• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What to look for???

picksbigwagon

Bear hunters: what do I need to look for as I head to the woods later this fall for grouse hunting? I seriously do not like ruining other peoples hunts out in the woods so when I pull off to do some hunting either on state land or county owned land, what things do should I look for when it comes to not "ruin" your day in the field.

I have run into bow hunters who have thanked us for moving the deer around some, and a few bow hunters who were not pleased we were there. I will usually look into the vehicles in the parking lot for an indication as to what kind of fellow sportsmen were out there. But what in the woods should we be looking for. We rarely grouse hunt with a dog, someday I will have a dog, so we do a lot of walking. I have come across a few bait sites after the season, but there is that overlap in the early fall.

By the horrible smell! grin

You're on about checking out vehicles. Trailers during that time are a good indication with 5 gallon buckets. Not all but quit a few bear hunters use ATV's, so those parked along trails help. Signs are posted but by then we've already met!

But most importantly-it's a public woods so don't feel bad! I do what I can also not to disrupt fellow outdoorsmens but when we mask ourselves in camo from head to toe...we're going to run into somebody. Just be respectfull on both ends.

Most hunters on public land have no problems with runnning into fellow hunters as long as they don't behave unethical and ruin your hunt.

One thing to look for is a well matted down trail, thats obvious not made by an animal , generally wide, many trips back an forth will really be noticable, probabley leading off a four wheeler trail or walking trail, after five weeks of baiting, they stick out like a sour thumb, an to peopel that dont know it just "hey wheres this nice wide trial lead to"

those are things that spark my investigative interests, somethings stinky and look at that wide trail.....Keep em coming

were I hunt there is another group of hunters that postes up a note on the main entrance to let others know that there are bear hunters in the woods, Its more or less for the saftey of everyone.

What really got me one year was the atv riders going off the trail into the woods right next to me.

Some hunters will mark the entrance of their trail with ribbon so if there is a fresh ribbon it is a good chance there is a bear hunter in the area.

I have tought about besides putting my sign at the site but also to put one at my trail head to let people know about a bait site in the area, but fear that would spark curiosity an they would want to check it out. Have others done this besides an orange ribbon.