Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Musky_Madness

Is Miltona a no wake lake currently?

Musky_Madness

Is there a no wake in effect lakewide?

pushbutton

Do not believe Miltona is on the list.....for the lakes that are, there is a no wake within 300 ft of shore.

walleyeman1

The 20 lakes protected include: Lakes Jessie, Burgen, Victoria, Geneva, L’Homme Dieu, Carlos, Darling, Cowdry, Brophy, Latoka, Ida, Mary, Andrew, Maple, Oscar, Rachel, Lobster, Mill, Irene and Red Rock.

Musky_Madness

k thanks!

pjwalleye1

Walleyeman1 - thanks - where did you get that list of lakes, as I was up on LeHommeDieu this past week, water higher than I've seen in 25 years and there were 'plenty' of boaters with big wakes tooling around, along with the Douglas County Sheriff out Sat and Sunday - didn't see him pull anyone over because of wakes. The destruction of lakeshore, retaining walls, etc. is incredible. Peace. Out.

pushbutton

I found it earlier on the Alexandria Echo Press's website. Only had my cell phone and getting too old to remember all 20 names wink While the ordinance has been passed, the Douglas County is not going to go gangbusters and start issuing tons of tickets, more of a "awareness presence" at this time. They have a fine line to walk between the lakeshore owners and the tourism business. Hopefully the word will get out and some people will use more common sense and slow down when by shore. You can still rip it up and have fun, just do so in the middle of the lake!

mamohr686

I've got a question. If the lakeshore home owners are so concerned about their property, why are half of the docks on the chain underwater? Are people too lazy to raise them up, or do they want them damaged so they can collect an insurance check? I know there are lots of people from out of town that may have not been able to check on the cabin, but seriously I see people walking out and using docks that are 3-5 inches under the water. They've been that way for over 2 weeks.

pushbutton

I am sure laziness is part of it, so is putting it off hoping the water goes down, would think lack of knowledge and equipment to do it as well, and no doubt some poles are already maxed out; also, ironically, some people probably don't want to fork over the money to have a company come out a raise them with so little time left in the season. Pretty sure act of god clauses preclude collecting on insurance.

Not trying to be an apologist for the home owners. When a lot of the native trees, shrubs, grasses are replaced with sod and rip rap, many of the shoreline aquatic weeds have been removed(something that would help buffer the effects of wave erosion), then you add a major rain pattern, the likes of which many have never seen.....there are going to be issues with property on and close to the lakes and rivers. It is kind of like living in the South East and wondering why your beach house got leveled by a hurricane. You can be upset and discouraged, but it is part of the gig living on water.

Regardless, there is plenty of blame to go around, and at this point the blame game really does not do anyone any good. The erosion of the shorelines does not benefit anyone. So hopefully, homeowners will take some steps that help restore a more natural setting, even though that may impact the usability of their property; and hopefully the non homeowners will use some common sense when it comes to how much they disturb the shoreline while enjoying our public waterways.