• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Portable stand recomendations

Mr. Twister

I am new to archery hunting and am planning to buy a new portable stand. I am planning on hunting a mixture of public and private lands so I will have to carry it in and out on each trip. I am assuming that the weight is definately going to be a factor. What does everybody think about climbing stands vs a normal hanging stand? If not using a climber what kind of steps do you recomend? Thanks any and all advice is apprciated.

Eric

Bunch of threads on this. I am new to bowhunting, so can't give advice. But after reading much and getting inptu from folks here and reviews, and prices, I got a Viper climber. Going to try it out this weekend to test climb it smile Not the "best" but most seem to like it, based on comfort and value and ease of use. I shall see wink

Good luck!

I prefer a non-climbing stand when I can hang it and leave it. That way when I come back in the woods, I make a lot less noise.

If you are going to haul it in and out all the time then a climber would be better. I've only owned one climber and it was too noisy for me but I think the newer ones are better. I really like Lone Wolf stand but they are pricey and I've never used one of their climbers.

I've got a Summit and like if for comfort/safety but the weight and noise is kind of an issue for me others don't mind it. I've been looking at the LW as they collapse better and don't hang up on the brush when walking through the woods like my Summit and there allot lighter. Check out the Ol'Man climber in there aluminum frame I think it's about 18# and can pack nice and tight to your back. Good luck in your search but make a list of your top neccesary needs in the climber; weight, noise, ease of use, comfort, and cost.

mr

one hang on 2 set os steps or climbing sticks leave the stetps in/on the tree, and just hang the stand. take a look at Loc On tree stands light and go up easy.

I agree with most if you can afford it get a climber if you are going to pack it in each time you hunt. One stand can be pricey but if that is all you have and take it with you each time then to me, that is the way to go. If you think about getting 3-4 hang on stands and steps the price gets pretty comparable to some of the more expensive climbings stands.

Things to look for in a stand: Price yes, it all depends on you hunting budget. Summit and Lone wolf seem like good stands. I have used a summit stand and I did like it. Lone wolf seems like a really good stand from what others have said, but price would be the the biggest detour for me. Yes, they do seem expensive but you're buying quality with those types of stands. Each company has a history of excellence. Another thing to keep in mind is comfort. If it is a stand that has a poor seat cushion or is to small in general it will be very hard to sit still or sit for long periods of time.

If you are looking to pack in a hang on stand with steps look for weight for both. 20 lbs doesn't sound like a lot until you're up in the tree trying to hang it up, then it can seem like a lot. The larger size stands weight around 20 lbs but you get a few more inches of room for your feet.

My lightest combination is a Gorilla Scout Hang on stand and Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks. Together they weight around 18 pounds and I can set them up in about 10 minutes. I use a ratchet strap to tie both together when going out to a site and the the ratchet strap I put on my stand once it is hanging to get that added benefit of an extra strap holding my tree stand up. The long wolf sticks you can get a set of 3 for around 130 and the gorilla stand I believe is around 110 I could be a little off on the prices of each. The steps will get you to about 12 feet up a tree. You can purchase additional sticks for around 50 but again that adds a little more weight on. Also, keep in mind what else you are going to pack in, ie water, a knife, safety harness, rope, additional clothing, etc, all can add more weight on.

If I were to just go with one stand I think I would go with a climbing stand and learn to deal with the noise of it. I am sure with practice of setting it up and taking it down you could get pretty good at minimizing how much noise you made setting it and taking it down. Keep the size and weight of whatever you get keep in mind as you have to carry it in and out each time you hunt.

Good luck hunting this fall

I have a Summit Viper. Always liked the comfort and ease to climb, but at first I thought it was hard to carry and noisy to set up. The more I used it the better it got. I learned a much better way to carry it. I don't use the back pack straps. I got much better at setting it up to climb. It's my absolute go to stand. You find a spot, climb the tree and theres a hunting spot. Allows you to not over hunt an area as it's easy to bring from spot to spot. Bring a folding saw to cut small limbs with climbers it will make your life a lot easier.

I've only used a climber once that I burrowed from somebody else just to try, it was quick to get up the tree, but it got caught on everything when I was carrying it in and needing a perfect tree really limited where I could hunt. I really like hang-ons for their versatility. I throw 8-10 strap on steps in my bag and I can quickly and quietly get up any tree I want no matter how many limbs, big/small, or straight the tree is.

A lone wolf climber makes very little noise. If you can pick out your trees a head of time and trim what needs to be done.

I have one and love it, but I also got a lone wolf hang on and 4 sticks.

