Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
anchor man

Spinner Rig Design

anchor man

Has anyone ever tried making a spinner rig and putting the spinner say 6 inches up the line away from the hook, instead of right near the hook with a few beads? I sometimes wonder if the spinner itself might actually deter some light biting walleyes that come in for a sniff and don't like a face full of spinner near the bait. I know these rigs are usually for more aggresive fish, that aren't lite biting, but just a thought I've pondered for a while.

Sifty

Just a guess but I would think the problem would be line twist.

Sifty

boec0020

I do it...it works. Sometimes I run two blades on a single rig. Sometimes they like it right next to the hook, sometimes 18" away.

mainbutter

I've bought rigs in the past that had the spinner way up away from the hook. Worked quite well.

Northlander

I have never noticed a difference. If fish arent hitting a spinner than I go less agressive and try lindy's or jigs. I tie all my spinners so that the blade is at least 1 bead away from the hook. I want all that hook exposed so the fish can get to it freely.

Another option is Macs smiley blades or spin n glows wich can be trolled slower.

gregg52

i've always thought cow bells were a good design

but never used them..lol

have to tie up a couple and try them

specially for northens i think more than on spinner would be good

reinhard1

i tie all my own rigs. i dont go with single hook spinner rigs for minnows anymore. i want the minnow to stay alive of course but i tie on what you could call a stinger hook which i very lightly stick just under the meaty part of the tail as i slowly troll it. i use this rig a lot on rice lake res. with all the weeds at times i will find a opening and anchor at the head of the opening and cast this rig and slowly reel it in. most of the time they are hooked right away. with the single hook spinner rig i used in the past i would have to give them a little more time. with the two hook system i can realease more fish for they are often hooked in the upper lip/jay. good luck.