• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If you had $2k to spend...

With all the talk of "exotic" calibers and wildcats... $2K isn't going to get you very far. Then... what about glass? For a ethical 600 yard shot, you will need to see your aim point. For me, that says 10x minimum. My eyes are a bit weak so that may be different for you young'uns.

Has anyone mentioned the time honored .300 Win Mag? A new Rem 700 P (police) may run about $800 to $900 or so. Drop at least that into glass and you'll still have a few hundo left over for ammo or handloading components.

With my last 700P, in .300WM, using 180 grain or heavier bullets... I'd have no issues taking that 600 yard shot from a sturdy rest. Using 207gr. Amax's even farther.

I'm curious... For those with ballistics software, run the numbers for a 26", 1:10 twist barrel, using a basic 200 grain partition, pushed at a slow 3000fps at the muzzle. What's your down range energy at 600 yards?

Are we still above 1000 lb/ft? I'm going to guess closer to 2000 lb/ft...

With all the talk of "exotic" calibers and wildcats... $2K isn't going to get you very far. Then... what about glass? For a ethical 600 yard shot, you will need to see your aim point. For me, that says 10x minimum. My eyes are a bit weak so that may be different for you young'uns.

Has anyone mentioned the time honored .300 Win Mag? A new Rem 700 P (police) may run about $800 to $900 or so. Drop at least that into glass and you'll still have a few hundo left over for ammo or handloading components.

With my last 700P, in .300WM, using 180 grain or heavier bullets... I'd have no issues taking that 600 yard shot from a sturdy rest. Using 207gr. Amax's even farther.

I'm curious... For those with ballistics software, run the numbers for a 26", 1:10 twist barrel, using a basic 200 grain partition, pushed at a slow 3000fps at the muzzle. What's your down range energy at 600 yards?

Are we still above 1000 lb/ft? I'm going to guess closer to 2000 lb/ft...

I was thinking .300WM as well, but went with the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag.

ammo cost has to be taken into consideration here: you are going to need considerable trigger time to pull off a 600 yard shot. Look at the training our military puts into their sniper programs. Wildcat's even the weatherby magnums, will get very expensive during the practice sessions, determining a go to round with handloads will take time as well. I haven't checked ammo prices this fall but I am sure they are still up there.

Keep spending your buddies cash, it's fun ain't it?

Tell him to spend his money building a few new stands and try to pattern the deer a little better.

Nate, you're ruining the fun.

I was thinking that $2k (plus, say, $1k more for optics) buys lots of lumber and trail cams.

So I got internet at my house (just moved this weekend) and this is the info for those lazaroni bullets. Absolutely amazing and I really want one now...

Rifles

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_rifles.htm

Long Magnums

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lacart.htm

So they might be a little more than the $2k he was looking to spend, but wow, these things are incredible. A little spendy (understatement!) but incredible.

Tell him to spend his money building a few new stands and try to pattern the deer a little better.

That is too simple......you need the lastest gear to kill a Buck with a MASSIVE RACK!

You are not a true hunter until you have a wall full of MASSIVE RACKS!!!!!!

wink

No need to spend big money on a custome rifle. What comes off the shelf these dasys is better than what you could get at a custom shop 15 years ago. I'd look at a .300 WSM or a 300 Win Mag in a Remington or Winchester Bolt action. I'd spend some money having the trigger worked on, and then I'd spend the rest on quality optics and mounts. There is nicer stuff out there, but I buy Leupold scopes and rings and my setups are more accurate than I am by a good stretch. If your friend doesn't reload I'd steer him towards the 300 Win Mag as there is more ammo available.

I just purchased a Tika T3 in 300 wsm for long range shooting and I cant say how happy that I am with it. I would say that I have ruffly a thousand rounds through it and am just getting comfortable shooting over 500yards with it. I reload a lot of my shells and use a good buddy over at federal to get discounts on loads also.

As for the 7.62x51mm Nato In ramadi during the Iraq war Sept 27th 2005, an Army Staff SGT shot and killed an enemy insurgant at 1,250m or 1,367 yards with an M24 or also known as a Remington Model 700 in 308

Or the longest shot I can find was with a 338 Lapua Magnum by a UK soldier using a L115A3 long range rifle. Shot and kill was 2,475m or 2707 yards.

Just for kicks the longest .50 bmg recorded kill is 2,430 m (2,657 yd)

Tought I would give you some food for thought.

I agree, a new gun is a good thing. Especially if you can spend your buddy's money to buy it! grin

If you go conventional calibers (300 wsm) take a good hard look at the savage with the accutrigger. Will not be the prettiest gun on the range, but it will not need the trigger work that winchester and remington's always seem to need, at least from what I have read.

What is your buddy leaning towards right now anyway?

so far, he's leaning towards the .257. he said he's strongly considering just throwing caution to the wind and buying the lazzaroni (goodness knows he has the $ for it!) but i think he's gonna end up with some kind of custom .257

A well made custom .257 is a thing of beauty and perfectly adequate for deer and antelope in the hands of a careful shooter. A well built 6mm or 6.5mm has been in the "must have" stable of many renowned hunters for a hundred years. I have seen some absolutely GORGEOUS little rifles in .257 and 6mm.

PS Similar cartridges/loads.

Does he reload?

Because long distance accuracy is a result of reloads, the caliber choice determines only if its got enough "oompf " left.

Justsayn.

• 1 month later...

just to update you guys, if you still care, he ended up going with the lazarroni. $11k after optics and 200rds and a 12 month wait for the gun. must be rough! ya, a little more than the $2k he was planning on originally...

WOW!!!!!! I am not sure if I could walk to the deer stand with that much cash sitting in my hands........I can't wait for next year for the update.......

Just a question since assult rifles were brought up and thats the route I would go. Dont you need a handgun permit or something like that?

You need a "permit to purchase". Just go down to your local police (or sheriff's office if you are rural) and ask for the paperwork required for a permit to purchase. No fee for this. Give them the completed forms and in about 10 days or so you'll have a little card that you need to present to the gun dealer when buying an AR or handgun. The card is good for one year and when it expires you do it all over again.

You can also download the forms off the internet to save a trip. MN Permit To Purchase/Transfer .pdf

If you already have a permit to carry it also works as a permit to purchase, but not vice versa. smile

I have shot a .338 Edge at 1100 yards in Idaho. Would absolutely love to blow someones money on that! My question is what type of terrain is he hunting in northen Minnesota to have a 600 yard shot? My only concern when I hear these long range shots, cool as they are and they are COOL, how many follow up to see if they killed the animal? If this is a 600 yard swamp shot is he going to cross the swamp and verify the kill or make the excuses to avoid the walk? Hate to be a buzz kill, but I hear guys taking pot shots across the swamp by me all the time but never see anyone looking for downed game. I would do as others mentioned and look for better stand placement. Now if this is Colorado with good light, bang bang baby!!