• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

fishing reports from the shores of upper red lake.

We /Phil and I got out yesterday just for a hour before I had to go to work. Managed two fat keepers and missed a couple of fish. We were fishing down where the water get a little deeper closer to shore .Alll Our fish and misses came in six feet of water. Phil was dragging a orange floating jig with a lindy sinker about 12 inches up the line while I was slow trolling a gold and red spinner. Phil got both keepers while all I could do is swing and miss. It was still nice to see Phil catch a couple as I usaly outfish him.

Tallked to 4 guys from tenstrike at north country store at lunch time today and they were done with there 16 fish. 4 feet of water was there magic depth.

I wet a line yesterday morning before work. Missed 5 bites and lost one keeper at the boat. Working all day its hard to get out after work and the last couple weekends I have been trying to get all the stuff done that I should of been doing this summer. A small touch of procastinating on my part.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,danand mel were up for the weekend to get the new carpet in the fish houses Minnesota and montana. They installed a indoor outdoor carpet and it looks nice. They were able to get out a couple of times as they decided to bring there own boat. They ended up with 7 real nice sized keepers bobber fishing. that surprised me that they only wanted to bobber fish but thats the way they like to fish. They aslo went out to center bar and caught a couple of them there. i did get out for about a hour with the grandson. he is 4 so kinda of a handfull. We trolled spinners and may of missed two as the minnows were gone but we never landed a fish. It also sounds like the pike were on a bit of a frenzy as Dan landed a 33 and they lost two others. Plus I have heard there were a few others that also had a big fish on this weekend.

• 1 month later...

I have 3 of our four houses onthe lake at this time. I pre fished florida just at dusk last night and got 1 fat keeper and missed one on th erattle wheel. That was good enough for me and I expect Mike and his son should catch a couple of fish today, I had a call after dark last night from jigglestick and goose as they were looking for a place to crash. I kinda broke my rule and since the heat was on I put them in florida for the night. It will be interesting to see how they did over night.

Thanks Cookie! you saved the day cool we were on our way back from a long day fishing to the north of you and most of our catch being saugers, it just felt right to stop in and see you.

the house was very confortable. we are already in the plans to make one just like it.

after a visit at the temple, we headed out to the house and dropped lines. I had two fish one almost right away both got off. it was a bit slow after that but heck, it was after 10:00 pm. we kepty one rattle reel down and fell asleep to a movie. the nice thing about sleeping on the top bunk is when a rattle reel goes off, I got to wake Goose, then he'd wake up to retrieve the fish. first one was a 19 inch throw back, then an hour or so later, a 16 incher keeper. the third at 5:30 was a swing and a miss and the we caught one more this morning at 18 inches. that would have been a nice fish sandwich.

cookie.jpg

being pinned down on Winnie all winter, this is a nice break to the long winter that lies ahead. can't thank you enough.

remember, when you on the edge, give me a call, I'll talk you down grin

Make sure the top window is horizontel and above the mattres. Also the window above the sink should be a slider. Good luck with that project and thanks for stopping in it was good to see you guys.And tell Goose thanks for the ride/drive in the new machine.

day 3 and I'm all ready to move three houses to greener pastures.Bob, Gene and andy did not do to well but seemed to enjoy there stay just getting away. You also could not of asked for nicer guys.

Just like in the past the houses always burn out after 1 or two days of fishing. Florida and montana will be moved in the morning . California will be staying put for now.

Sten,Jim amd Randy have been in old minnesota a better part of the day and have some type of action all day. They had a few nice perch on the ice and had landed a 21 and 18 inch walleye. I missed a fish on the rattle wheel while I was visiting and nabbed a nice perch on my tip up. Sten lost a fish at the hole that looked like a keeper. They headed to happy hour just as the sunset. I think they will have some action tonight so tomorrow we will see if I'm right.

6 days in and the red baron lost his fuel pump. Last year the right one went out about the same time. Now I need two fuel pumps. Who's idea was it to put them in the tanks?

I also took a long ride today out to the broken ice. Wow was that cool looking. There was one slab that had made a ramp and molded firmly into the ice. It was the perfect jump for a vechicle. If you hit it with a plow or k memebr the other way I think it would stop you in your tracks.. Takin g house through that area looked all most impossible.If you like fishing rough ice its out therea and a big area

Just took another criuise after getting the girlsset up in old minnesota .I head wnw and stopped just in front of norskis nest on the north shore .From where I left to where I yurned around a guy could of ice skated the wholwe way there.

