• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

where to shoot?

jay83196

I have heard a variety of opinions but am curious on what guys think that have shot a few. Where is best place to shoot a bear(with rifle or slug). I've heard just behind shoulder or also heard further back to get lungs?? High or low?

I aim right behind the shoulder an a little lower, right abouve the elbow where the lower leg meets the upper portion of the leg bone.

Thanks was just curious, where I aim also, just read something that read should be further back. I try to make best possible shot I can, so I wanted to hear from people to do it right.

A bears vitals are actually farther forward in the chest then a deers so nice and tight behind the shoulder, that's why when bowhunting you really want to wait for the quartering away shot so you can go behind the shoulder and come out in front of the opposite side.

Im not a gun hunter but Ive heard with a good slug you try and break the shoulder so they dont run off but get ready for the second shot. Anchor them down and dont let them go anywhere.

I think they tend to run further with a gun shot then a broadhead hole in the same spot due to the very loud bang.

Also wonder what's better rifle or shotgun? I recently read an article that the close range and high velocity smaller diameter bullet a rifle shoots isn't as effective as a slower bigger heavier slug? I know shot placement is key but all things being equal I am now unsure on using my 30-378 with 200gr nosler partition or 12 guage slug (rifled barrel with 78cal 500+ gr slug).

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

You can't beat a 12ga slug for bear. In rifle 30 cal on up can't be beat. IMHO some of the best bear rifles out there would be .35 Rem, 45-70 etc... With all this said smaller bullets leave smaller holes if you are going to cape it out for a nice rug. Personally I will be using my bow.

Okay, I wasn't familiar with the 30-378 Weatherby Magnum, but after looking on line, Man that round is a cannon....muzzle energy is 4400 foot pounds compared to a 12 gauage sabot (I used winchester supreme) 3086 foot pounds.....

But looking at the costs of the rounds, 12 ga. is definitely the most cost effectively way to go. I think either gun will do great on a bear. Can i ask what you usually use the 30-378 for?

I have never had to trail a Bear, with my tried and true, trusty 45-70; although, you need to hitm' where it hurts.

Jay I think weve read the same article, but i also think that the brand of slug a guys push is equally as important. Ive taken three bear with a 150 grain hornady interbond from ten ft to 35 yards, two of the tree slugs I have recoverd have been full mushroomed with little disintergration. Just a really nice plow horse thru a thick animal with heavy trauma. I really like My smoke pole with a 200 grain shockwave pushed by 100 grns tripple seven, that left a hole on 2 bear i could stick a small childs fist thru. After reading that article i was a little apprehensive to use my 06 again but remeberd the performance of the bullet left little doubt that its doin its job. id prefer a 180 grn interbond but bought the 150's cause they were out of 180's so im just waiting to go thru the box. high powerd rifle i feel is fine but matching it with the right bullet for the right animal is key.

I got it for hunting out west longer distance mule deer antelope etc, its very flat shooting I dropped a muley at almost 400yds in its tracks, not that a 30-06 couldnt also with a good shot. I have a place where I hunt white tail in mn and have 300-400yds shots I have used it for. Great gun loud but not much recoil with muzzle break. Does ton of damage and awesome penetration with barnes x bullets.

I as well , have over-thought ballistics and such. We as Bear hunters need to reaffirm that shot placement is the key to harvesting; stick or cartridge doesn't matter.

I have never had to trail a Bear, with my tried and true, trusty 45-70; although, you need to hitm' where it hurts.

That is the same rifle I use for bears those big soft points put the hammer down on the bears.

i totaly agree the shot placement is key, I shoulda worded my last post a little better, if a broad head or bullet isnt up for the task of a big thick hided, hairy hole pluggin, cinder block shoulderd animal, even if you hit the boiler room, the night might become a little longer. Just my 2 cents. Wont be long now, Yippeee!!!