• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long Lake Update?

Just wondering if anyone has an update for Long Lake in Park Rapids?

We normally catch a few walleye on cranks in 15 feet of water or with leeches on jigs. Any idea what depth the majority of the action is at? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

-Jake-

Jake,

We were on Long 2 weeks ago for our annual trip to the resort. This year was slow for us compared to previous years as far as the walleyes go. Only 6 were boated for the week using cranks. A few years ago we gave up on live bait rigs due to the frustration of the rock bass & sunnies stripping the rigs clean every time the rig was sent down.

Anyway, the walleyes we caught were found in around 13' of water moving at 2 to 2.3 mph just as full darkness was setting in. They seemed to love shad shaped cranks anything from perch to glass purpledescent. I think only one fish was caught on the good old #11 black/gold floater. The doggone rock bass were out performing the walleyes unfortunately..... They were really nailing the cranks and getting the back treble caught in their backs. They would then twirl around as one would crank them in leaving you to believe you had a good fish on..... One thing that I noticed this year was a lack of fish returns on the sonar in the 20-30' range where we normally see them. Not sure why they were not there. Usually I would see them there in the day, and they would be caught shallow in those areas at night.

We caught 2 northerns in the 20-25" range on cranks over the weeds just after dark , and lots of largemouths on cranks as well.

Overall, the weather was outstanding, a few fish were caught, and a wonderful time on Long was had by all!!! If you have any more questions I can try to help you out!!