Quick, simple and pretty fast to hang up, plus you don't need a straight tree with few sticks.

Not sure what type of budget you are on, or what type of trees you got to go with, I would stick with a stick and hang on combo. May be a tad heavier, but you won't have the problems of finding a perfect tree or cutting tons of limbs and making noise.

I would use the lone wolf sticks, and then depending on your cash flow find a portable that agrees with that.

Also if your owner would allow you to leave a stand on private they have the rivers edge bigfoots on sale for $50 bucks at mills fleet farm right now. Nice stands but a little bulky for a true run and gun set up. Then you could leave that up on the private and have another for state land.

I have always tried to hunt out of a stand that is already posted in the morning and use a hang on in the afternoon but look to switch to a climber this year. I sweat thinking about being hot so by the time my hang on is up and I'm ready to hunt I am sweaty. I do have friends that climb like monkeys and will only hunt hang ons. I am more of a land creature though.

I live in the northwoods so I usually have a tree. Other then maybe not having a tree they are more convenient and cause less disturbance than a hang on in my opinion. I can say my climber has improved my success greatly as I don't have to disturb an area hanging a stand. I use my hang ons and ladder stands for my traditional and off season scouted spots. In season I don't like to be walking around where I might want to hunt. Grab my climber, walk in, find decent deer sign, and climb a tree. Some of my best hunts have been that way. Allows you to bounce around so you don't burn a spot out.

Love my 14 pound Summit OpenShot!

Once you figure out how to tie it together it won't make much if any sound when carrying it. Same goes for attaching it to the tree and climbing it. With a little practice and a hand saw, you'll be a stealthy assassin!

However, my overweight hunting buddy can't use the Openshot because its a "hand" climber. He got the Viper and has no problem climbing a tree now.

Always wear a safety harness and in no time you can feel comfortable 30 feet in the air.

Snapcrackpop, I also have a Summit Open Shot climber. I'm curious as to how you tie it together. I use the green cinch strap that came with it. It works pretty well at keeping the noise and movement down, but wondering if you know of an even better way? Thanks.

I have numerous climbing stands and also the hang ons. I have the climbing sticks but I do not use them hardly at all. I do not mind using the screw in steps. Only issue with the screw in steps is that one can heat up and get a bit sweaty from getting them in the tree.

I also have 2 ground blind and they work well in some locations.

For me, my Lone Wolf is a dandy. Most of the guys I hunt with have the LW stands but 2 have the Summit and they seem to be a solid stand also.

The LW climbers are rock solid and very quiet.

I would say I have went from the hang ons to the climbers and rarely ever use a hang on anymore. I thiunk I may have 3 hang ons left and I gave away about 6 hang ons to friend who were just getting started as I did not need that many stands.

I use to put up 4-8 hang ons in the woods so I could hunt about anywhere when the wind was different or I wanted to change locations due to over hunting 1 area. Since I started using the climbers, that's all I use and I carry them in and out.

Seems I can always find a tree to climb into.

If the climbers are not in your bugdet, I would suggest to get a good hang on and I would wait to buy a better climber.

I do own a couple River's Edge hang on's with the foot rest in the front and they seem to be a very comfortable stand and pretty quiet. Price is not too bad on them either.

If your always going to carry in your climber, go with the alum stands as they are so much lighter.

Don't forget to look into a safety harness for the tree.

Boy I have a lot of great advice here. I am currently leaning toward getting a The Summit Viper Ultra from cabelas. Does anybody want to talk me out of it before I buy. It seems to get great reviews on Cabelas Web site.

Thanks again!

Summits are great stands I don't own that model but have other summits and I'm very happy with them.

I also see Fleet Farm has River Edge 13' ladder stands designed to be broken down and packed around on your back. They weigh 33 pounds, which is a bit but not all that much if you're just moving them around some on private land. Much easier to move frequently than a traditional ladder stand I would bet. And on a game cart it would be a breeze. I am looking into one of those to see how it works. I doubt you'd want to spend all day in one but I rarely do anyway. My all day hunts during late October and early November are usually in a comfy ladder stand or blind. Good luck!

Rangerguy

I cheated a little bit by purchasing the Summit foam tape for a couple spots... but I tie the Summit sections together at the bottom of the Vs and lace the nylon strap over the seat, under the seat arms and then around the platform. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

Mrtwister

Im looking at getting a second climber and I'll either get the cheapest Summit with a bar or I'm leaning towards the Goliath with the 2" wider section. This second one will be for late season when I'm wearing lots of layers and want more room. Plus I think the wider top section will allow the 2Summit sections to "nest" together for carrying. But for archery nothing beats the openshot.

