• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

( Rick ) Gentz blue box

Sturge1

Question

Rick I have a open question re holding the vex battery in the Gentz blue box. Do you have any preformed Poly-foam that will fit the battery like the Pro Packs? Every couple of years I have to redo the stirefoam.You have been on the mark for alot of product this year and I just wondered if you have this one covered.
Thanks Struge

22 answers to this question

I bought a vex on here a couple of years ago and it had spray foam blown in after the battery was set in. Haven't had to do any repair on it as of yet.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hi Chemist & Sturge,
1st, we've never sold a vex or a box for it.

We have been introduced to an outstanding tough durable Black Box for a Vex or MarCum.

It has lights that light up your hole and another in the transducer holder which works well for glowing jigs. It has a rubber pad on the bottom to reduce shock on your transducer and when you stick the Foam that's on the cable into it it makes a nice snug fit for your transducer. It encloses the battery and is set-up to make charging very easy.

Unfortunately, the cost appears a bit high. We took it to the ice show and while people really liked it they didn't want to fork over the 99 bucks. I suspected that would be the case.

So, to make a long story short, we may make it available, I just don't see that many going out. It's worth the money, but the resistance to spending that kind of money, for a battery, vexilar, transducer, carrying case with lights, is high.

Sorry if that was taken the wrong way, I bought it used from someone here in the for sale/wanted section. Not as a product sponsored here.

I've had 3 gentz blue boxes in the last 3 years.
maybe Im just hard on them but they dont hold up.
I got the new black box in september of 2002 and though it may be more expensive its a great addition to my gear.
I can hold it on my chest with the strap and check holes one after the other and keep a hand free.
the glow station is excellent and the light is very sturdy.
All in all I think you get what you pay for.
Expense is one thing but this thing works and is well worth the money.

I know a person that has had one for 6 years now. I thought that it was kinda tough. I surprised to hear that it got broken or wrecked.
So I suppose it depends on how hard you abuse it.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

The Genz blue box may not be the best anymore, but I remember when it first came out. Best thing back then since sliced bread. It definately served its purpose.
Just another example of how the sport of ice-fishing has evolved over the last few years.
Someone is always coming up with something new and better and that is part of what makes it interesting. Lets see what the inventers have in mind for the future.

They don't make things like they used to.

I got a Blue Box...Blown Mold plastic, I got from Gander Mountain for $8. That was because there was no price tag on the box, and when I got to the counter the kid working the register couldn't find a price so we guessed...

I said $6, he said $10...So we met in the middle. A far cry from the $29.99 they get for them. This was when the Gander Mountain in Fridley first opened.

So far it has held up good...But this is an older box too.

PCG

Harley1234 - Three boxes in three years???!!! What did you do run them over with your Harley? I beat the crap out of my gear and like the blue box alot. I just took my new fl-18 off the pro pack it came on and put it on a blue box. They are much more durable than the pro-packs plus they keep evevything up out of the snow, slush, and water.....

The Blue Boxes are the most durable ones out there. I have had mine for years and have not had one single problem. I just rigged a light up to the front so i can see the hole without a lantern at night when i'm out being mobile. It cost about 4 bucks all together, thats including a toggle switch. It took about 15 mins. Thats just my 2-3 cents.
Brian

2 things Brian:

#1 is, you said it...you have had your box for years...I don't doubt that the newer ones won't take as much abuse as the variety you and I have from the good old days.

#2. You just gave me a great idea for my blue box, rigging up a light with a toggle switch...on an adjustable arm...so thanks grin.gif

PCG

I'm just wondering what you guys with the blue box think I should do. I now use the pro pack holder that came with my vex and then I have the whole thing in a cut down bucket. It works pretty good and it seems to protect the vex well. I have always looked at those blue boxes but wondered if it would protect the flasher as good. Just wondering.
Dave

Thanx pro crappie guide, thats probably what I will do. But its fun to talk about all the gadgetry.

I haven't seen the new blue boxes yet.. But the one I just sold that had my FL8SLT on was one tough mother I had it for about 5 years and no complaints. I will be getting my new blue box with my Fl-18 sometime this week I will report if they cheapened em up. I too mounted a sonar light on my blue box, HT Sonar Light. It works great and is convenient for lighting the hole area, flip the universal head up and you can tie jigs not bad for $14.

National Sports Supply (920) 994-9218 talk to Dan, make sure he sends you a color catalog, lots of ice fishing stuff at good prices.

I'm on my 11th winter with my Blue Box. No issues. Harley - 3 in 3 years? You might want refrain from setting the box directly in front of your Mr. Heater/Cooker!!!

LOL!

I too have had my box forever, bought it when we still had to use the arm and bubble level ducer. dropped it down a large flight of concrete stairs a few years ago and broke the ducer arm, but the box n vex held up fine.
I was bummed, helplessly watching that thing tumbling down the stairs. It almost looked like slow motion. I thought for sure I was gonna have to go back to lead weight for a dephfinder! Me of little faith! wink.gif

Cyb ><}}}}}("< ><!> >"){{{{{{{><

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 12-23-2002).]

For anyone with a pro pack, the blue soft-material Vex case is really nice.

I just trashed mine, though (well not trashed, it's sitting in my basement). Why?

Two reasons: The zippers to open it can be a small hassle. And when my battery finally punked out, I realized that I might be taking a few trips of more than two days to lakes in or near the BWCAW without the means to charge the battery in the meantime. So I built a holder out of cedar that has room for two batteries, and I bought two batteries. I took the center black plastic vertical piece off my pro-pack, the handle piece with the charge meter and wiring on it, and screwed it to a piece of wood between the Vex and the battery compartment.

Cedar is very light weight and water resistant. The whole thing with only one battery weighs only a few ounces more than the pro pack with the blue soft cover, but I never have to fumble around with zippers and such. The extra weight comes by adding that second Vex battery, but I'll take the extra weight and larger space required in exchange for being able to get four days' fishing without a recharge.

I have one of the very first blue box's ever built.It is all wood,and hase the same basic shape as the plastic ones have now.
Still holds a CWC,battery,and a small charger.Edges are getting rounded now but still solid.I think it is like 13 or so years old.
Benny

We too have the blue box and love it. When we first got our Vex we were going to get that blue box and then saw the price of it, we decided to make our own out of wood. It was the same basic design only wood. The only problem with that was it was sooo dang heavy. I finally broke down a couple of years ago and got the blue box and love it. It is much lighter and is tough. Everyone has different preferences and I have no issues with mine.

-----------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady