• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear hunting guide/lodge - recommendations??

Long Gray Line

The wife said she wants a rug, so, I'm getting a bear hunting trip next fall! Gonna do this with a bow and so I'm looking for your recommendations for a bear lodge/guide/outfitter, probably up in Ontario. I've never hunted for bear w/ a bow, but the bow is no issue, I hit what I aim at out to 50 yards so I'm ok there. I need some place that's going to do the baiting, skinning and processing. I've never processed a bear and don't want to waste the meat with my on-the-job training. It'd be great to be at a place where I can fish the morning and hunt when the bears get active. Basically, not a fly-in rough-it outfitter for my first time. Where have you been that was good and I'd even like to know where to avoid. I've looked at the prices and it'll be an issue but comes 2nd after a quality outfitter!

Tks much,

Jeff

Lucas adams of gateway north outfitters is not to far abouve international falls. hes gota post on the canadian forum an can probabley reach him thru there. Got his email somewheres but have switched computers recently. ive been trying to get up there for a few years, seen some pics of some pumpkin heads hes got roaming around. I'd give hima jinggle. Great guy an knows his stuff. later boar

Avoid Golde Fawn on Fawn du lac lake. This place isnt for the beginner. Hereyou have to set up your stands run your own bait skin gut quarte etc. Its a bisic do it your self set up. They provide lodges, bait and pre baited sites. Its a good hunt but like you said not so much for the beginner. If you change your mind I know of some good minnesota bear guides that I can put you in contact with also. Good luck and any questions dont heitate to ask.

I have been to Lukinto Lake Lodge for the past several years, for fishing. It's located near Longlac Ontario. The fishing is phenomenal. I know last year their bear hunters had 100% success rate, but I also know that can fluctuate greatly depending on the berries that year and other factors. I'm not sure about what all that they provide but check out their website and give them a call.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Boar - Been busy baiting for the hunt. Here are a few trail cam pics from a couple new sites this year. We have packages to accommodate all your needs in a hunt with everything taken care of. We have had 100% success for over 8 years with multiple bears on basically every bait site. Have used around 5 tons of bait so far in the shaker barrels. We are taking reservations for the 2012 season. We also be offering some new more basic do it yourself packages in 2012, we will post more details after this years hunt.

MDGC0145.jpg

MDGC0171.jpg

PICT0117.jpg

PICT0130.jpg

OMG! Man your killing me lucas. Those are some awsome bear, good luck to your clients, man i just gota get up there. Have a good season lucas. later boar

im the last two pics thats that off to the right side of the photo? did someone forget there backpack? at least thats what it looks like to me. goin to have to get up there in the next couple of years.

iceman

Gateway North obviously does a great job.

I don't know the guy at Holinshead Lake Resort but I harvest timber on his Bear

Management Area and he has killed some nice ones this past week.

Pin cherries hit heavy this year and the bears have been tearing down trees all across my access roads.

I've been seeing 3 and 4 a day on the roads.

Boar - you have to make the trip when it works into your schedule. I know from talking with you that would have a blast. When you make it, just hold out and watch all the action first, unless the big boy comes in right away!

Thanks lucas, Im determined to get there man, No doubt we'd have a trip. Im comitted to take one step at a time, gona start the boarder pass application this weekend, an just chip away at the proccess of everything. I'm getting there for sure. Things might be starting to come together here cause we just wnet to 50 hr weeks at work. that means money can start to be cashed away. But i have to bait in the mornings owell, the things i do for bear. Later man I'll drop you a email soon. Boar

I've got some set ups on one end of my areas that would work great for you if bring up a bike. Shaker barrels are there and you would be amazed at the action. Just won't let you take a weapon in the first night so you get the full experience of multiple bears hammering the baits! Shoot me an email when you get a chance. It is busy here now, have 6 hunetrs starting tonight.

A peddle bike I assume, that be cool eaily carry a crossbow on that, tough haul buckets but i could attach baskets. Thanks lucas. Im shoot for it, one step at atime. Later baor

• 3 months later...

Do not want to discount then places already mentioned, but Chad and Michelle at Pasha Lake Cabins run a great bear package; wonderful bear hunts. Google Pasha Lake Cabins, can't beat it.