• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wat are ya gona slay the beast with?

Boar

Gonna have my baby boar shoot this year with the smoke pole. Shes pretty pumped been at the range an she gonna come baiting. Might have it video'd too. Wat yoiu guys using this year? Boar

Thinking I am going to take out the 06, that is what I will scare the beast with whistle. I have also thought about the old 12ga too.

Jumping out of a tree on top of it with a knife in my mouth and see what happens smile trying to decide rifle or 12 gauge I saw a video my buddy Shot a bear with slug and hit what looked like a good shot just behind front leg 1/3 way up body and no blood or no bear... But I keep reading bigger diameter the better, so I'm torn between 30 cal that will go through anything in its way or 72cal slug that makes bigger hole.

This will be my 14th year with the bow. I took a year off and tried one with the smoke pole a while back, but it wasn't the same rush as getting the bow drawn for me.

A 100 grain slick trick half way back on the ribs with a quartering away shot and out in front of the off side shoulder.

Wifes shooting her little 44rem mag ruger carbine 240 grain XTP...

She dumps'em at the site last couple just backed the trailer right to em...

Muthagoose, those are great little guns. I have one that I'm mounting a reflex sight on for a combination deer/ hog gun. I'm looking for an add-on comb for the stock since the sight is kind of high and I like the cheek weld, but I'm pretty excited about it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

First hunt and gonna try the bow.

If it's your first ever Bear hunt, do yourself a favor and bring your gun to camp as well. I know a few people who setup a really close stand for a bow and the next night. Moved their stand back and had a gun in their hand. shocked We all get Mucho until we get out in the woods when it's getting dark miles from no where. grin

I shot my first bear ever with a bow. One friend took a bow bear for his first ever big game animal. Bear hunting over bait is made for archery. You know where the bear is going, you have plenty of time to look them over and calm down, and you can position the bait for a good quartering shot. A few bits of advice for the new bear bowhunters...don't give yourself a really steep shot angle. For a 20 yard shot I don't want to be any higher that 14 feet up or so. I've seen plenty of bears lost to guys who want to put the stand 25 feet up and 15 yards off because they don't want to get too close to the bears and the overestimate distance to the stand tree when putting the bait out. If you one lung a bear good luck finding them. With that thick hair they don't put down blood like a deer. Throw a pistol in the backpack for the walk out if you are new to the bear woods. It's a long walk out when you've passed on a sow with cubs and know she is somewhere in the inky dark as you walk out.

I am going to use the crossbow this year. I want to harvest a bear with every leagal weapon allowable. I have left to use a pistol long bow/recurve and a crossbow. I cant wait to see their eyes stairing me down as I sit still in the ground blind ten yards from the bait. Nothing gives a better rush than hunting bear eye to eye on the ground. Good luck to all in what every they use. Just remember two holes in a bear is a dead bear.

Dangit ya beat me to it, cant get mine outa layawya till after season. grin But doing the same thing, just got pistol cross bow recurve an longbow to go. Good luck. Outdoor.

Was going to use the .06 for my first ever bear, but didn't get drawn. Have to try again next year...

if i would of been drawn i would of used the bow. my first and only bear was with bow and didnt go 30yds that was a rush maybe next year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.