Time to move old minnesota. Today I will be moving minnesota,doing some prefishing,hanging some trinkets in florida and just en joying the lake. I would say old minnesota caught around a dozen walleye,one broken line from a pike. The biggest walleye 24 incher, 10 perch and only four keepers walleyes. Its time to move to whiter pastures. Taking off in a few to wet a line and look for a spot for minnesota.

I ran into Dean from beacon harbor,he said most were still doing well out of there. He did mention the pressure ridge and was hoping it would heal. I offered my bridge if he needed it ,he wanted to buy it but I will keepeing it as you never know when your going to need a bridge.

Florida,montana and california are all ready to fish . Just have t o auger the holes. Jeff and his family will be here tomorrow for florida,then pat shows up for minnesota on tuesday as well as joe

Merry christmas to all you fellow fishermen and hope to see ya on the ice...

Yesterday was another satisfieing day on the lake. Mike and Joany fished in minnesota so the first thing I did was stop and clean the house and get it ready to move. While I was cleaning I put a minnow on the rattle wheel with a flu flu jig. It was notdown there 5 minutes and I had a nice keeperfull-1934-15386-406859_326909623995185_1.

After cleaning minnesota I was off to do some fishing out of th etruck and look over the north shore. What a enjoyable day . Every spot I augered I measured with a tape and never saw less the 13 1/2 inches. I maybe followed the north shore 4 miles top. .I did manage to catch 2 more keepers and one jumbo perch.

While fishing Mike called anmd wanted to know if I had a nother house they could fish in ?scout for me. California had not been fished so I gave the direction and a discription of the house. To my surprise when I came in they had augered the holes in florida and were fishing there? ERe was my first reaction as the house was all ready for Jeff and his family today. They auger 4 holes each in the center leaving no room to have two holes side by side Err Again. They also had a fat keeper Err again. Plus now they have fished in the house and a pet peeve of mine is a nice fresh holes when the customers arrive.Oh well,I sent them over to california .Then when I went back out at sunset they were gone Err again. The house is right on the break and needed to be fished at the twilite time. Ow well,I 'am headed out now and fish for a bit before I can make the decision to move on to whiter pastures

Jeff and Lisa stayed in florida with there two girls Llee and Libby. They fell in love with the top bunk and never wet a line as they had there own little fort up theer .Lisa and Jeff managed to get a few and have a fresh wallleye dinner. Jeff had a couple of friends on the lake and it sounded like they reallly stuggled each onlt getting one keeper.

Tommorow it gets real busy and the auger is going to get a good morning work out. All four house are full the next couple of days. Lets hope the fish cooperate.

Talked to Buddy Hillmen today. He said there doing real well out there. Jimmy's brother got a 40 inch pike when I pulled up with Jimmy's house. I pulled it from my shore over to beacon harbor. Things went real smooth so that was sweet. California is on the north shore and it will be fun to fish such a new area. I had hoped to fish it when I got there but the bolt to my auger vibrated out and the head fell off the truck. It damaged the gas cap. I could of jerry rigged it but I caught a couple of fish there two days ago so I know its a fishy area.

Well with only four houses this year it was nice to see all four with some fish. Mike and Verna had 4 keepers in Florida. Richard and his crew had a couple in Montana and a small pike Pat, Ryan and Pat's son Shawn had two keepers. Pat has been a great customer over the years. He has even tried two other outfits that I know of but still comes back to old minnesota. I told Pat they needed to be jigging a bit more as they had set lines down as they played cribbage. Joe and his crew fished california for the day and were gone before I got there. They did have a keeper before I left so that was encuraging. While I was there just as it was getting dark I dropped a line and banged out 3 fish in less then 5 minutes. Keith had given me two fish so I was hoping for two more. After the first one all I needed was one when I had a keeper on my rod and reel. As I was trying to get the hook out the rattle wheel went off and just like that I was over my limit. The one on the rattle wheel went right back down the hole evn though it was a fat 16 I had no choice. I guess it was a nice choice to have.

Getting all the houses ready yesterday morning was a adventure. When I arrived at montana it looked like every piece of snow to the south west had drifted around the house and I had no choice but to move all the snow before I augerd out the holes.

