hid in the weeds. The weed pockets seemed to be the best place to find bigger fish the last week or so. The weather has also been interesting, where things never seem to stay consistent. Although you can still find some decent panfishing action if you're willing to move and move staying on top of smaller pods of fish.

As far as bass and other gamefish go, I've been spending a little more time on Lake Minnetonka chasing those. The weed edge is where the multi-species action is at... stay out in 15-18 feet and keep contact with the bottom. For guide trips we've been using live bait... primarily fatheads and leeches tipped on a jighead. Weights range from 1/4oz to 3/8oz depending on depth and weather (as well as experience level, heavier jigs allow you to feel the bottom better). Color didn't seem to matter some days, but firetiger and parrot seem to be the go-to's. Walleys, bass and pike.

I also spent a day on the Mississippi with Dave Genz last week. That guy is a fishing machine on the river! Everyone thinks of him as an ice angler (and rightly so) but he is a phenomenal river angler. We put his RiverPro in spots where a boat should not be going and managed to touch around 75 smallies in only a half-day of fishing. We caught fish mostly throwing live bait into cuts and slack-water, but also managed some fish on buzzbaits and other lures as well.

Overall the fishing the last couple weeks has been consistent in the surrounding areas. Not many insane reports, but fish are definitely being caught. Even managed to boat a handful of walleyes on a few local lakes... oh, and those hammer-handle pike are everywhere! smile

Looks like a little more rain early this week and then some decent weather leading into the weekend! Good luck out there!

I sure wish the weather would cooperate for a day... spent most of the day on Tonka today and in between the intervals of heavy down-pour and strong winds we actually landed a few fish. Nothing big, but the numbers were good on a few spots. All good spots were outside weed lines... 13-18 feet, although the two biggest bass of the day came in 20-24 feet but we could pattern them to save our lives out in that deeper water. Tried rock... hard bottom... inside turns... didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why the those two rogue fish were in slightly deeper water, completely isolated from cover... must have been the over-cast and rain. Otherwise all of the fish were within 5 yards of the immediate weed line.

Best spots today were Excelsior and Big Island area... seemed to be holding a lot of fish... hammer-handle pike everywhere too smile

I know the Denny's event out there had someone weigh-in over 34 pounds for 8 fish... not too shabby! The bite is on...

Are you typically using plastics fished along the bottom when fishing those deeper outside weedlines? What about deeper diving rapalas or something similar?

Plastics are the go-to right now... I've been taking Mister Twister Comidas and biting an inch off and fishing those on an 1/8oz exposed All-Terrain Mighty Jig. The exposed hook gets fouled up a little more but the hooking percentage and land ratio is better. These fish will hit and immediately take off for the surface... aerial stunts to follow smile Best colors have been green pumpkin, watermelon or junebug. Make sure you find the hard bottom though... as that is one of the most important parts of the equation...

Oh... and the crankbait bite should turn on very soon... I've been throwing them for a little while every time out but they are not fully committing on that yet... but once they do then there is no better way to get that school wired!! Soon...

Spent some time out in the boat this past weekend chasing down pannies and bass in Anoka County. Hit two different lakes and found similar results. The panfish were all over, didn't matter the depth, but the larger fish were up in the shallows (less than 5 feet) and we actually sight-fished some roaming giants (not on beds). We did find a few decent pods in the shallow weeds... had to deal with foul-hooks all the time but the fish were there. We threw Mister Twister 1" grubs as well as Mister Twister Micro Shads... both worked very well. They were not hitting the larger plastics this weekend. And man was it hot when you got out of the wind! 85 degree air temp and 81 degree water temp, LOL smile

As far as bass go, we caught them in similar areas. Didn't really target bass a whole lot but threw some texas-rigged Mister Twister Comidas for a while and managed to land a few... all inside weed line stuff.

Here are a couple photos from the weekend...

JackBlakeColeMatt.jpg

Jack, my two nephews and I posing for the camera. These boys know how to catch fish!

JackInBoat-600x450.jpg

Jack showing off how big of a fish he is about to catch smile

MattBassJune12.jpg

My 4 year son Jack took this photo... he might have a career in photography! LOL

Overall it was a fun weekend. The weather cooperated and the fish seemed to follow suite. More warm weather this weekend and back into the bass scene... more to report soon...

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple weeks have been up and down in the Metro depending on the species. The bass and pike have been cooperating, but the walleyes have been hit or miss. We had a couple good days going but then they turned sour and wouldn't touch anything (walleyes). Marked a lot of fish out on the rocks and verified them to be walleyes by dropping down the underwater camera but no takers. The only walleyes we've caught recently have been tight to the weeds. The bass however... they are out on the rocks and very eager to crush a variety of presentations... roller jigs (rock jigs) and crankbaits have been our two go-to options, but swimbaits have accounted for quite a few fish too. Get the school going and keep casting in the same spot over and over... you'll get them dialed in once the first one pops. Start by hitting the most obvious mainlake weed points and stay glued to your graph for the hard bottom areas... then waypoint those areas and put your bait right across it... you'll get bit.

The pike are in similar areas, but one thing I've noticed is that the more variety of weed types present the better. We got on an awesome pattern out on Tonka for pike the last week or so... big fish too... largest coming in at just under 39" and multiple fish in the 35-36" range. Mainlake milfoil points leading into the deepest water... Rapala DT-16 or Salmo Boxers and let it fly. You have to work the bait deep to shallow, so position your boat down the point and cast towards the tip and work the bait parallel... it sounds wierd but it's a game of angles... same with the bass out there too. You could be on the right spot but not making the right casts...

Otherwise the panfish are still going pretty darn good. The sunfish are still on their beds in some lakes, otherwise they are on the outside weed lines. Crappies are all over the outside weed lines in 8-15 feet of water. Troll slowly with a Beetle Spin or small panfish spinnerbait and you'll get bit... then slow down with a tube or minnow bait and really put the hurtin' on 'em. Keep doing that while you follow the school because they don't stay put for too long... this has worked on a few different lakes with different water clarity and weed types.

Looks like more amazing weather is in our future... go out there and get 'em and remember to keep moving until you find fish... they are eating somewhere!!

Three words for the last several days... HOT, HOT, HOT!!! You know it's bad when you get out of the truck to launch your boat (at 6am) and your glasses instantly fog up, LOL. Regardless, the heat hasn't seemed to really hinder the fishing...

We've been targeting mostly bass and sunfish... as the walleyes have moved out onto mainlake structure and have been mostly window-fish (biting only at select times it seems). The pike are here and there too, but we've been focusing our tactics towards bass and sunfish so they are mostly just breaking us off instead of finding their way to the boat, haha.

As far as the bass go, we've been finding two distinct patterns to be holding true on a variety of lakes...

1) They are out on deep weed lines and mainlake rock piles. Both of these spots need hard bottom, very critical. All deep weed lines are not created equal, as you need to find the hard bottom spots and pay attention to your electronics. Mark the hard bottom spots on your GPS and even though you might not get bit there at that time, I would still come back to it in the future, as they have the tendency to hold fish as they cycle through. Large underwater points are good places to start, same with any boulder/rock spots you know of on the outside weed line. We've been keying on 12-18 feet, but a handful of fish have come from 20-25 feet too. Deep crankbaits, rock jigs and jig worms have been our go-to presentations. Make sure you make contact with the hard bottom and try to keep in there in the strike zone as long as possible, so position your boat accordingly. This pattern has been the best for consistently producing fish.

2) For murky/algae-ridden lakes, look to the shallow mats of weeds. We've found that even in this extreme heat that the bass are holding in the shallow water, 2-5 feet, as long as the boggy weeds are present. A lot of minnows are holding in these areas and the bass are right there with them. One important characteristic to focus on is nearby deep water... make sure it's there. Seems like the bass are sliding up to feed. Longer stretches of shallow water leading to these spots are producing smaller fish only, but these types of spots with deep water close by have proven to be very positive. Wacky-rigged Mister Twister Comidas have been our go-to here (also YUM Dingers or Senkos). Fish slow and don't be afraid to skip it across the patches of those thick weeds, a lot of blow-ups on the surface too... but the frogs haven't been working, they want the wacky-rigged plastic it seems. And then you have the obvious dock-skipping too.

Stick to those two paterns and you'll be on fish. Here are a couple bass photos from the last few days...

MattBassCL_2012_lo.jpg

One that fell victim to the crankbait

JerelBass.jpg

Guide client with a nice bass

As far as the sunfish go... they are in the thick weeds or out on the deep weed lines... not far off from where the bass are... darn-near same patterns but different presentations. We've done well with Mister Twister Tri-Alive Tails and the new VIE Shiner minnows on 1/16oz jig heads. We've also been working some Mister Twister Micro Shads in the weed pockets too. Outside weed lines have been producing the most (and biggest) fish lately though. Crappies are mixed in out there too.

Here is a good one we got over the weekend...

MattGillCL_2012_lo.jpg

My biggest advice for the current conditions would be to definitely hydrate for starters, but then focus deep and fish slow if you have to. For the bass, find those hard bottom spots and just make sure your bait is in-contact with the bottom... the fish are there. For the panfish, stay a little off the bottom and down-size to panfish plastics and you'll get bit. Also bring along some crappies minnows as everything will eat those too smile

Good luck out there and stay cool!!