• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trying something new this year and staying at Kitchi Lake instead of regular place north of Bemidji, a couple weeks from now. Don't know much about Kitchi. Any fish in there? General spots to try fishing? Appreciate it.

I will tell you Kitchi is good springtime lake, good panfish and pike lake, and decent for eyes. This time of year , with the higher water temps, I'd spend more time on Cass. There are 7 lakes all connected by the Mississippi and Turtle rivers....all accessable by boat from Kitchi. Lots of depth changes/ structure, so a good map or gps chip is invaluable. Even downloading the dnr maps will help you locate some spots. You will see people trolling raps on some HUGE bars at night on Cass, north of Cedar island, and east of Star island, for eyes.

My boat is probably too small for Cass, but thanks anyways. Maybe take a trip down the chain and do some scouting.

Here's an idea if your luck on Kitchi is slow---run up river and fish Little Rice Lake (LMB, pannies, and pike).

Oh, and don't overlook chasing delectable Rock Bass on Kitchi near the reeds with a leech under a bobber.

How bout I catch em, and you can eat those rotten old things! Like the fight, thats about it.

What size boat/motor do you have? I started going up there with a 14' and shortshaft 15hp. I was on the southwest side of CASS near allens bay, and I could almost always get out to fish. The north end is bigger ,with little wind protection, so you would have to wait for a quiet day or evening, but if it happens, it would be worth trying. Otherwise upstream from Kitchi (on the Turtle River) ,you can fish Little Rice Lake or Big Rice Lake, or the river between the lakes. Panfish, pike, and bass would be likely up there. I'd probably try the west arm of Kitchi (where the river comes in), cause it is quite deep, and may not be affected so much by the hot weather. Where are you staying? Good luck.

14 footer with a 25 merc. Staying at Kitchi Landing, on north end. I did look at lake map, didn't realize Cass was so shallow all over.

I'll probably fart around with some raps or lindy rigs early AM and evening, see what happens. More of a family vaca, so not too worked up about fishing (at least on this trip), just wondering. If I can get kids on some northerns or sunnies, bonus. Thanks for the info.

That sounds like a put-down and is not fair to Soldon if it is indeed meant that way.

cardfan,

Your boat will work anywhere on the chain....but watch the wind, be selective where you go. We stay at the next resort east of yours. Cass has some BIG shallow bars, but also 100 feet deep in spots. Kitchi has many "humps" in it also, which could be good. Kitchi is known as a pike lake, but I don't have any experience there in August. MN Dnr has a Kitchi lake map on "lakefinder" also.

The harvester,

Actually I don't like crowds, so I stay on the outskirts instead . I was just giving him a clue about what other people do there. See what works on the lake....then find a quieter spot similar, is my idea. wink

Actually, I can't believe how informative you have been either!!! hahaha.

I probably won't do a lot of fishing on Cass/Kitchi anyways, but appreciate the help.If you see a guy in a red lund with a boat full of girls, swing over and say hi! Be up there next week (14-17)

Have fun. We try to get up there, for a few days,around Memorial Day . The lake is 1700 acres, so big enough.....but not too big to intimidate.

well there wont be an outside edge any more after this lol small lakes get hit hard we all learn after a few of your good lakes get burnt out

I had a cabin on Cass for 9 years... I don't think any cat was let out of the bag. Plenty of boats already at every spot disclosed. Those are the spots that are easy to get the info on. You will have company, but will most likely catch fish. in the end it's No biggee... fish in the group or strike out on your own and find your own spot. Those are the secrets never disclosed.

Good Luck!

Ken

Want to know my secret fishing hole this year on Cass??? Deadmans Bar, it is a very secretive spot so please do not tell anybody else. I limited out my walleye tickets for the wife and me with 2-22", 2-20", 3-19" and 5-18", we also ate about 30 more during our family fish frys while we were up there. That is where Brian and I caugth my personal best walleye of 26" this year, she was CPR'd in about three minutes to go make millions of more walleye babies!

Again, please using this spot sparingly, it is a very small hump in the lake and I don't want people fishing it out! (yes, my tongue is firmly placed in my cheek right now)

Windy

Just to clarify my previous post, the 22" walleyes and the 26" were CPR'd. Brian has always stressed that releasing the fish over 20" is a good idea since the meat is not as good on a big fish and they are the fish that make the most baby walleye for our children and grandchildren to catch. I stressed the fact that the 26" was let go in 3 minutes to let people know that it is important to get a few quick photos and then to let them go asap. All three of those big girls swam away without a problem and gave me a nice tail kick shower of Cass Lake water to remember them by when I catch them again next year!

Windy

Thanks C,

I just did not want anybody thinking I was keeping those big girls. Some of my family members have in the past but Brian from First Choice has taught me that those are the ones to turn loose and that they do not taste that good anyway. I know he only keeps 18 and unders to about 15 but he is up there year round. Us visitors want to take our limit home with us so we can enjoy a few meals throughout the year. Keeps up wanting to come back the next year!

Windy

Way to go Windy. A PB on both walleye and pike....NICE!

You ain'ta justa kiddin' when you say you can't wait for next yr.

Me either.