Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
PhilTickelson

First time at the Rainy River

DRAGFOOT

Im heading out at 5:30 tomorrow morning, but looks like the wind machine is gonna crank up according to weather.com. But weather underground says it will still be tollerable. I was hoping to fish out of Zipple bay during the day and the rainy in the evening...we'll see how it goes, at least I am getting away from the rat race!!

local laker

Good luck guys,please post how the fishing is.thanks.

crappieflop2010

headin up saturday morning. stayin at clemetson resort. if they aint snaappin on the river we hope to get out to the lake. sounds like they are biting by the gap. i look forward to this week every year. i'll post how we do also.

jwmiller33

Definitely head out to the gap if you can. The jig bite is on fire right now. I think the water temp is still a little high before the river bite will pick up and be as good or better than the lake bite.

Zaraspooks

Leaving tonight also. Plan on hitting the Gap area or further out depending on wind. Putting in at Wheelers Point access with a white Ranger 619. Staying at Lakeroad Lodge. Good luck!!

DRAGFOOT

Unless you have a good sized boat, it might be pretty tough to get any fishing in near the gap in the lake friday and maybe saturday. By the looks of things, I will be stuck on the river with my 18 foot lund super skiff.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fgf/?n=lake_fcst_low

jwmiller33

If the wind is howling out there, then I would fish in Four Mile Bay or just around the corner from Four Mile Bay/into the River. I also heard this past weekend from a few different guys that there was a pretty good evening bite by the wind sock the other night. There is also one really good spot I always hit just off the dock downriver from Wheelers Pt's bar. It is almost always good for a few fish.

fishuhalik

just heard a great sturg report. might be headed up, fingers crossed for finding a babysitter...

JRS1022

Looking to head up the first weekend in November for the fall run. With the cooler temps expected in the forecast, will that time be a bit too late? Any input would be great, thanks.

tacklejunkie

Looking to head up the first weekend in November for the fall run. With the cooler temps expected in the forecast, will that time be a bit too late? Any input would be great, thanks.

Not at all!!

In fact, I'll be up there at that time

JRS1022

Nice! Never done the fall run, only the spring, and I know how much the spring bite depends on water clarity, weather, ect. Had a group of 8 guys going until they all realized it was deer opener. Oh well, more fish for the three non deer hunters, that will be hunting walleyes instead! I'll be in a green and tan 1850 Tyee tacklejunkie if ya see us give a wave!

DRAGFOOT

Fished on friday afternoon by wabanica church and got skunked and cold and wind burned. Got up friday and went out of zipple bay and got our limit for 3 guys in relativly short order plus a few big perch for a bonus. Just about swamped the boat in the wind/waves, but the fishing was almost the best I've ever had. Talked with some people that did better in the river closer towards town and clementson, but the word was that it was pretty slow on our end. Closed up the cabin and put the boats away, time to think about snowmobiling, but I'll be back in 6 months!

PhilTickelson

We had a rough time out there on Friday/Saturday. Wind was bad on Friday which meant there were a ton of boats in the river. Got kind of fed up with trying for walleye in the horde of boats so we tried for sturgeon instead. Caught a few, nothing big though. It was the first sturgeon either of us had ever caught though, so it made us happy. Tried to head down river towards Baudette but realized it would be heck driving back into the wind, only made it about a mile or two from Wheeler's point and turned around. Driving back into the wind was pretty nasty, our 16' boat with 25 horse was having a hard time going into those waves and that wind. Got real wet but made it back safely. Wind basically pinned us in between wheeler's point and the wind sock, enjoyed getting tossed around by other people's wakes every 10 seconds...

Saturday was cold and still too windy for us to try out by the gap, stuck in the river again. Wouldn't have been AS many boats, but there was some tournament going on in the river so it was just as busy. Found a spot and got a lot of Sauger action for awhile, but after catching one fish for every 4-5 little bites we decided to go for sturgeon again. We probably could have limited out on 12-13" saugers had we stayed there. That spot was probably a mile down river from the windsock, along some reeds on the US side, about 24 feet of water.

Overall I had a lot of fun, my friend and I enjoyed every minute of it, even if the fishing wasn't awesome. None of the bait shops had crawlers, so our sturgeon bait was limited to sticking a bunch of frozen shiners on a hook, but I'm not sure if it would have made a difference.

Thanks again for all the advice from people on here!

Hillbiehle

I might be wrong...I hope I am as I would like to target sturgeon; but I was thinking the sturgeon season was closed. If the sturgeon season is closed don't sweat as people make mistakes.

maxpower17

Quote:
LAKE STURgEON

April 24-May 7 and July 1-Sept. 30

1 per license year. (Fish must be 45-50", inclusive, or

over 75".) Immediately upon reducing a fish to possession, you must validate and attach your sturgeon tag.

Harvested sturgeon must be registered within 48 hours. See page 55 for more details

May 8-May 15 and Oct. 1, 2011- April 23, 2012

Catch-and-release only. (No tag needed.)

From page 50 of the 2010 MN reg book.

crappieflop2010

got back tuesday night from the river. fished from saturday to tuesday morning.

Saturday as you heard was really windy. went out of vidas and caught a few right away then it slowed way down fished from noon to about 630 and kept 5 eyes.

Sunday got up and went out to frontier. waether was worse in my opinion. fished all day and kept 5.

Monday was cold again. and rainy which really sucked. oh and it was windy. we fished solid from 9 to 6, basically froze all day and it made it really tough. we only kept 4.

Went out tuesday morning and it was still windy with some flurries. we fished till noon and kept two really nice fish.

All of the fish we kept were really nice. between 15 and 19. we didnt catch any big ones. my uncle and i had to leave while the rest of the group, probably about 10 or so people, got to stay the rest of the week. the last two days they've been able to get out on the lake and have done really well. limits both days.

Overall we had a blast. we got to eat fish and bring home our limits. (thanks to our two fish tuesday morning) i would say gold and black worked the best for us, and we tried all colors. we used live shiners. one thing i noticed was the water clarity was not good. im assuming the wind has stirred up a lot of stuff from the bottom. not sure if that had anything to do with it but its possible. my dad has been going up there for the last 25 years and hasnt missed one year and i've been goin up the last 15 with a few misses. its almost my favorite time of the year. behind deer hunting. even tho we didnt pound em im already excited for next year!

tacklejunkie

Shiners and gold jigs on the river in the fall........perfect.

Flurries, eh?