When I got to florida it was just the opposite and there was not a stich of snow within 100 yeards of the house. Minnesota the darnn heater had gone out .We put a new controll valve on it at the tune of 350.00 so I was alittle bummed but the gas man will get it dialed in.

When Joe and his crew arrived I escourtted them to california and all my fishermen were here for the night. Today we have another crew coming for florida,and california

Its been a few years since I have been able to get my house's up towards the north shore. After some scoutting I found a area I liked and hauled california up there. Yesterday old minnesota made the trip. Florida and montana will follow with my new house arizona to bring up the rear.

Last night when I made the rounds Pat and Ryan were way happy with the move.

Jeff and Penny were also having some good fishing and as I visited I even landed a couple of fish on Jeff's rod and reel.full-1934-15474-408795_329386837080797_1

Penny with two keepers.

Florida and montana were not doing all that well. I feel so bad when that happens but theres not much I can do.

Both houses had deccent fishing the night before but nothing to brag about.

The whole fleet is now on the north shore. Montana and florida each managed 3 keepers and were moved yesterday. Blake, Barb and the kids were having a hoot in florida last night and had 14 laying on the ice. Montana 150 feet away was stuggling to catch a walleye.

I took the grandkids out to minnesota for less then two hours and we missed more thn we caught.

full-1934-15536-401361_330322540320560_1

Theres plenty of space out there to fish that for sure'

full-1934-15538-388361_329800397039441_1

The new house was catching fish yesterday but they had a pretty good buzz last night and it had slowed a bit.

Minnesota was a no show so we will be using her for the weekend.

Now that I'm all caught up I will be fishing on and off all weekend looking for good areas to move the fleet'

Arizona is a 5 man sleeper, It's on loan so I will not be adding alot of ammeneties at this time.

were pretty busy this week but the weeknd of the 6th is kinda bleek at this time

Had a great time with cookie again. very good fishing on tues. Lots of slot fish, mostly 17 to 18 in. I will be contacting you again for another trip. Thanks joes group

Never new how you did but when I showed up at dusk I had 3 keepers in 5 minutes. It was kinda funny Keith gave me two so all I needed was two when my second fish was on the rattle wheel went off and I was over my limit by accident. Oops

Reading Cookie's post only makes me think of one thing.... WOLF PACK from the Hangover movie... and then there were 4

Wow what a fun weekend. It sure is nice to have such greatfishing after last years feeasko.

Blake and Barb went home a day early as they had all there fish 16 with the kids. I then put my free guys in florida Hookedoncass and Al and they also went home with there ;limit.

Jake was up with his family and found 6 good fishing spots .He got possessed with one area and kept going back there. He ended up guideing 3 groups to that spot and payed for his trip up here. The 4 best fishermen I know not in any paticular order are.Wayne,The greek,jake and tyler from bear paw. Jake easly caught over a hundred fish being mobil. Heres a pic of there second morning scoutting a area .They got all these in lessfull-1934-15692-406365_331038186915662_1

then a hour.

her a pic of blair and barbs families catch.

Jonny and the wifes sister came up and they fished minnesota. They had there keepers in no time.

Cade and his group were in montana and they also did well with fletcher catching one this bigfull-1934-15696-408018_331132380239576_1

The winds picked up yesterday and man was it blowing around.Ther are drifts 4 feet high around the houses and today my goal is to move 4 of the 5

"Florida" was comfortable(even with 30 mph winds), and had everything you need for icefishing. Now I can say...I was in FLORIDA icefishing for newyears eve. laugh

Thank-you Cookie!

We had a great fishfry, and took our limit of good keepers home. 5 of our 8 fish were 16 to 16 3/4 inchers.....really nice fish. The other three were 14-14 1/2-15....no dinks in the bunch. We got 10 perch, as well as a few small eyes, and several overs up to 21 1/4 inches. Rattle reels were hot between 2 am and 7 am, with small frosties or plain glow hooks , all with fatheads. Jigging worked at times during the daylight, but suptlier presentations put more on the ice for us. I'll try to add a couple pics. BIG THANKS to COOKIE!!!full-986-15700-dsc02853.jpg

full-986-15701-dsc02837.jpg

full-986-15702-dsc02842.jpg