Hey Snapcrackpop

What features make the Open Shot so great for archery hunting?

Thanks

Eric

2011-08-16_07-19-52_949-1.jpg

Other than tying the 2 Vs together and the foam tape, this is the best way to keep my stand quiet.

Hey Snapcrackpop

What features make the Open Shot so great for archery hunting?

Thanks

Eric

As an owner of both the Open Shot and the Viper, I would suggest sticking with the Viper. The weight difference is negligible between the two, and you will really appreciate the front bar on the Viper for climbing and for comfort/ease of use in the stand. The Open Shot does allow you the potential to shoot out of a seated position, but I find that it is still limited due to the side "walls" and that in most cases people prefer to shoot while standing. The negative of the open front on the Open Shot is that because there is no bar and because the sides don't extend out very far, I find it difficult for me to climb with and I am still a pretty young guy. I exert way more energy climing in the Open Shot (arm, upper body and core strength - think lock armed raised crunches where you bring your knees to your chest to lift foot platform) vs. the Viper (sit and lift foot platform). I can't stress enough how much I appreciate the front bar for climbing on the Viper especially when you want to stay cool and scent free.

Quote:

...The Open Shot does allow you the potential to shoot out of a seated position, but I find that it is still limited due to the side "walls" and that in most cases people prefer to shoot while standing...

I think you ment "Viper" there.

But I agree that it takes more energy to climb with the Openshot, but I can do it without breaking a sweat. As they say, "your mileage may vary."

If you need a lightweight to carry long distances I'd pick the Openshot, ..... if you're concerned about being fit enough to climb with it go with one with a climbing bar. That's why im interested in getting another... when I'm loaded up in late season with heavy clothes and a backpack I feel the strain of my biceps at the elbows.

I feel the difference between a 14 pound climber and a 20 pound one.

Point to remember with the viper. With the front bar make sure you practice draw as if a deer was to walk underneath you to make sure your cam and limbs clear the bar. Learned that one the hard way. You may have to pull your foot platform up a bit.

For your first stand i would definately go with a strap on. You can use just about any tree you find plus many companies are starting to make some that are very light. With a strap on stand I also prefer the climing sticks but for carry in/ carry out some screw in steps will work just fine. I have a Summit Viper, it is great but I know that I can't use it everywhere. I really like the stands from Muddy outdoors. They are light, comfortable and designed by the right folks that know what they are doing.

Jason Erlandson

"...The Open Shot does allow you the potential to shoot out of a seated position, but I find that it is still limited due to the side "walls" and that in most cases people prefer to shoot while standing..."

I think you ment "Viper" there.

But I agree that it takes more energy to climb with the Openshot, but I can do it without breaking a sweat. As they say, "your mileage may vary."

If you need a lightweight to carry long distances I'd pick the Openshot, ..... if you're concerned about being fit enough to climb with it go with one with a climbing bar. That's why im interested in getting another... when I'm loaded up in late season with heavy clothes and a backpack I feel the strain of my biceps at the elbows.

I feel the difference between a 14 pound climber and a 20 pound one.

No, I mean Open Shot. With the Viper, you really can't count on trying to shoot from a sitting position due to the front bar. Even on the Open Shot, shooting from a seated position is limited to shots that are mostly straight in front of you because the open shot has "side bars" that extend past where the seat is.

As to the ability to climb with the two stands, I still think that the Open Shot is far too difficult to climb with than is necessary, and it really has little to do with physicl conditioning (which is a small part of it), and more to do with ease of use, stealth, and safety. My biggest complaint is that if you have any amount of warm or bulky clothing on, it becomes cumbersome and more prone to noise (not to mention more physically exerting to climb). If they simply made the area on the side bar larger where you place your hands climbing would be a whole lot easier. I find that it is not very ergonomically designed for climbing. I think they may also have a removable or swinging front climbing bar, which would make that stand much easier to use.

All in all, both are good stands, but I would choose the Viper 99 times out of 100 in hunting situations based on personal experience, with the best case scenario being a stand that is a crossover of the two (which I believe they may be making now - a swiveling or moveable front bar).

I grab onto the V when climbing, even added some cloth tape to it for comfort. Unless wearing winter clothing and a backpack, it's a piece of cake to climb IMO; heck, my 11 can do it all by himself.

Lots said about the viper. I own one and an API Grand Slam.

I like the API so much better then the Viper.

Much quieter, grips the tree way better.

Both are comfy.